Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiibos....collector urge growing...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'll definitely be getting that Wolf Link amiibo. If Midna wasn't on his back in it, it'd most likely be a different story!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,645 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Waiting for that Cloud Stife amiibo. Anybody else not happy with him being in Smash?

Yes. He shouldn't be in the game. We haven't had a true Final Fantasy console game in over 20 years, right back to the SNES and this is how Nintendo reward them. It's Snake all over again. I think of Cloud as a Sony character. What does he have to do with Nintendo?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭FallSilently

Nintendo should be thankful they're getting any Final Fantasy games at all. That series has always been about pushing the boundaries of spectacle and Nintendo long ago lost interest in doing that, in favour of gimmicks and being comfortable. Make no mistakes, Square's jump to Playstation was Nintendo's fault. That said, I do understand where the Cloud irritation stems from - FFVII was the game that signified Square's abandonment of Nintendo platforms, and in a massive way too. Heck, now that you mention it, I think I consider him (and all FF since) to be Sony too. However, I definitely stand by Cloud's validity on the Smash roster. Snake always felt uncomfortable but Cloud fits better, stylistically. He can represent the 32-Bit era, which has been absent until now, and while it is Nintendo-led, I like the idea of Smash representing the history of console gaming (as long as it's Japanese, but that's another thread). And anyway, if Nintendo's great rival Sonic can be there, Spiky-Hair the prodigal son can too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

sligeach wrote: »
    Yes. He shouldn't be in the game. We haven't had a true Final Fantasy console game in over 20 years, right back to the SNES and this is how Nintendo reward them. It's Snake all over again. I think of Cloud as a Sony character. What does he have to do with Nintendo?

But isn't that point of added characters, that it's either something different and a surprise or it's a lower level character from games. What's this about 'rewarding' them? There's no qualifying terms for a character in Smash, I'm sure they asked other companies for use of their characters and were probably turned down too for whatever reason. It's just a surprise character in a game, it's neither a reward or will have no ripple effect on anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,147 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Amiibo cards series 2 drop next week. €4.99 a pack in Smyths and Argos now for series 1. The search for Tom Nook just got cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Shadow Mewtwo amiibo card with Pokemon Tourament on Wii U next year.I guess thats the start of Pokemon Amiibo h

Corholio wrote: »
    But isn't that point of added characters, that it's either something different and a surprise or it's a lower level character from games. What's this about 'rewarding' them? There's no qualifying terms for a character in Smash, I'm sure they asked other companies for use of their characters and were probably turned down too for whatever reason. It's just a surprise character in a game, it's neither a reward or will have no ripple effect on anything.

There are qualifying terms for Smash DLC characters. Sakurai said he would only consider nominations for characters who started originally in video games. So there's no room for the likes of Batman, Harry Potter, TMNT, etc. Smash is a celebration of Nintendo's franchises and laterly games on Nintendo systems. Cloud has no history with Nintendo unless you count the slap which Square gave Nintendo when Cloud and FF VII from originally being planned for the N64, moved to PS instead and has never returned since. I doubt any company would turn down a place in Smash Bros. It's quite the opposite in fact. This is free advertising for Square Enix and the upcoming remake of FF VII with no promise of anything in return, at least none that we know of. And Nintendo would have had to pay Square Enix a royalty to use the character and franchise.

And Nintendo would have had to pay Square Enix a royalty to use the character and franchise.

I doubt they'd be paying any royalty, I'd say Square were delighted to have him in the game.

I don't know what the terms are. It could be anything, perhaps Square Enix taking the profits made on the inevitable Cloud amiibo. Sakuai doesn't seem to care what we think. He does what he wants and it's more than likely his last Smash game. When you look at Ryu, Snake and Cloud, none of them have featured in a mainline game on a Nintendo console since the SNES(20 years). The only reason reputedly that Snake got in Brawl was because Sakurai and Kojima are such good friends. There are far more deserving characters than Cloud. Cloud is to Sony like what Master Chief is to Microsoft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I agree about Cloud seeming like an odd choice for Nintendo unless there's more to it that we don't know yet. However, he is in the 3DS Theatrhythm games and maybe also appeared in some of the handheld Kingdom Hearts games so if you want to be really pedantic it wouldn't be his first appearance on a Nintendo system :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭souleater3000

elekid wrote: »
    I agree about Cloud seeming like an odd choice for Nintendo unless there's more to it that we don't know yet. However, he is in the 3DS Theatrhythm games and maybe also appeared in some of the handheld Kingdom Hearts games so if you want to be really pedantic it wouldn't be his first appearance on a Nintendo system :)

Cloud was in the Spin offs but none of his main FFVII games were on a Nintendo console. Thats why I wanted Sora. 4 of the Kingdom Hearts games are on Nintendo consoles. Tho I mostly wanted a Sora amiibo. If cloud gets a Sora colour ill riot :P

When you look at Ryu, Snake and Cloud, none of them have featured in a mainline game on a Nintendo console since the SNES(20 years).

