Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elctricity in Dublin 1915

Options
  • 12-11-2014 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭

I am reading a book and the author mentioned a person flicked on a light switch. Why it so interests me is I am writing on this period,I know there were only a few public lights on Merrion row, O Connell bridge and Haroucrt st.

I know there was a power station in Fleet st. does anyone know if many house holds households had a supply then?

I have searched the internet but can't find an exact number or what parts of Dublin had some.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

femur61 wrote: »
    I am reading a book and the author mentioned a person flicked on a light switch. Why it so interests me is I am writing on this period,I know there were only a few public lights on Merrion row, O Connell bridge and Haroucrt st.

I know there was a power station in Fleet st. does anyone know if many house holds households had a supply then?

I have searched the internet but can't find an exact number or what parts of Dublin had some.

Thanks

From History Ireland
    As early as December 1877 arc lamps were used to light a construction site in Dublin. The Guinness brewery was building an extension and the provision of lighting allowed work to proceed on a continuous basis. The first public electric light in Ireland was at Princes Street outside the offices of the Freeman’s Journal in 1880.

The article gives a decent history of the pre-Shannon (Ardnacrusha) period see here http://www.historyireland.com/20th-century-contemporary-history/the-pre-history-of-the-shannon-scheme/

Its an interesting topic. The introduction of Electric power in the 1930- 50 period eventually allowed for massive cultural changes with reliant influences including radio, light, cinema & TV changing how people had lived for generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

From History Ireland

The article gives a decent history of the pre-Shannon (Ardnacrusha) period see here http://www.historyireland.com/20th-century-contemporary-history/the-pre-history-of-the-shannon-scheme/

Its an interesting topic. The introduction of Electric power in the 1930- 50 period eventually allowed for massive cultural changes with reliant influences including radio, light, cinema & TV changing how people had lived for generations.

Thanks it is a very good site. I agree the electrification of Ireland brought about huge social changes.

I was wondering how many houses were electrified in Dublin in 1915. It says by in 1881 some private customers had electricity but it was mostly companies. The trams were all electrified by 1901.

Good site.

Advertisement