Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiibos....collector urge growing...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

'Wolf' amiibo announced to launch alongside Smash Bros with Ridley and Inkling.

Many of the original Smash Bros. amiibo will also be re-released later this year.

https://twitter.com/NintendoVS/status/1017227109541076992?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E3

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭nemes1s

New smash amiibos are up for pre-order on Gamestop if anyone doesn’t know

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Smertrius

you have to buy or preorder them online at gamestop.ie , GameStop don't stack them in their shops in Ireland, only online GameStop.ie has them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

What are the point of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

SMC92Ian wrote: »

I often ask myself this same question... and I’ve got them all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Are you asking that because you're reading this thread?
    Or because you just got the Off The Hook set delivered to your house and you remember it seeming like a really good idea at the time you placed the order?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, you've been posting in the Nintendo forum for nearly a year now, have you not figured it out yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Fuko200

Does anyone know if its possible the octoling set will be available for preorder in either gamestop or amazon? Only place ive seen them for preorder is american amazon.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well, you've been posting in the Nintendo forum for nearly a year now, have you not figured it out yet?

To sit on a shelf and gather dust I'm guessing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well there are those who buy them and use them in games to unlock features and probably the bulk of purchasers who buy them as they are well crafted Nintendo figurines.

No one has to buy them, so it's not like they are being forced on anyone.

Don't fancy sacrificing your valuable shelf space and the extra bit of dusting? Then don't buy them.

Plenty of people on this thread appreciate them just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I often ask myself this same question... and I’ve got them all!

Do you mean all?!

Well there are those who buy them and use them in games to unlock features and probably the bulk of purchasers who buy them as they are well crafted Nintendo figurines.

No one has to buy them, so it's not like they are being forced on anyone.

Don't fancy sacrificing your valuable shelf space and the extra bit of dusting? Then don't buy them.

Plenty of people on this thread appreciate them just fine.

I used to have a few but they done nothing in the games I had so I just sold them all off, only one I have left is a Browser still in his box.

I have them as they are quite nice models of the characters, despite them having no real use to me aside from that.
    And I buy them relatively infrequently too, though they have built into a bit of a collection now.

One can see the trend though, with Sony releasing their own set of models from their IP, and a select few others, including two ships from the early Wipeout games, which do nothing except look extremely cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,576 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Yep. :)
    DoqsI-eX4AAeDzV.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I've more than I should. Just want Ridley now

I have them as they are quite nice models of the characters, despite them having no real use to me aside from that.
    And I buy them relatively infrequently too, though they have built into a bit of a collection now.

One can see the trend though, with Sony releasing their own set of models from their IP, and a select few others, including two ships from the early Wipeout games, which do nothing except look extremely cool.

Actually I see your point, I've no love for Nintendo characters but when Sony showed theirs I was saying I NEED THEM, still haven't bought any, waiting for that inevitable sale haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Do you mean all?!

Yeah, just about! :) I’m wondering about the Shovel Knight 3-pack that was announced ages ago, after being reminded of it by that dust-covered shovel knight pic - is it ever going to be released does anyone know?

Yeah, just about! :) I’m wondering about the Shovel Knight 3-pack that was announced ages ago, after being reminded of it by that dust-covered shovel knight pic - is it ever going to be released does anyone know?

Wow, you need to throw up a pic or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

They'll be released on the same day as the King of Cards expansion next year, April 9th.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭souleater3000

Yeah I've got them all too. No card amiibo tho because who cares. Just enjoy having Nintendo figures

• Advertisement

Roughly how many is there are stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭souleater3000

I have 164 including the 4 versions of Game and Watch and the Skylanders/amiibo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

Hey, looking for some advice lads and lasses!

I have twin boys who are 7 and Mario and Nintendo in general mad. They have 3ds's, Wii and Wii U. The Switch is next year for their Communion.

So recently they have dropped a bombshell that they want Amiibo's off Santy! So that is why I am here, I need advice.

What Amiibo should I be looking for? As I say they are Mario mad, so Bowser, Yoshi and Luigi will be a must. Game wise they play all the Marios and recently have gotten into Kirby games. So Zelda etc is not required at the moment.