Twin Snakes...?

Ryu was also in Tatsunoko vs Capcom on the Wii and SF4 3D. In fairness, Street Fighter itself was in hiatus for a long time after SFIII.

Ryu was also in Tatsunoko vs Capcom on the Wii and SF4 3D. In fairness, Street Fighter itself was in hiatus for a long time after SFIII.

More spin-offs. Street Fighter has not been on a Nintendo console since the SNES.

Star Lord wrote: »
    Twin Snakes...?

Nope. It was a remake, made by second party Silicon Knights and funded by Nintendo.

Cloud was in the Spin offs but none of his main FFVII games were on a Nintendo console. Thats why I wanted Sora. 4 of the Kingdom Hearts games are on Nintendo consoles. Tho I mostly wanted a Sora amiibo. If cloud gets a Sora colour ill riot

You mean handhelds, Kingdom Hearts has never been on a Nintendo console. And like you said they were spin-off handheld games.

So like I said earlier, we've not had a mainline Street Fighter, Metal Gear or Final Fantasy for 20 years, since the SNES. Capcom, Konami and Square have ignored us Nintendo console owners for decades with a lot of franchises or given us cheap spin-offs.

What support have Square Enix given Wii U? DQ X doesn't count. It was a mess and never came here. Deus Ex: Human Revolution is all I can think of, which was a port handled by Tantalus.

Capcom? 2 games. Resident Evil: Revelations, a 3DS port, which itself is a spin-off and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, a reworked Wii game.

Konami? Nothing. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Metal Gears appearances on the GC and 3DS are both as valid as the various other iterations elsewhere.
    They were both enhanced editions of the original.
    Doesn't really matter if they did or didn't feature large on Nintendo formats anyway, or to be precise, the Wii.
    Each character is iconic enough for them to be known to games players everywhere, of a certain age and experience, and its this IP recognition that makes them worthy of further attention and inclusion in Nintendo games now

Adjusting facts to separate Nintendo's handheld console and home console support is a bit unfair.
    Capcom have sold lots of titles over the life time of both systems, from Ace Attorney to Street Fighter IV, doesn't matter that they might have been seen earlier elsewhere, there fact remains that Nintendo products have seen popular releases featuring characters from Capcom and Square rosters over the years.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Metal Gears appearances on the GC and 3DS are both as valid as the various other iterations elsewhere.
    They were both enhanced editions of the original.
    Doesn't really matter if they did or didn't feature large on Nintendo formats anyway, or to be precise, the Wii.
    Each character is iconic enough for them to be known to games players everywhere, of a certain age and experience, and its this IP recognition that makes them worthy of further attention and inclusion in Nintendo games now

Adjusting facts to separate Nintendo's handheld console and home console support is a bit unfair.
    Capcom have sold lots of titles over the life time of both systems, from Ace Attorney to Street Fighter IV, doesn't matter that they might have been seen earlier elsewhere, there fact remains that Nintendo products have seen popular releases featuring characters from Capcom and Square rosters over the years.

"Doesn't really matter if they did or didn't feature large on Nintendo formats anyway, or to be precise, the Wii.

Each character is iconic enough for them to be known to games players everywhere, of a certain age and experience, and its this IP recognition that makes them worthy of further attention and inclusion in Nintendo games now."

If you go by that then Master Chief would qualify.

Nintendo pushed for, paid for and developed Twin Snakes(a remake) on Gamecube, otherwise it would never have happened.

These companies have skipped 4 generations and 20 years of Nintendo consoles with major franchises. That's the N64, Gamecube, Wii and Wii U. Think about that. If someone said that would happen back in the SNES days, they'd have been called crazy.

I don't think separating handheld and console is unfair. They're both very different experiences. I don't own a 3DS, though I have owned all previous handhelds. Console, if given a choice, for me I'd choose every time. It trumps handheld in terms of graphics, resolution, capacity, big screen, etc. Final Fantasy pushes the envelope and can't be fully realised on a handheld. There are many people who are console gamers only. And Street Fighter Alpha 3, I remember playing on the GBA, but it was nerfed in terms of graphics and only 4 buttons. Console is the one constant in Nintendo's video game history and again these franchises have been absent for well over half of that time.

And it does "matter that they might have been seen earlier elsewhere." Take the more than likely impending Minecraft announcement for Wii U. That has been on every platform, PS3, XBOX360, PS4, XBOX1, Vita, PC, you name it and it's been out for years. It's great that we're finally getting it but it's going to have little impact on Wii U sales. As a Nintendo only gamer it'll be my first experience of it. And I doubt 3DS could handle it.

I'm rambling, so I'm going to stop. Point is, I'm predominantly a Nintendo console gamer and haven't experienced these franchises much, some not at all for the past 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Ryu amiibo, from Toys'R'Us in the US

CTwGyRhWEAAbGW0.jpg:large

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I had a big long multi quote reply but deleted it by accident!
    I'll go the short route instead.
    No one should be a single format games player.
    It results in far too narrow an experience of the scene and you miss out on so much good stuff, its frightening!
    Also, if you are a fan of Nintendo and only have a WiU and or Wii its hardly surprising that you might become somewhat despondent at the output for the last number of years.
    On the other hand the 3DS handheld console has offered a vibrant and essential gaming mix, with both physical releases and a great Eshop to be browsed through.

Minecraft on the 3DS, no reason why not, the game would work on it, with some minor changes, but seeing as its only now coming to the WiiU it is unlikely to hit this generation, perhaps the handheld release in 2016/17 will get it, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Why are people giving out about Cloud and Ryu featuring in Smash Bros? Maybe if you own a 3ds, you'd experience them featuring in games like theathrhythm, kingdom hearts and a little game called Street Fighter IV 3D, which is an awesome launch title too. And Snake has been in the brilliant Metal Gear Solid remake for GameCube and in Metal Gear Solid 3D on 3ds too. Can't understand why there's an argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I'm glad I've a 3ds. Fire Emblem!

• Advertisement

New amiibo reveals! Courtesy of @amiiboalerts on Twitter:
    All the amiibo display reveals: Ryu, Famicom ROB, Timmy and Tommy Nook, Rover, Kapp'n, Roy: amiiboalerts.com/news/nintendo-… pic.twitter.com/10iuy8lhTh

2qjyu81.png

NEW amiibo Revealed - Timmy & Tommy, Rover, Kapp'n, Roy, Ryu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhZNODgliL0

They just keep coming. Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival isn't even out yet and there's like what, nearly 20 AC amiibo on the way out. And you just know there'll be more. Disgusting!

If you don't like them, don't buy them.

Why are people giving out about Cloud and Ryu featuring in Smash Bros? Maybe if you own a 3ds, you'd experience them featuring in games like theathrhythm, kingdom hearts and a little game called Street Fighter IV 3D, which is an awesome launch title too. And Snake has been in the brilliant Metal Gear Solid remake for GameCube and in Metal Gear Solid 3D on 3ds too. Can't understand why there's an argument.

There is no argument, just opinion which is ok, even if it's contrary to yours and my opinion.
    A bit of debate is what keeps these forums lively, worse if we all agreed with each other and took a notion that Nintendo loved us and everything they did was golden.
    Needless to say, they are in this for the money and have made mistakes.
    But we differ on the nature of these mistakes, and successes for that matter.

Nintendo fecked up the WiiU, Sony goofed on the Vita, MS seemed to spend a lot of money and time trying to undo the clusterflub they made of the Xbox One, everyone is liable to screw up, no one is immune.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    There is no argument, just opinion which is ok, even if it's contrary to yours and my opinion.
    A bit of debate is what keeps these forums lively, worse if we all agreed with each other and took a notion that Nintendo loved us and everything they did was golden.
    Needless to say, they are in this for the money and have made mistakes.
    But we differ on the nature of these mistakes, and successes for that matter.

Nintendo fecked up the WiiU, Sony goofed on the Vita, MS seemed to spend a lot of money and time trying to undo the clusterflub they made of the Xbox One, everyone is liable to screw up, no one is immune.

Oh I agree with you that it's great to have differing opinions, we absolutely need them. I just think some of them seem strange and absurd and pointlessly complainy and whingey-whiney, in my own humble opinion anyway. :pac:

Yup so 3 more animal crossing amiibos revealed today along with the other 4 previously announced, plus the 8 coming this month. I say, bring em on! :) the more the merrier, I love the animal crossing characters and to have them as figurines (albeit expensive figurines) is a wonderful opportunity for those who love the franchise. And as they tie in with the Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival game, there ought to be lots of em, wouldn't be much of an amiibo festival if there were no amiibos to attend. :pac:

Don't need to tell me, I was on the Sega side of the Great War.... *sigh*

Right. So. Counting these new reveals plus Cloud, that's:

56 Smash
    15 Animal Crossing
    6 Mario
    4 Yarn Yoshi
    3 Inklings
    3 Gold/Silver variants
    2 8-Bit Marios
    Chibi Robo
    Shovel Knight
    Wolf Link
    2 Skylanders characters
    2 Skylanders vehicles
    And a Japanese R.O.B. variant.

