Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiibos....collector urge growing...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Jebus I need to be sectioned before those Animal Crossing cards come out. I'll spend my rent and food budget every week on the damn things. I bet there will be one, only one card that no one can get for ages but we will all have hundreds of the stupid common cards before the end.

I can help you with that, I work in the field and know a guy....

And we prefer the term "period of protective detention" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,147 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Can he do a total frontal lobotomy in exchange for a Blue Yarn Yoshi?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Can he do a total frontal lobotomy in exchange for a Blue Yarn Yoshi?

I certainly can, I have a sharpened crochet hook right here!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭FallSilently

The price my brother paid in-store was the equivilent of €2.50.

Hmm. Is there anybody here mad enough to try to get four Mr. Game & Watches? He comes with four interchangeable poses but only one base. I know some die-hard American collectors want to have all four on display, but they're only getting G&W as part of an expensive, retailer-exclusive triple-pack with ROB and Duck Hunt. Will our (presumed) solo G&Ws become rarer as a result?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

The price my brother paid in-store was the equivilent of €2.50.

You can bet they'll be twice that (€4.99) if/when they're available here. If we're lucky. :pac:
    Here's some maths kids. :) Assuming €4.99 is the worst price for a pack of 3, if we happen to get extremely lucky and buy exactly the right cards we need, for each season it'd cost us €169.66 (for 34 packets/102 cards at €4.99 each), and for all 4 proposed seasons, that's 134 packets (402 cards) for €668.66. :pac:

Best case scenario, they go for €2.49 each, that's €84.66 a season.
    €2.99 packs? €101.66 per season.
    €3.99 a packet? €135.66 per season.

Hmm. Is there anybody here mad enough to try to get four Mr. Game & Watches? He comes with four interchangeable poses but only one base. I know some die-hard American collectors want to have all four on display, but they're only getting G&W as part of an expensive, retailer-exclusive triple-pack with ROB and Duck Hunt. Will our (presumed) solo G&Ws become rarer as a result?

You probably need an intervention....

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭souleater3000

A part of me would like to have all 4 G&W on display but then I'd have 16 G&W overall. What they should of done was allow you to order a base without a chip in it so its cheap. A G&W collection or something, all 4 poses only 1 base has a chip or something like that

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    You probably need an intervention....

Jayzus I'm not doing that. I didn't even bother with all three Yarn Yoshis. But if this intervention has free snacks then yes please.
    Here's some maths kids. smile.png Assuming €4.99 is the worst price for a pack of 3, if we happen to get extremely lucky and buy exactly the right cards we need, for each season it'd cost us €169.66 (for 34 packets/102 cards at €4.99 each), and for all 4 proposed seasons, that's 134 packets (402 cards) for €668.66. pacman.gif

It's worse than that. The 100 cards break down to 17 rares and 83 commons. With 2 commons per pack, that's at least 42 packs to get the full set, assuming a perfect run.

I'm hoping the prices here will top out at €3.50, with places like Smyths a bit lower. Pokemon has I think 12 cards in a pack for €4-€5 in most places, and NFC or no NFC parents would seriously balk at getting only three cards for that price. €3.50 puts a pack of these into Lego Minifigures range where they might be okay.

I really wish Nintendo had thrown in a character card inside the box with amiibo figures in the first place. I'm always reluctant to discard the boxes because of the unique artwork that each box has, as it's destroyed somewhat once it's opened. It'd have been nice to have a unique (non-NFC) card to go along with each character figurine, with some basic facts and stats, it wouldn't have killed them to have done this. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I'll see how much complete collection sets of the cards go for on Ebay I'd rather buy them all together seen the Japan collection going for around 300 euro which I don't think is that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭souleater3000

Gamestop Henry st and Stephens green have a few of the last wave on the shelf to sell. And Smyths Jervis st have Luigi, charizard, bowser jr and one or two other rarer ones on the shelf aswell.

McLoughlin wrote: »
    I'll see how much complete collection sets of the cards go for on Ebay I'd rather buy them all together seen the Japan collection going for around 300 euro which I don't think is that bad.

€3 a card with it being €2.50 or there abouts a pack it is good, here who knows how much we will be charged by the great gougers, I will buy 5 packs on day one and if I get all unique cards I will buy some more if I get duplicates right off the bat I'll buy more too but not as much

I am very fearful of the Pokemon tcg prospects where this concept is concerned, Legend of Zelda too, Nintendo has enough bloody mascots and games to drive us all into the poor/crazy house as we are all suckers, hope they do a Mii series of the famous Nintendo executives in card form.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Ninty Execs? Granted there'd be a limited market for Iwata and Miyamoto but I can't see even Aonuma being a big seller. But these cards must be really cheap to produce - Surely for a mere 2000 or so Club Nintendo points you could submit your own Mii to them (either Plaza or SSB) along with it's name and they'll print you your own unique Mii-based Amiibo card? Think of it as your Nintendo drivers license...

Good lord the serious collectors would hang themselves.

Banjo wrote: »
    Ninty Execs? Granted there'd be a limited market for Iwata and Miyamoto but I can't see even Aonuma being a big seller. But these cards must be really cheap to produce - Surely for a mere 2000 or so Club Nintendo points you could submit your own Mii to them (either Plaza or SSB) along with it's name and they'll print you your own unique Mii-based Amiibo card? Think of it as your Nintendo drivers license...

That's a great idea...

And don't call be Shirley...

Not since the Mariokart trophies went up it's not. Now I want the price to be either 1,700 points or less, or for it to be offered for free to anyone who accrued more than say 10,000 points in their club account lifetime. I'd be gutted to miss out now :D

Spotted a couple of Pacman (...pac-men?) in Smyths Galway if anyone is looking for him :pac::pac:

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    That's a great idea...

And don't call be Shirley...

I doubt it the kids would get that joke these days, Leslie Nielsen has been gone too long. :(

Amiibo related news time, Greninja will be making an appearance round these parts(Smyths) from tomorrow onwards, more King Dedede too for those that missed him first time round.

I doubt it the kids would get that joke these days, Leslie Nielsen has been gone too long. :(

Amiibo related news time, Greninja will be making an appearance round these parts(Smyths) from tomorrow onwards, more King Dedede too for those that missed him first time round.

Yep I saw 3 Greninjas in the Galway store earlier as well, and King Dedede and Toads and a bunch of the other rabble too. :)

• Advertisement

I doubt it the kids would get that joke these days, Leslie Nielsen has been gone too long. :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Grey Wind

Greninja and a couple of others have appeared on Smyths' website, does that mean they'll probably be in stock online soon?

I'm banking on the new improved stock levels eventually leading to a 2 for 15 deal on Amiibo like they have on Skylanders and Infinity, and Puzzles n Dragons Z retaining it's €15 trade in price. Wait for me Zelda! We shall be together soon!

Robin is up there now a few days now still no stock though :(, each store district seems to have different delivery days, Dublin area is Tuesday and Thursday so Robin might pop up on Tuesday, hopefully for me.

I think the fact that a lot of the usual figures (Mario Yoshi Bowser etc) are not selling great any more might be an issue too.

Banjo wrote: »
    I'm banking on the new improved stock levels eventually leading to a 2 for 15 deal on Amiibo like they have on Skylanders and Infinity, and Puzzles n Dragons Z retaining it's €15 trade in price. Wait for me Zelda! We shall be together soon!

Which store has Zelda, I think these will go to 3 for 2 rather than 2 for €20, maybe after Christmas the dregs will go cheap, that price for Puzzles won't last forever neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

Robin is up there now a few days now still no stock though :(

The UK site had (and still has) Robin stock. It looks like it was added to both sites at the same time despite there being no stock for Irish customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭iggyigauna89

Have any of you fine folk had any experience ordering Amiibos from Littlewoods? They seem to have a few in stock, I'm looking at the Greninja, Toon Link & Sonic in particular, along with the Yoshi Wolly world game.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

I ordered Yoshi, Bowser and Sonic last Wednesday evening from them. Yoshi arrived via regular post on Tuesday and the other two came by courier yesterday. There weren't any problems with damage to the packaging, if that's something that bothers you.

You maybe right about both sites updating but nit getting the same stock. Hopefully we do get some Robin next week.

• Advertisement

I've also used Littlewoods and yeah, the experience was solid.

Advertisement