Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiibos....collector urge growing...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

eoghanie wrote: »
    Yeah I've used playasia myself. Definitely a good place to look if you can't get them elsewhere. But if you're ordering 3 or 4 Amiibos from them you'll be hit with a whopper of a customs charge!

Another good place to keep an eye on is Nippon-Yassan. You may also get hit with Customs charges when buying from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Naydy

I wanted to pick up all the Fire Emblem amiibos but Lucina and Robin are ridiculously expensive/hard to get. Really disappointing, but at least I got Marth and Ike for reasonable money.

You nearly have to laugh at how nuts the whole thing has gotten and how hard people are trying to make a few quid off them, I mean look at this... thing :eek: :D

Naydy wrote: »
    I mean look at this... thing :eek: :D

That's ridiculous.. (Please let it be a kid..)

This Thursday:
    amiibo Touch & Play: Nintendo Classic Highlights (Nintendo, free) - The latest use for those amiibo toys you've probably been collecting, this app contains segements of 30 Virtual Console games, and you can simply scan an amiibo on the GamePad to access a random sample. You can 'assign' an amiibo to a specific game and take on up to 10 three minute 'scenes' from that title; we'll bring you our impressions of the app when it launches.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Rodeire

Hi all,

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a each of the new wave 4 but I m still missing, toad, little Mac and Rosalina. If anyone is thinking of giving up the chase and has boxed versions of the above amiibo I would be more than happy to pay a little over the cost and of course shipping to cork, or id also be happy to collect. This bug I've caught is super addictive. Happy hunting all. ��

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Rodeire wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a each of the new wave 4 but I m still missing, toad, little Mac and Rosalina. If anyone is thinking of giving up the chase and has boxed versions of the above amiibo I would be more than happy to pay a little over the cost and of course shipping to cork, or id also be happy to collect. This bug I've caught is super addictive. Happy hunting all. ��

http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/e/q/amiibo.end?_requestid=11727

Toad goes in and out of stock here all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

http://www.adverts.ie/nintendo/wario-amiibo-eu-version/7892773 this person is hilarious, keeps trying to sell commons for a huge mark up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Rodeire wrote: »
    boxed versions

There's a question, are people generally opening them or keeping them in the boxes? I've opened all mine cos I like how they look without the packaging and hope they will get more and more use in games.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭narmst

Personally I find the tendency to blame re-sellers and 'scalpers' for the shortage to be misguided.

Let's take Ness.

If you check adverts.ie / amazon.co.uk / amazon.com / ebay.ie / ebay.com .. combine a ton of 'reseller' sites you'll probably find about 200 Ness for resale WORLDWIDE.

For example this search (which removes bundles and preorders) "amiibo ness -case -wario -custom -pre-order -splatoon -preorder"
    on ebay.com shows 43 results.

Let's say we multiple the factor of resales by 10 and we say that there's 2000 Ness for resale worldwide - >>>> THIS ISN'T THE REASON FOR THE WORLDWIDE SHORTAGE

I would agree with people blaming scalpers if it was the actual problem but .. in fairness .. a handful (literally a drop in the ocean) of these are being resold for profit.

The problem (if you want to call it that) is that Nintendo just aren't making enough of them. Taking Ness.
    Argos Ireland 0. Smyths 0. Gamestop (I called every one in this country) about 5.
    So there's the problem right there .. literally a handful of these figures came into Ireland.

Stop the witchhunt on the one in a million person who has bought and wants to resell.

Besides .. that's commerce .. law of supply and demand .. if something is in short supply it will push up the price.
    You can't blame the reseller for a high resale price when Nintendo have bottlenecked supply.

I know it doesn't suit people who are angry at not getting the figure they want (and I'm one of those who didn't get this wave) but it's senseless to blame ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭souleater3000

elekid wrote: »
    There's a question, are people generally opening them or keeping them in the boxes? I've opened all mine cos I like how they look without the packaging and hope they will get more and more use in games.

I was keeping mine in the boxes near the start till I had about 16 but they just took up too much room, now I have them all opened and displayed on 2 shelves

narmst wrote: »
    Personally I find the tendency to blame re-sellers and 'scalpers' for the shortage to be misguided.

Let's take Ness.

