Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy rain,Strong Winds In East & Flooding Overnight Thurs 13th /Friday 14th November

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

handbagmad wrote: »
    Gone quiet, is that the worst of it over?

I've had to give the dog rescue remedy.

Co. Waterford

I use a thundershirt or as a substitute a motorcyclists kidneybelt. Wrap it up round the dogs middle and they calm down and become very sleepy. Check videos out on youtube.
    it's really distressing when my dog is scared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Wind picking up in Swords Co. Dublin now, the rain is light at the moment with the odd burst of a heavy shower.

My ceiling looks worse though :D

NotANiceLeakIndeed_zps39c926e9.jpg~original

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

I use a thundershirt or as a substitute a motorcyclists kidneybelt. Wrap it up round the dogs middle and they calm down and become very sleepy. Check videos out on youtube.
    it's really distressing when my dog is scared.

thanks I've made my own thundershirt for him but he's afraid of his own shadow poor sod.
    He's calmed down a bit. He's just on edge.
    The doggy rescue remedy is kicking in I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

The wind has just gotten very violent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

I think todays was worse than tonight, in terms of rain fall.
    Wind is gusting strong enough in Dublin4, but nothing too serious. A horrible night, I don't suspect I'll see much wind damage in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

According to Raintoday.co.uk, we're not done yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Xenji wrote: »
    Not a drop of rain in Castlebar in the last 12 hours or so and barely a breeze, so jealous looking through these posts!

Well, its pissin' now:(.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Rain still ongoing in South Dublin with very gusty winds over past hour or so.

Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Well, its pissin' now:(.

I spoke to soon, glad I got back in from town before it started!

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

Wind has begun in D9.... at first I thought it was thunder from the noise of it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

Bad flooding up North. Can anyone explain why the rain is always heaviest when the rain band ready to move through? Notice this in heavy showers as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

49.9mm of rain and top gust of 85.4 km/h 1:35am

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Wind picking up in Swords Co. Dublin now, the rain is light at the moment with the odd burst of a heavy shower.

My ceiling looks worse though :D

NotANiceLeakIndeed_zps39c926e9.jpg~original

Had to stick a bucket in the attic to catch the drips, I could hear the drips landing on the ceiling and just caught it time before much damage was done. I think a few licks of paint will sort it.

Yours looks a bit worse:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Xenji wrote: »
    Not a drop of rain in Castlebar in the last 12 hours or so and barely a breeze, so jealous looking through these posts!

Jealous of people getting lashed on and their community being flooded !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I just remembered in 2010(I think), in the November we had a lot of rain and the whole country got flooded and then we had that snowy Christmas, could that happen again this year?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Dry here (in south Dublin) this morning! :) But...very wet overnight. 17.0mm since midnight...plus...35.0mm yesterday, giving a total of 52.0mm from both rain bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Coles

Total since 10pm last night of 68.9mm, bringing the total for the last 21 hours to 136.6mm near Ballyknockan, Co. Wicklow.

No idea what the flooding is like yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Is that a Davis Station or just a Rain Gauge Coles?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Coles

It's a tipping bucket rain gauge in a good open location. I'll confirm the calibration of it later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

40.8mm in the last 24 hours. A lot of rain considering the amount we already had in the last few days but thankfully no signs of any flooding nearby.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

So how did it pan out in the end? Which model was closest to reality.
    Going by the met eireann website I think didn't affect as far west into Sligo as they expected, but did skirt into East Galway and Leitrim?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Call me Al wrote: »
    Going by the met eireann website I think didn't affect as far west into Sligo as they expected, but did skirt into East Galway and Leitrim?
    Started raining in east Galway around 11pm was light to moderate rain until about 6am I reckon
    If it was any heavier I would have woken up fully !
    So just caught the outskirts of it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

heavy shower here in cork with hailstones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Call me Al wrote: »
    Going by the met eireann website I think didn't affect as far west into Sligo as they expected, but did skirt into East Galway and Leitrim?[/quote

It was torrential in Galway City from 1am until around 6 am, I was out and there was a lot of surface flooding,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Gerry Murphy said on the 7.55 forecast this morning that the met station in Gurteen (Limerick) recorded the highest rainfall rate of I think 56mm in the past 36 hours followed by 45mm in Oak Park Carlow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Fingers crossed for the thunderstorms MT has said are possible :)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

21mm from 10pm last night here in north meath, so didnt get what i was expecting, it was alot heavier at the home place (about 10 mile away) then it was here, River Boyne has overflowed into the fields there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Coles, your rainfall totals are certainly plausible, as your location is closer to the highest terrain than Casement or Oak Park. A ratio of 2 or 3 times the regional averages is common for such locations in general. Just for reference, can you give a monthly total that you recorded in October, and to date in November (either before or after this large amount) as that might shed more light on the readings.

Wondering also if Rock Lesnar has a storm total to report from Meath.

From what I saw on the radar last night, the heaviest falls were probably located around north Laois, east Offaly and scattered higher portions of Wicklow and Carlow.

As to what guidance proved best, can say that the GFS tended to throw the rainfall more to the east of the low and then had the low itself too far east, so combined that error reduced depicted amounts in central regions by about 75%. Some other guidance was better on track but tended to throw more of the rainfall to the west of the track which meso-scale considerations suggested might not verify. The process in those model depictions was fairly reliable but in reality heavier rain fell ahead of the warm front than to the west of the wave crest. Except for the usual problem of being too coarse, the GGEM guidance was sound too.

I think we had some reasonably good forecasts available here based on a blended forecast of these different sources. The actual rainfall if mapped to a fine grid would probably be quite complex as the precip shield contained a lot of short-duration pulses. Sometimes you get a much more regular looking outcome than this one but would say that in general terms the heaviest rain was in east-central counties.

The event was about as strong as expected, impacts from flooding yet to be fully reported or assessed at this stage, will be interesting to see what comes into the thread next few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Too true MT, N11 at Enniscorthy shut down again @ 6.30 this morning apparentely. Rivers are very swollen, these floods haven't finished unfortunately.

Schools advised to remain closed due to flooding. Haven't heard that one in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

New warning.
    STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Dublin, Wicklow, Wexford and Waterford

Thundery downpours later today and for a time tonight with the ongoing risk of flooding.
    Rainfall amounts are likely to be between 20 to 30 mm.
    Issued:
    Friday 14 November 2014 09:00
    Valid:
    Friday 14 November 2014 16:00 to Saturday 15 November 2014 04:00

nmm_uk1-28-15-0.png?14-11

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement