Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Riding in the dark!

• 12-11-2014 12:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭

No its not what you think you dirty b%$*$"!s! :pac:

So after a few weeks of no biking I'm back. Took a long spin yesterday and was on my way back home around 1am in the rain. The headlights of oncoming cars combined with the rain was blinding. I was wondering if the yellow tinted pin-lock insets help at all? There are many of us that commute so it would be good to hear if anyone has any tips or tricks to ease the glare from oncoming headlights

Hopefully will be out at the next Sunday Spin!:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I thought my eyesight was getting worse, I don't remember headlights being so blinding when out in the dark &/or rain. Could it be because of an increse in drivers with HIDs and better bulbs?

I find myself lifting the visor more in the rain than I do in the dry because of it.

I have no experince with yellow tinted visors, I was under the impression they were designed for the rain and not the dark though.

+1 for Sunday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

zubair wrote: »
    I thought my eyesight was getting worse, I don't remember headlights being so blinding when out in the dark &/or rain. Could it be because of an increse in drivers with HIDs and better bulbs?

I find myself lifting the visor more in the rain than I do in the dry because of it.

I have no experince with yellow tinted visors, I was under the impression they were designed for the rain and not the dark though.

+1 for Sunday!

I think you might be right about the HID's. Also alot of headlights are misaligned, there was a few moments where I might as well have had my eyes closed!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ninja_Spirit

I'd be interested to hear some tips from the pros, we often head out for spins and now having to come back in the evening when its dark is blimmin tough..not only having cagers right up you're arse but some of them risking dangerous overtakes and then we are being blinded by oncoming cars in corners. A friend told me look at the lines on the left and it will stop you drifting into oncoming traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭AD!

I'm in the same boat too. Def hard to see at night especially if it's raining.
    I've never used or even heard of yellow Tinted visors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Autonomous

I think its the double hit of light from the wet road as well.
    Yellow glasses or visor insert does very little and restricts some of your vision, i would not like to be in an accident if wearing a yellow insert, may cause the cops to say you had no clear view of road ahead...imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Autonomous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I'd be interested to hear some tips from the pros, we often head out for spins and now having to come back in the evening when its dark is blimmin tough..not only having cagers right up you're arse but some of them risking dangerous overtakes and then we are being blinded by oncoming cars in corners. A friend told me look at the lines on the left and it will stop you drifting into oncoming traffic.

A bit of throttle should keep the tailgaters and overtakers at bay.

Don't look at the lines, just don't look directly at the headlights. look where you want to go.

Disclaimer: I am not a pro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

zubair wrote: »
    ...look where you want to go.

opa935.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

I think the yellow tinted stuff is intended for gloomy overcast daylight, it's supposed to increase contrast. Haven't tried it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

DubVelo wrote: »
    I think the yellow tinted stuff is intended for gloomy overcast daylight, it's supposed to increase contrast. Haven't tried it myself.

It does help with goggles in low light or dusk. Suddenly becomes useless when it's properly dark, though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement