Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenstar charging to move bins to new home.

Options
  • 12-11-2014 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭

This is a separate issue from the OP but I contacted Greenstar this morning saying that we would be moving house in the new year and that we would like to retain their services. We have paid for bin collection upfront until next August. As we will be moving to the other side of Cork city and have no means of moving the bins I asked could they move the 4 bins for us. They said they would but it would cost €30, thats a bit excessive isn't it? Surely they would want to retain our business. Maybe I'm wrong but has this happened to anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Post split out from old thread

• Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭whippet

Boots234 wrote: »
    This is a separate issue from the OP but I contacted Greenstar this morning saying that we would be moving house in the new year and that we would like to retain their services. We have paid for bin collection upfront until next August. As we will be moving to the other side of Cork city and have no means of moving the bins I asked could they move the 4 bins for us. They said they would but it would cost €30, thats a bit excessive isn't it? Surely they would want to retain our business. Maybe I'm wrong but has this happened to anyone else?

How much would it cost you to call out a man with a van to move them for you?

i'd guess a lot cheaper than what Grecnstar are offering.

So .. as you suggest, should you not wish to pay use another provider, or if you wish to keep their service and bins either pay them or someone else to move them for you.

Would you expect UPC / Sky to move your satelitte box for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

whippet wrote: »
    How much would it cost you to call out a man with a van to move them for you?

i'd guess a lot cheaper than what Grecnstar are offering.

So .. as you suggest, should you not wish to pay use another provider, or if you wish to keep their service and bins either pay them or someone else to move them for you.

Would you expect UPC / Sky to move your satelitte box for you?

I'd just cancel and sign up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Boots234

I'd just cancel and sign up again.

Ya I was thinking of doing that. Just a bit of hassle with getting refunded as we have paid up until next August and they need 30 days notice for closing the account

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

How are you moving everything else :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Boots234

emeldc wrote: »
    How are you moving everything else :confused:

In a car as we are only renting at the moment and don't have that much stuff to bring

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

In a car as we are only renting at the moment and don't have that much stuff to bring

If you have a car and you really don't want to pay the €30, all I can say is 'where there's a will there's a way' ;)

If it's at all possible to fit one bin into the car then make 4 trips. If you can't fit a bin into the car try to borrow a roof rack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Fill the bins with your stuff!
    Tow the bins?

30 prob aint that bad.. but pointing out the cancel/rejoin option may get them to be a little more easy going on the fees?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I think €30 is pretty cheap. Getting a random bloke with a white van to move it for cash would probably cost close to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Not saying it will work or anything but they were looking for the same when I moved places last time, I just asked for a manager and explained that if I canceled and signed up with someone else then I pay no charges to have my bins moved, didn't take long before they had them moved to my new place, the charges are discretionary and if you kick up a little bit of fuss they'll move them to keep your business. Of course this might not work depending on who you get talking to you at the end of the line, just be calm and assertive.

The problem with cancelling is the OP needs to give 30 days notice before closing the contract which is likely to cost him/her roughly €30 anyway. Plus there may be additional bin recovery charges depending on how long he/she has been a customer.
    Certainly ask for a waiver, at worst they can say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

slimjimmc wrote: »
    The problem with cancelling is the OP needs to give 30 days notice before closing the contract which is likely to cost him/her roughly €30 anyway. Plus there may be additional bin recovery charges depending on how long he/she has been a customer.
    Certainly ask for a waiver, at worst they can say no.

Ah ya I'm not saying to actually cancel or anything, but like for the sake of a 10 minutes phone call you might be able to save yourself 30 euro in this case, definitely worth a try....it's doable depending on who you get on the phone really.

Advertisement