If you check adverts.ie / amazon.co.uk / amazon.com / ebay.ie / ebay.com .. combine a ton of 'reseller' sites you'll probably find about 200 Ness for resale WORLDWIDE.

For example this search (which removes bundles and preorders) "amiibo ness -case -wario -custom -pre-order -splatoon -preorder"
    on ebay.com shows 43 results.

Let's say we multiple the factor of resales by 10 and we say that there's 2000 Ness for resale worldwide - >>>> THIS ISN'T THE REASON FOR THE WORLDWIDE SHORTAGE

I would agree with people blaming scalpers if it was the actual problem but .. in fairness .. a handful (literally a drop in the ocean) of these are being resold for profit.

The problem (if you want to call it that) is that Nintendo just aren't making enough of them. Taking Ness.
    Argos Ireland 0. Smyths 0. Gamestop (I called every one in this country) about 5.
    So there's the problem right there .. literally a handful of these figures came into Ireland.

Stop the witchhunt on the one in a million person who has bought and wants to resell.

Besides .. that's commerce .. law of supply and demand .. if something is in short supply it will push up the price.
    You can't blame the reseller for a high resale price when Nintendo have bottlenecked supply.

I know it doesn't suit people who are angry at not getting the figure they want (and I'm one of those who didn't get this wave) but it's senseless to blame ebay.

Except when the reseller is buying the amiibo to just sell at a higher price to begin with its going to tick people off because there arn't many coming into the country and some people are buying them to sell for a profit rather than wanting to actually just collect them like the rest of us.

• Advertisement

Except when the reseller is buying the amiibo to just sell at a higher price to begin with its going to tick people off because there arn't many coming into the country and some people are buying them to sell for a profit rather than wanting to actually just collect them like the rest of us.

But again the root problem isn't the reseller.
    It isn't like 1000 came into Ireland and 995 are now on adverts.ie

You can't say the root cause is scalpers (which is what everyone seems to focus on) when the root cause is lack of stock.

Take this meteorite that was supposed to hit Ireland last Sunday.
    If you find it on a beach you're not going to say 'this is just a rock so I'll give it to xyz for free' .. you're going to say 'this is a very rare item and I'll sell it for what the market pays'.
    You can't be blamed for that. You'd be crazy to do otherwise.

Nintendo are creating both the demand and the low supply.
    Reseller's can't sell at a higher than stock price if there's supply.
    All I'm saying is expecting the market not to respond like a democratic market when faced with a low supply/in demand item - makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    http://www.adverts.ie/nintendo/wario-amiibo-eu-version/7892773 this person is hilarious, keeps trying to sell commons for a huge mark up :D

Seriously? Bit of kettle and black there is it not? Doesn't matter if they are common or not. Huge mark up is huge mark up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

narmst wrote: »
    But again the root problem isn't the reseller.
    It isn't like 1000 came into Ireland and 995 are now on adverts.ie

You can't say the root cause is scalpers (which is what everyone seems to focus on) when the root cause is lack of stock.

Take this meteorite that was supposed to hit Ireland last Sunday.
    If you find it on a beach you're not going to say 'this is just a rock so I'll give it to xyz for free' .. you're going to say 'this is a very rare item and I'll sell it for what the market pays'.
    You can't be blamed for that. You'd be crazy to do otherwise.

Nintendo are creating both the demand and the low supply.
    Reseller's can't sell at a higher than stock price if there's supply.
    All I'm saying is expecting the market not to respond like a democratic market when faced with a low supply/in demand item - makes no sense.

I don't think anyone is focusing on the scalpers as the cause to be honest, just being rightly criticised for outrageous mark ups. Everyone knows its Nintendo's short supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

These will turn up in TK MAX sooner or later everything always does whats pissing me off is stores know the demand but wont meet it yet they keep getting more of wave one in. Stupid really.

These will turn up in TK MAX sooner or later everything always does whats pissing me off is stores know the demand but wont meet it yet they keep getting more of wave one in. Stupid really.

I hear you .. I'm missing a Ness / Robin / Lucina .. I've all the others to date.
    I'm not loving when I see them on ebay as I've not played over the cost price for any yet.
    However .. I have to admit that if I want to 'catch 'em all' I'm going to have to pay over the odds.

