Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra Bedroom

Options
  • 12-11-2014 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just a quick question, to see what the consensus is about the following.

So, I have a three bedroom house, which is also a three story. Down stairs is the kitchen, dinning area and toilet (no shower/bath, but there is sink).

Upstairs, there is three bedrooms and bathroom (on two floors). The sitting room is on the first floor. I have turned the sitting room into a bedrooom, so it is now a four bed house, two bedrooms on each floor.

I am now using the dinning room as the sitting room, but there is space for a kitchen table between kitchen/sitting room (it's open space).

Although the sitting room is not big, I do feel it's adequate roughly 9x9 (not including the area where kitchen table is).

So do people think this would increase the property value, or is it a case of I didn't actually add on to the property, so it just means I've an extra bedroom?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭wench

I think it would have the opposite effect, and reduce the value.

A four bed comes with an expectation of a reasonable amount of living space, which you don't have.
    You have increased the occupancy while halving the living space.

Would your one small room be enough space for four adults, or a family with 3 or 4 kids to be comfortable in?
    The fact that it is all one space with the kitchen makes it worse, no quiet space to watch tv while someone is cooking, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

it could depend on the family dynamic.
    families with teens or older would love couple of sitting/living rooms for doing different stuff.
    younger families might love the 4 bedrooms as young kids don't tend to wander too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

It would/could increase the amount one might be able to charge when it is rented out, so might be more interesting to someone renting.

But unless you are selling with Furniture, once you move out, it's just a room again, unless you made a structural change to convert it to a bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What did the planning permission say?

What was the required minimum size of a bedroom when planning permission was given?

Could it be advertised as a 3/4 bedroom house?

Advertisement