That's 97.

And 201 cards. 202 if you count the Japanese promo Isabelle.

Edit: Throw in Mr. Game and Watch's 3 alternate forms and we've got an even 100.

Don't need to tell me, I was on the Sega side of the Great War.... *sigh*

Right. So. Counting these new reveals plus Cloud, that's:

56 Smash
    15 Animal Crossing
    6 Mario
    4 Yarn Yoshi
    3 Inklings
    3 Gold/Silver variants
    2 8-Bit Marios
    Chibi Robo
    Shovel Knight
    Wolf Link
    2 Skylanders characters
    2 Skylanders vehicles
    And a Japanese R.O.B. variant.

That's 97.

And 201 cards. 202 if you count the Japanese promo Isabelle.

Edit: Throw in Mr. Game and Watch's 3 alternate forms and we've got an even 100.

And don't forget the Dark Edition variants of Skylander Donkey Kong and Bowser. :pac: Do the vehicles work as actual amiibo too? Wasn't sure about that. I think the Japanese ROB variant is coming to US and perhaps here too, as the famicon version revealed today, did you count that in the Smash total? Ah it's crazy but can't help but love the little guys. :)

Arra feck yah! I forgot about those. Just when I had it neat and tidy...

I don't actually know a thing about the Skylanders functionality, since I don't intend to get them. But I know the vehicles and characters would need to be displayed separately so that was my broad definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Jesus Christ that's a lot of amiibo.

I only own one so far. 8bit Mario came with Mario Maker. I couldn't resist.

I'll buy a few more yet from my absolute favourite games.

Sonic even though it's not the classic one I'd like.

Fox as I'm a huge Starfox fan.

Wario as Ive played him in Mario Kart since N64 version.

Toon Link as Windwaker is my favourite zelda.

I'm buying toad treasure tracker soon and I'll probably go for the one with the amiibo as I'm a sucker for big boxes.

I would also love the splatoon girl in particular as I play as a girl in the game but I'm not paying stupid money for her.

I know people are giving out about them but Ryu and Cloud would be definite purchases for me too.

So that's 8 more amiibo in total.

8 x on average let's say €15 each

€120. It is easy to see how this could get out of hand fast!

If you own them all you've spent roughly €1500 !!!

• Advertisement

amiibo contribute nothing to gaming. Any functionality of amiibo can be done without them just by using the console, controller and if necessary a memory card. They're just a key to unlocking a door. It used to be that developers would have extra content or cheats as a reward for completing a game.

Now we've to pay for it and are told it wouldn't exist if it weren't for amiibo. I'm sure there are people out there, that just like gambling or any other addiction, that these amiibo are a problem. €1,500 is nuts for a bunch of keys. I've said it before, I've no problem with having merchandise but my problem is it unnecessarily imposing itself on gaming. It's the same with all the Collectors Editions and bundles. They're not doing them for our benefit. It's almost easier to name a game that doesn't have an amiibo bundle.

It's pure greed from developers. EA I seem to remember being one of the first to introduce DLC which didn't go down well. But then Activision found an acceptable way by giving a bit of cheap plastic in return and now Nintendo are sticking their hands in the pie. Sure llok at the Nintendo store or GAME, with preorders and the cheap tat they give away as an incentive to buy a game. Look at Mario Tennis, the game's so bad they're giving away a Mario plushie and a tennis ball to try and get buyers.

And I mentioned memory card earlier. They would be so much easier and functional. I bought a 32GB memory stick online last night, not for the Wii U mind. It cost €16 delivered. For €1,500 you get less <1MB of memory from all 97 amiibo altogether. 1MB! As a memory card, amiibo are awful. They've 8kb of memory, that can only record very basic things and can only store information for 1 game. So if you use it on another game, you've to wipe it clean. I think Nintendo copped onto that major downfall and have tried to avoid that. I think Smash Bros. is the only game so far that records data. But Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash will change that.

Bottom line, all companies are greedy and will push the limit of what customers find acceptable. And one last example of why I hate amiibo. Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival. For years fans have been asking for a proper AC game on Wii U. Instead we get that abominations that are AC: aF and that home designer game on 3DS. Those games only came about to sell amiibo. It's not out yet and it has 15 amiibo planned and countless cards and I wouldn't be surprised if they've double that yet to be announced. So that is a negative consequence of amiibo. Instead of making a quality game, they're more fixated on selling amiibo. And I bet this is probably just a trial run before a conveyor belt of Pokemon amiibo arrive on NX tethered to some fluff of a game.

Advertisement