One of the painful parts for me is that I had a preorder of all of this wave but I put in 2xWario (I fancied another for my desk) and Nintendo cancelled it because it .. after my order .. started this 1 Amiibo per user policy. I appealed that this wasn't fair but at that point my order was cancelled / stock was gone and they couldn't help me.

I almost got the Greninja / Jigglypuff but again Nintendo site mess up.
    They announced it was on sale at 3pm (I have an email offering that time and I logged in a few minutes before) but actually started it at 2:52 and by about 2:55 they were sold out.

Again I appealed to them saying you can't do a 'fixed time' then do a 'surprise release' but again stock was gone so that was that.

I have Dark Pit / Zero Suit wave on pre-order and Yoshi set on pre-order with Nintendo uk store and Splatoon set with game.co.uk

So to date I'm missing Ness, Robin, Lucina, Greninja and Jigglypuff.
    No clue where to find them ...

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭FallSilently

Does Game.co.uk send to Ireland? They warn it's UK only.

Does Game.co.uk send to Ireland? They warn it's UK only.

They sent me my Wario last week, and haven't cancelled my Jigglypuff order, yet..

Amazon uk put up Jiggly and Greninja not too long ago and the woolly yoshi. Gone now id say but keep an eye out.

Hmm, they keep rejecting my payment. Ah well.

Does it say why? I'm wondering if its to do with your country or location

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

I had to use PayPal to get around that when I was ordering Zero Suit Samus and Ganondorf. It took me an hour when they first went up, but it was all for nothing. I'm going to cancel my Game order, since I just managed to secure those two from Amazon.

I tried it by paypal first. Rejected for fraud reasons. Then credit card, fraud again. They only have four still available, though, so chances are at this stage either my order'd be cancelled for lack of stock, or those four will be common anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnf26

I tried it by paypal first. Rejected for fraud reasons. Then credit card, fraud again. They only have four still available, though, so chances are at this stage either my order'd be cancelled for lack of stock, or those four will be common anyway.

game wont post amiibo stuff to internationals and other stuff they will but they clamped down on the amiibos as Americans etc were ordering off them...it was just there way to stop them/us buying all the amiibos but you can use parcel motel and it should work

Oh yeah, forgot to mention I'm using Parcel Motel for my orders

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

johnf26 wrote: »
    game wont post amiibo stuff to internationals and other stuff they will but they clamped down on the amiibos as Americans etc were ordering off them...it was just there way to stop them/us buying all the amiibos but you can use parcel motel and it should work

Strange, I got my Ness, Pac man and Wario from Game with no problems last week. sent to Dublin, but I did pre-order them in January.

Yeah, I saw yarn yoshi was up on Amazon there at lunch, £17 for blue one. Have one ordered from shopto so not too bothered.

After yoshi Amiibo I'm done with these things. Totally pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Only Amiibo I am interested in is Pacman. Anyone know anywhere in Limerick I might be able to pick one up ?

Yeah I'm near my limit, too. I'm just a collector, when I saw these announced I figured they'd be cool to go for, one of each, but it's turned out to be complete madness. I got all 6 Mario series ones but eh, I'm not that gone on them to be honest. I don't have any great interest in the Splattoon or Yoshi ones, either - Yoshi in particular, three of the same, just different colours? Having a laugh, Nintendo. I've also got no great interest in Gold Mario. I figure I'll struggle through the Smash series and then, we'll see.

I've a brother living in Japan. The wave released today, but unfortunately he was working and missed the rush. He did manage to track me down a Pac-Man, so I just need Ness, Lucina and Robin. Don't believe the stories, I was over there myself a couple of weeks ago and their shops are just as bare as ours.

Have no idea if this works, or is any use.. Just came across it following a link from a blog.

http://www.amiibofigures.uk/

Wave 5 on amazon I hear

Seems they are gone, still had a Dark Pit at last check tho.

Also http://mynintendonews.com/2015/04/29/rumour-rare-amiibo-getting-restocked-for-europe-in-summer/ tho this is just a rumor

• Advertisement

I have an unboxed 'Smash Bros' Bowser that I would trade for unboxed Sheik or Lucario if anyone is interested.

I also have an unboxed 'Smash Bros' Luigi that I would trade for a 'Super Mario' Luigi :p

Advertisement