Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiibos....collector urge growing...

Options
  • 12-11-2014 1:06pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'm just curious as to why people are buying the Amiibos? I'm honestly not pushed abut them as gameplay enhancements.

But they look...so...pretty!!!

Am I the only one thinking of buying them all in the hopes they'll be worth something in years to come?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Somethings only worth something in years to come if it was rare or a limited production, Amiibos will be neither.
    Unless it's specific ones that you might get from Cereal tokens or Mcdonalds toys become a thing.

That being said, they'll make some handy stocking fillers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I've the Link and Shamus Samus ones ordered, only time will tell if I enjoy what you can do with them and if I like the other ones they release, and how well they're supported in the future.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,301 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm buying tem all to put over my bed to help shield my virginity from loose women of low morals.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    ...loose women of low morals.

Not sure she'd appreciate being called that!!! :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm buying tem all to put over my bed to help shield my virginity from loose women of low morals.

Somewhere there's a limerick girl doing this...

Glee1.gif

or more likely this

tumblr_ml3zjyGk2f1s2kzvmo1_500.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I'll buy them if they serve a purpose otherwise they will end up on the pile in my fortress of solitude aka the wardrobe I keep all my crap in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think I'll buy just one.
    With no mention of limited edition figures I reckon it's safe to take ones time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Probably pick up the Link, Zelda, Sheik and Toon Link ones for the Hyrule Warriors stuff, and maybe the Samus and DK cos they look cool :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Cormac... wrote: »
    Somethings only worth something in years to come if it was rare or a limited production, Amiibos will be neither.
    Unless it's specific ones that you might get from Cereal tokens or Mcdonalds toys become a thing.

That being said, they'll make some handy stocking fillers :)

Not always the case. I collect N64 games and Conkers Bad Fur Day, Banjo Tooie, Majora's Mask and Kirby Crystal Shards were neither rare nor limited production but they can cost a pretty penny now.

I had all of those and sold them for good money recently.
    I have Kirby for the N64 too and it's the Jap version, must sell it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

They will only keep value if they're

Stinky-Pete-Toy-Story-2.jpg

I hope their isn't any exclusive or limited edition crap with these.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

As the comicbook guy in the simpsons once said upon opening his mint in box phaser

NOOOOOO!! it's no longer a collectable. MIB ain't just alien hunters it is the code we live by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    There will be certain exclusives for certain stores

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Don't know what they do, or why I should buy them.

But I'll buy all the Zelda and Mario ones.

As usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Is GameStop not selling Amiibos? I see no advertising on their website at all.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    They will only keep value if they're

Stinky-Pete-Toy-Story-2.jpg

I think that one will be on Disney Infinity 3.0!
    Actually, it's kind of surprising they didn't put out a Stinky Pete character already!

So anyone know where in Dublin will be getting these in? Im thinking either Gamestop or Smyths, not much elsewhere that would get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭smokingman

Fekkit, I'm getting one. Which one though? Link because he's also supported in mk8 and hyrule warriors (which I'm getting soon) or Captain Falcon because he turns the mii in mk8 into pure awesomeness!.....decisions decisions....

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Is Capain Falcon out yet? The Smyths website says it's not released until mid December.

Did a run round the city centre, no sign in Smyths (didnt look too hard but they have Smash on WiiU for €50), Gamestop is €17 a piece for Amiibos or its €14 in Argos. Picked up Link and Samus, tempted by Donkey Kong but some stores are waiting till tomorrow for shipments.
    Is Capain Falcon out yet? The Smyths website says it's not released until mid December.

Yeah 2nd wave in December is Cpt Falcon, Diddy Kong, Zelda, Luigi, Little Mac and Pitt. Currently released ones are Mario, Peach, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Link, Fox, Samus, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Pikachu, Kirby, and Marth.

• Advertisement

Cool, good to know.

I almost picked one up today, but I couldn't decide. I'll more than likely end up with Smash and MK8 at Christmas, and would like to get one that works with both. I was pretty tempted by Pikachu though, ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭souleater3000

I picked up Link in Smyths yesterday, they have them in Jervis St for €15 each, they didn't have a display tho they had Mario and Yoshi at the checkout and you have to ask for them. Picked up Fox in Argos for €14 but they only had 1 of him and most of the others they didnt have so they must of got maybe 1 or two of each. Gamestop in Henry st and Stephens Green didn't have a sign or anything up for amiibo at all and I didn't bother to ask, I assumed they were not got be selling them, nothing on there website either. So go with SMyths or Argos if its in stock when buying amiibo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I was in gamestop Stephens green a few hours ago, they have a huge amiibo sign in the window and a good few on display right behind the counter.

Gamestop spelled it wrong on their site. Search Amibo and it should come up.

Gamestop spelled it wrong on their site. Search Amibo and it should come up.

Lol
    all I got with that was the Smash with Mario one tho, no others.

Maybe they put there amiibo stuff out today?
    On a side note I like how GS in the Green looks now, one shelf down the middle much better and more room to move in it

Lol
    all I got with that was the Smash with Mario one tho, no others.

Maybe they put there amiibo stuff out today?
    On a side note I like how GS in the Green looks now, one shelf down the middle much better and more room to move in it

I don't know tbh. I'm convinced I saw a list of them on their website yesterday. The best price here will probably be argos, but their stock levels are crap.

They had them behind the counter in the Liffey St store (only 6, guy said he was waiting on his full shipment later that day, and he had laready sold his only Gamecube adaptor) and saw some of the staff clearing space upstairs in the Henry St store, just in front of the counter.

Picked up Donkey Kong today, just because he looks pretty snazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭smokingman

Saw them in gamestop for 18 quid and laughed in the poor fellas face. Straight to argos so

smokingman wrote: »
    Saw them in gamestop for 18 quid and laughed in the poor fellas face. Straight to argos so

Just sitting here laughing at this now, when I pick up more I'll be getting them in Argos if possible otherwise just and extra euro in Smyths.

Also waiting to see how much cex will be selling them for, if anybody trades them in of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I want a Wario one.

Advertisement