Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy rain,Strong Winds In East & Flooding Overnight Thurs 13th /Friday 14th November

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I was driving over the Wicklow gap at 12:30 yesterday. Jeeze, I’ve never seen the like! A huge cascade of brown and white water pouring over the rocks down into the valley below. And it got worse the higher I went as every culvert, stream, ditch etc was full to overflowing so much so that the road was a river in places and debris and vegetation all over the place. Once over the gap and heading for Hollywood the surface water lessened but then the rain started to hammer down – it must have been raining a lot more on the west side of the mountains.

And then an hour later in Donard the rain stopped, the sun came out and it even felt warm. Talk about ‘four seasons in one day’! Well two seasons I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Where is this weather coming from? What is causing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Call me Al wrote: »
    Where is this weather coming from? What is causing it?

Just autumnal weather. Atlantic lows. Sometimes you just get unlucky and get hit with two depressions back to back with tracks than end up giving us quite a bit of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Must check my station - a few issues and things happening, computer moving etc issues have meant that I haven't been regularly checking recently.

However, my anecdotal evidence judging by the roads this morning that it was pretty bad. The usual spots were very flooded, with a few additional ones that wouldn't have cropped up before. Stream at the front broke it's bank earlier yesterday, but this morning it wasn't overflowing by the time I left.

dogmatrix, you were lucky to get over the gap, as I believe there was a fair amount of flooding around Laragh, including between Laragh and Glendalough. The Laragh to Sally Gap road was reported as impassable, and the Laragh to Rathdrum road before the Greenan turn as well. There was photo's of the river right up to Clara Vale Church on facebook as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

vicwatson wrote: »
    Too true MT, N11 at Enniscorthy shut down again @ 6.30 this morning apparentely. Rivers are very swollen, these floods haven't finished unfortunately.

Schools advised to remain closed due to flooding. Haven't heard that one in a long time.

One bridge open as of 11am but water still rising so that looks like being shut too.

I'll post pics later but loads on facebook.

Just heard a horse drowned - the same bollix of a traveller who left his horses on an island did it again,it's under water now with 17 horses standing in the rising water.

Thanks to Judgement Day.This was at low tide.

New%2BBridge.JPG

BUS%2BSTOP%2BSHOP.JPG

My car was parked here the other day:

4ij7zo.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just heard that the 2nd bridge is to be closed soon in Enniscorthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

An anecdotal report that part of the Nenagh-Thurles road after Borrisoleigh (R498). Friend had to go back to Borrisoleigh and go via Templemore. Don't have any more details other than that.

Nenagh River burst its banks this morning down by the swimming pool (only newly reopened 4 weeks)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

zerks wrote: »
    Just heard that the 2nd bridge is to be closed soon in Enniscorthy.

Drove over it 20min ago but the water was up on it at that time alot of head scratching co co workers say if not closed yet it will be soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Why is the east/south getting it in the neck like this? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Would it be worth travelling across the M50 this evening???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Macy0161 wrote: »
    dogmatrix, you were lucky to get over the gap, as I believe there was a fair amount of flooding around Laragh, including between Laragh and Glendalough. The Laragh to Sally Gap road was reported as impassable, and the Laragh to Rathdrum road before the Greenan turn as well. There was photo's of the river right up to Clara Vale Church on facebook as well.

Actually the worst of it was up near where the road passes the ESB station at Turlough Hill - it was like something out of a movie. But I suppose all that water hit laragh later on causing the flooding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 fayvirtue

My friend is heading back to Dublin today I think he'll need a boat !

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Very glad to be sitting high on a Kerry mountain with no need to go out until at least Monday.. heavy deluges etc.. stay safe everyone...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

A few rumbles here. Heavy shower too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Would it be worth travelling across the M50 this evening???

Not sure if you gambled or not, but the M50 from Clarehall to blanch was grand at 6 this morning, and subsequently at 1pm. Not sure about further south, but I wouldn't be too worried.

Anyone got an idea of what to expect this evening? More of the same or a bit less? Think I'll be putting the pots and pans under the kitchen ceiling either way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I am Pretty sure I just saw 2 flashes above Dublin city coming in the N3?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

Walk to work this morning was.. interesting. Clonskeagh area of a bursted-bank Dodder.

xl9ms7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

HungryJoey wrote: »
    I am Pretty sure I just saw 2 flashes above Dublin city coming in the N3?

Its possible, judging by the radar there is some very active stuff between 10 and 40kms offshore of Dublin and Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Coles

Coles, your rainfall totals are certainly plausible, as your location is closer to the highest terrain than Casement or Oak Park. A ratio of 2 or 3 times the regional averages is common for such locations in general. Just for reference, can you give a monthly total that you recorded in October, and to date in November (either before or after this large amount) as that might shed more light on the readings.
    PM sent.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Its possible, judging by the radar there is some very active stuff between 10 and 40kms offshore of Dublin and Wicklow

Some of that stuff has arrived here now (in Dublin 16). 0.6mm so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Slaney in Tullow got pretty high in last hour but not as high as this morning. They did a nice job building that bridge many many years ago :D

15603691698_46c5e544ae_b.jpgslaney copy

15603934957_d516fa44e4_o.jpgslaney2 copy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Some very heavy showers pushing onto the east coast now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Some very heavy showers pushing onto the east coast now.

Yup, it's here alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I can finally enjoy it since I am not commuting through it. The rain sounds lovely...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Calm and dry in Limerick city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Anyone know where this is? :D

14019_10152417573016332_5777682713184017170_n.jpg?oh=620d77f029e56eae59cee5990e526fa5&oe=54D4FCA2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

kleefarr wrote: »
    Anyone know where this is? :D

Which.. the bridge or the photoshopped van? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

HighLine wrote: »
    Which.. the bridge or the photoshopped van? :D

Is the van photoshopped or just the sign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

kleefarr wrote: »
    Is the van photoshopped or just the sign?

The van. Funny all the same! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

No rain where I am in Dublin West. Unless it's not loud lol!?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement