Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiibos....collector urge growing...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭FallSilently

Where's the best place to trade amiibos? I was part of a facebook group, but it was all Americans and the postage was a little prohibitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

You may find some folks here for that.

Personally I've a Wario up for grabs, interested in any of the Splatoon ones, or Zelda.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭Nollog

I just ordered that triple pack for splatoon, thanks reallylongnamepersonAAHHHHH.

Hopefully will unlock everything fast and can get rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 commanderx11

I have Greninja and Jiggly from argos and was wondering if there's any out of box collectors that would trade with me for another Jiggly and greninja because the argos ones have a big sticker on the side which is proving really difficult to remove.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Again, I have the Villiager here bnib and for trade for Dedede or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I haven't opened my Greninja yet, the box is in perfect condition. I'm not against helping you if you can meet in Dublin City Centre on a weekday.
    I have an opened Smash Bowser and an unopened Ike for trade for Lucario, Sheik or SMB Luigi

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

A bit about counterfeit Amiibos. - http://infoamiibo.com/premieres-contrefacon-amiibo/

Their twitter - https://twitter.com/infoamiibo

Allyall wrote: »

What I don't get is if they have the ability to clone the nfc stuff, why waste the money making figurines for them, when they could sell them at a much higher profit margin as chips or cards.

they could've at least have got a bunch of mario mcdonald toys and just put a nfc chip in those instead. So much more money to be made than how they're doing it.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    What I don't get is if they have the ability to clone the nfc stuff, why waste the money making figurines for them, when they could sell them at a much higher profit margin as chips or cards.

they could've at least have got a bunch of mario mcdonald toys and just put a nfc chip in those instead. So much more money to be made than how they're doing it.

The appeal of amiibo has always been more for being figures than for their game content - which is minimal. Any counterfeiter's going to need to replicate the figures if they hope to shift anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

There's no suggestion that they function as Amiibo. Then again you wouldn't want to be the news outlet that let /that/ slip, prompting a tonne of knockoff orders.

• Advertisement

The appeal of amiibo has always been more for being figures than for their game content - which is minimal. Any counterfeiter's going to need to replicate the figures if they hope to shift anything.

I'm in my own world then, I just want to unlock the content Nintendo put behind a paywall of physical DLC because the Wii U wasn't making enough money.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

/\/ollog wrote: »
    I'm in my own world then, I just want to unlock the content Nintendo put behind a paywall of physical DLC because the Wii U wasn't making enough money.

Don't quote me on this, but can't you already do that for many of them through an Android device?
    An Amiibo NFC Emulator or something?

I remember when I decided I wasn't going to try and collect them all, I looked up if there was much difference between the actual character software.
    I think websites like amiibodex.com allow you to backup your amiibo, should you ever lose them.

They DON'T allow you to share the backups with other people. It's purely for you to backup your amiibo.

But, I think there are probably others that may allow you to swap/share.

EDIT:
    I Genuinely have no idea. I just remembered I had thought it may be possible. It's also very possible nintendo have locked them down with additional methods.

i saw that website today, it looks like their app was removed from the play store.

You need android 4.4 for the cloning to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭souleater3000

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

A full series of Pokemon amiibos wouldn't make sense. Even aside from the ridiculous size and expense of the collection, what possible use would we have for mid-stages like Charmeleon or Sealeo or Pik... Metapod? While I definitely expect a Pokemon series at some point, I doubt it'll be definitive.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Picked this fellow up yesterday after finding him quite by accident in Smyths!

45606132-377E-4CC8-996E-ED8E2EF27FC5_zpsdrpgr6hh.jpg

Almost fell asleep at the wheel on the way home for some reason. :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

A full series of Pokemon amiibos wouldn't make sense. Even aside from the ridiculous size and expense of the collection, what possible use would we have for mid-stages like Charmeleon or Sealeo or Pik... Metapod? While I definitely expect a Pokemon series at some point, I doubt it'll be definitive.

YOU LEAVE METAPOD ALONE... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Picked up a Meta Knight in Smyths in Limerick just there. They actually had a load. I was in shock!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭eoghanie

So my boy and girl inklings were due from Amazon this week. Missed a call while I was at work Wednesday but no voicemail left. Missed call from same number yesterday, this time the delivery driver left a message. Tried to call him today but no answer. Started to get worried as I know if delivery fails a certain number of times it might get sent back. So I ring delivery company. On phone with them for ten minutes. No record of my name or address. The tracking number from Amazon wasn't recognized by their system. Started to get a bit annoyed that my Amiibos were going to go missing. I asked why didn't the driver leave a voicemail the first day? Why didn't he attempt delivery today? Why isn't he answering his phone? I asked the girl if I give her the drivers number can she track him down? She said she'd try. Puts me on hold for 3 minutes. Comes back on sounding slightly annoyed. "That driver works for Fastways". "Yeah, so?". "This is Nightline". "Oh...........apologies. Bye."

Morto....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭iggyigauna89

So do people actually open their amiibos and use the in game or just keep them in their original packaging for resale later??

I've ordered the splatoon 3 pack and am torn on whether to open or not seeing as they are turning into serious collectors items!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Personally I only buy the ones I want, and use them. I have the two Links, Samus and Sheik. Bought a Wario for a friend who'd managed to get one just before that, as there doesn't seem to be anyone looking for it, I'll return it. Looking for the inklings and Zelda at the minute, have pre ordered Ganondorf and Zero Suit Samus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So do people actually open their amiibos and use the in game or just keep them in their original packaging for resale later??

I've ordered the splatoon 3 pack and am torn on whether to open or not seeing as they are turning into serious collectors items!

I was torn once, but some sutures, coagulant and a promise from the wife not to do it again saw me right!

I only buy the ones I want and open them, so far haven't succumbed to the Amiibomadness.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I opened my Marth but haven't used it yet, also opened my Link upon purchase to see the detail on the hylian shield, got another one in CeX for €10 which I'll be keeping sealed.

I have all mine opened and leveled up to 50 on Smash. Except for the six Mario ones. I don't own a WiiU so I don't have anything to use those with.

I don't buy them to use with the games, I just collect them for myself. Opened, both for space reasons and because I treat it as a personal collection rather than an investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I don't open them. I don't even take them out of the delivery boxes or bags.
    I'm going to sell them all in 2045 for thousands and I buy them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Megas

Meta Knight and Marth have been flickering on german amazon for 15 euro (it's about 23 euro shipped I think) if anyone is missing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Just put up a spare Jigglypuff I have on Adverts for cost price if anyone is looking for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

I saw 2 Meta Knights in Smyths Galway today about an hour ago.

• Advertisement

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I don't open them. I don't even take them out of the delivery boxes or bags.
    I'm going to sell them all in 2045 for thousands and I buy them all.

You'll open the shipping boxes in 2045 and find a picture of a 10 year old DHL driver's daughter smiling with 20 amiibos.

Advertisement