Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network Information Script

Options
  • 12-11-2014 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I work with users on remote sites who will often ring me with network issues.

Cue not being able to RDP to their machine & requesting the user to run commands which I have to spell out to them - loads of time wasted on this over the past two years.

I've noticed with NetCat you can backdoor onto somebodys machine and run commands that are piped back to your console. To that end I'm wondering if netcat is worth having on user machines with a script to setup a console session to a static ip i.e. my IP or a server IP to allow me to run some commands to see where the issues might arise.

Alternatively - I can setup a script to output certain commands and have the user call out the results to me.

Finally - BGInfo pushed out to PCs

Basically I'm curious to see if anybody else here uses scripting/software/backdooring to help them resolve user issues - namely network related where information is key.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭MichealKenny

I think the first step is to have SNMP setup on your routers and switches and have something like Cacti or the Solarwinds network management suite, and then use scripting to interact with their APIs.

If I want to hack up something really quick i'll use python and an ssh module to interact with the router, but it's not a permanent solution or even good practice I don't think.

I personally think it's a bad idea to have anything running on the users end, if it's your network, you should have enough control on your end plus it would be a lot easier to manage.

Advertisement