So where can I buy them, can you use 2nd hand ones? So would Adverts/CEX be options. For new ones is Argos, Amazon better than Gamestop?

I know the Wii U has nfc built in but their 3ds's dont, would I need 2 nfc readers or can they share the one? Also do I need to be looking at Amiibo cards?

Apologies for all the questions!

Finally anyone thinking about off loading part of their collection and want them to go to a good home and make my life easier please let me know!!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,576 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Yes you can use secondhand amiibo. The only retailer left selling them in Ireland is Gamestop and they only let people pre-order some of the newer amiibo. Looking at the prices on CEX, they're a rip-off and most of the people on Adverts are trying to sell for a profit. The twins could probably share an NFC reader. What model of 3DS do they have, as the newer ones have an amiibo scanner built-in?

Maybe try buying on Ebay, look around at different online retailers, don't get ripped off though.

Here's a Blue Yarn Yoshi for a reasonable price.

https://www.coolshop.co.uk/product/nintendo-amiibo-figurine-yarn-yoshi-light-blue/AB8H7F/

Gamestop sell Mario Sports Superstars Amiibo Cards for €8, you get 5 random cards. I presume a Mario card would act like any other regular Mario amiibo.

https://www.gamestop.ie/Nintendo%203DS/Games/62592/mario-sports-superstars-amiibo-cards

I think all the other amiibo cards are based on Animal Crossing. There's a new Bowser amiibo on Adverts for €14, which is fair enough.

https://www.adverts.ie/nintendo/amiibo-bowser/15245173

As I say, look around, don't get scalped. No harm at all if they're secondhand as they're going to get used as opposed to a lot of people buying them and keeping them pristine in their boxes.

Edit: Actually, you might be best to buy them directly from Nintendo themselves.

https://store.nintendo.co.uk/amiibo/view-all.list

And give Amazon a look. Having looked on Ebay, I'd stay away due to the prices. There's a 3DS NFC Reader on Adverts for €25, you could probably offer a bit less.

https://www.adverts.ie/accessories/3ds-nfc-reader-writer/14585946

Ya, so keep an eye on Adverts or buy new from Nintendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

@Sligeach

Many thanks, I will take all of that on board. Much appreciated.

They have the older 3ds's so definitely no nfc.

I take it they can share the Amiibo so there is no reason to double up on certain characters?

Has the Nintendo Store ever been known to have reductions on such items or buy two for three etc?

They will definitely get good use as the lads, if they arent wanting to play their consoles they will be asking to watch videos of other people playing the same games on You Tube! Obviously as part of a balanced diet of reading, playing outside etc.

Thanks again for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭medic112

@branners69

I got amiibo from the geek app for my lads switch, mainly Zelda, but were cheap,worked & came in a wallet . He was more than pleased. Might be of benefit to check out there.

So, Solaire arrived this morning from Gamestop!
    €19.99 and looking great.
    I don't know if I should give to Cidonalad for Christmas, by which time he'll have finished Dark Souls again, or let him have Solaire now, and use it in play...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,115 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

So, Solaire arrived this morning from Gamestop!
    €19.99 and looking great.
    I don't know if I should give to Cidonalad for Christmas, by which time he'll have finished Dark Souls again, or let him have Solaire now, and use it in play...

Amazon tried to take money from Revolut for mine. Can't top up Revolut because I got a new bank card and can't find the fecking thing :pac:

Edit: do you remember if GameStop took money when you ordered or when they shipped? I ordered one with them for someone else but I checked out as a guest and I must have deleted the email so can't find the details.

To be honest I've no idea what they do with pre-orders and, when it comes to GS, nothing would surprise me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Amazon tried to take money from Revolut for mine. Can't top up Revolut because I got a new bank card and can't find the fecking thing :pac:

Edit: do you remember if GameStop took money when you ordered or when they shipped? I ordered one with them for someone else but I checked out as a guest and I must have deleted the email so can't find the details.

Mine is in transit from Gamestop and they only took the money on Monday.

Advertisement