Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock/Metal Gig of the Year 2014 NOMINATIONS

Options
  • 12-11-2014 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭

It's that time of the year again for us to vote on the Rock/Metal Gig of the Year for 2014.

Previous winners were :-

2010 Kiss @ The O2 (Runner up was Porcupine Tree @ Tripod)

2011 Rush @ The O2 (Runner up was QOTSA @ The Olympia)

2012 Rammstein @ The O2 (Runner up was Anthrax @ The Academy)

2013 QoTSA @ The O2 (Runner up was Slayer @ The Academy)

If you've been to a totally awesome gig put it in here, all i need is band and venue.

On or around December 20th, The Top 10 nominations will be put into a poll and we'll vote on Best Rock/Metal gig of 2014 (Only 1 vote per person)

Rules

Gig MUST be on Irish Soil in 2014
    You can nominate as many gigs as you want

PLEASE TRY AND LIMIT YOUR CHOICES TO TRULY MEMORABLE GIGS, NOT JUST ANY OLD GIGS YOU HAVE BEEN TOO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'll start off, been a good year for gigs, been to some great one's but i'm only nominating 2 that IMO are worthy of Gig of the Year, they are

Black Stone Cherry @The Academy

Carcass @ The Academy

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Clutch - Academy

Only other ones I remember seeing in Ireland were Biffy, Pixies, the National, all in Cork. Only the Biffy one would be truly memorabe, and even then, that was for the old songs they played that night.

Clutch easily gets the nod, everyone enjoyed it, place packed out, great tunes and Neil Fallon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Still a bit early to call it tbh, there's a good few gigs on the horizon yet, and I don't know, but that Behemoth show is looking like it'll be something else alright

Links234 wrote: »
    Still a bit early to call it tbh, there's a good few gigs on the horizon yet, and I don't know, but that Behemoth show is looking like it'll be something else alright

I know there's plenty of gigs to come but it's always good to get it up and running, ya gots until Dec 20th to vote.

I think there's a great chance we'll get a winner this year that didn't take place at The Point

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭rock whore

Like an echo of last year, I nominate

Slayer @ the Academy &

QOTSA @ Belsonic. Fantastic venue in Custom House Square, would love to have an outdoor venue like that in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Anthrax @ the Academy

Slayer @ the Academy

/thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

2104!!!!? :pac:

Year isn't over yet. Still have Dying Fetus and Morbid Angel to go! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Slayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

lord lucan wrote: »
    Anthrax @ the Academy

That's my vote .....

unless Mastodon play an absolute stormer next week.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Still have Mastodon and Sabaton coming up so will wait until after then to vote.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

RayCon wrote: »
    That's my vote .....

unless Mastodon play an absolute stormer next week.

you can vote for as many as you like, so long as they're real stand out gigs, it's when the vote happens that you're only allowed to vote for 1

scudzilla wrote: »
    you can vote for as many as you like, so long as they're real stand out gigs, it's when the vote happens that you're only allowed to vote for 1

...... ah ... well then I suppose I should include Saxon in the possibility of being gig of the year*

*but unlikely. Still looking forward to it though :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Alestorm @Cyprus Avenue, Cork. Been a while since I've had such fun at a gig.

Still have Mastodon yet to come though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Thought Slayer this year wasnt as good as last year, though the dodgy sound for the first couple of tracks prolly had summit to do with that.

I have Dying Fetus/Goatwhore, Behemoth/Decapitated and Machine Head to go this year so Im going to go out on a limb and say that its going to be a toss up between the latter 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

*opens can of worms*

Aren't you pretty much watching a Slayer cover band nowadays? Seeing the sh*t they gave Lombardo. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Easy.

Carcass.

End this thread.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

rock whore wrote: »

QOTSA @ Belsonic. Fantastic venue in Custom House Square, would love to have an outdoor venue like that in Dublin.

Dublin Castle used to do similar gigs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Carcass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Billy Idol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Anathema at The Button Factory, stunning gig

Tribulation at The Pint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I'm gonna throw in a vote for Y&T at the Opium Rooms (formerly The Village), although I know they've no chance of winning. 40 years into his career, Dave still plays like his life depends on it. I know the rest of the band are long gone, but the current members are all great musicians. Decent ticket price for a 2.5 hour set with all the classics, reasonable price for the t-shirt by today's standards and even the venue wasn't as cr@p as I remember it. Oh, and a good support act in Crash.

I'll also nominate Anthrax and Black Stone Cherry, both at the Academy

Nea wrote: »
    Anathema at The Academy, stunning gig

So stunning in fact that you forgot it was in The Button Factory and I forgot completely to nominate it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

RayCon wrote: »
    So stunning in fact that you forgot it was in The Button Factory and I forgot completely to nominate it :pac:

Haha. Yes it was that stunning,goosepimples most of the performance.
    Now amended:)

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Carcass @ The Academy

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Niall06

Another vote for Y&T at the Opium Rooms.
    Another stunning performance and lasting 2.5 hours.
    Overall a great night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

Morbid Angel

Oh wait thats not for another 3 weeks so ill go with Carcass for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dargull

Black Stone Cherry

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Throwing in the 3 gigs i went to this year

Monster Truck/Slash ft. Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators @ The O2

Slayer @ The Academy

Trivium @ The Academy

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Harrocks

CLUTCH the Academy
    PRONG voodoo lounge get my votes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Anthrax @ The Academy - Best I've seen them actually put the Slayer gig who I watched the night before in the shadows, Among the Living in full and more did a 4 song encore too, great night

Black Stone Cherry @ The Academy - These lads continue to grow new album material went down a storm

Honorable mentions; Sepultura@The Academy,Trivium@The Academy,QOTSA@Belsonic - All crackin gigs

Still have some to coming up though :)

Advertisement