Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire proof fuse box

Options
  • 12-11-2014 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Had a new fuse box installed about 5 years ago , now told it must be fireproofed. How do I go about that?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

seanoge wrote: »
    Had a new fuse box installed about 5 years ago , now told it must be fireproofed. How do I go about that?

Who told you this?
    Distribution boards / fuse boards in a domestic installation do not have to be "fireproof".

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭seanoge

Not fully domestic, part B&B. From fire officer. I see in England from January All fuse boxes must be fire protected: New regulations, which come into effect on January 2015, will mean that all fuse boards fitted in residential properties will have to be made of fireproof material or be in a special fireproof box.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

New regulations, which come into effect on January 2015, will mean that all fuse boards fitted in residential properties will have to be made of fireproof material or be in a special fireproof box.

I have never seen a fuse board installed in "fire proof" box or a fuse board that is designed to be fireproof.

There are a number of regulations (ET101:2008) relating to distribution boards and fire risk in existence already, perhaps this is what you are thinking of. Here are a few examples of this:
    515.1.2 Equipment not provided with a back-plate shall not be mounted on a building surface unless the following requirements are satisfied:

-a voltage transfer to the building surface is prevented, and
    - fire segregation is provided between the equipment and a combustible building surface.

515.1.2 continues:
    If the building surface is combustable, the equipment shall be separated from it by a suitable intermediate layer of insulating material having a flammability rating of FH1 according to I.S. EN 60707
    530.5.1 A distribution board shall be adequately protected against adverse environmental conditions such as dust, moisture, corrosive or polluting substances, excessive temperatures, impact vibration and other mechanical stresses.
    530.5.3 ..........
    A distribution board installed in areas of increased fire hazard shall comply with 422.2.1

422.2.1 pretty much states that appropriate equipment must be selected with due consideration given for the ambient conditions.

Perhaps you can provide a some specifics or a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Par1

2011 wrote: »
    Who told you this?
    Distribution boards / fuse boards in a domestic installation do not have to be "fireproof".

Totally agree....no need for fireproofing as of yet. Most contractors locate the downstairs hall smoke alarm close to the distribution board anyways as good practice which is sufficient enough in my opinion.

Also if the distribution board does get to the stage of fire then the enclosure melting is going to be the least of your worries.

Id imagine it would be rather hard to fireproof a distribution board because everything would require glands, space would be an issue for a large house with a large volume of circuits.

Good idea in theory but not very practical, mount a smoke alarm close by is the most cost effective option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

BS 7671 Amendment 3 is due in 2015.
    Among the changes is the following:

Regulation 421.1.200 has been introduced and will require switchgear assemblies, including consumer units, to have their enclosure manufactured from non-combustible, or not readily combustible, material, or to be enclosed in a cabinet or enclosure that is constructed of non-combustible, or not readily combustible, material.

This new Regulation is being introduced to help to protect against fire that can result from the overheating of connections within consumer units. Overheating can arise from loose connections and connections that have not been made correctly, for example, the connection of a cable over the insulation.

Source

In the OP's case (a B&B) it has been a requirement since the 1980's that distribution boards in an escape route must be enclosed in a fire resistant enclosure, which is a job for a builder because the fire resistance should be certified.

House is not very big just a lot of stairs. I opened 18 years ago and saw no one in that time. I am selling up and the prospective owner was worried about the Fire Cert. My architect said all was in order and the new owner hired an engineer who spent 3 hours at the place and didn't find any problems.
    Applied to have the Fire cert. certified and the Fire officer arrived.
    2 exits: 1st: Front door, new fuse board 4 years ago with smoke detector 50cm away.
    2nd. 5 years old is in a corridor, 1 side stone, other side where fuse board is mounted is standard block work. Board is 1 meter from exit and between both is a smoke detector. The Officer wants a 60 minute cabinet on both boards.
    Is he getting ahead of the Regs?

I wouldn't worry about it until the regulation gets approved by ETCI. I appreciate its a BS amendment and chances are we will follow suit within the next few years. First though we need to be provided with consumer units fit for the purpose which i have not seen as of yet. I heard of the GE Redspot units and various fire retardant surrounds but not sure either would be favoured here under current regulations.

Maybe a metal enclosure would suffice?

Just seen Hoagy's post. My fire cert was issued circa. 2004 but no mention of that as I remember.
    Where would you get these enclosures?

Hoagy wrote: »
    BS 7671 Amendment 3 is due in 2015.
    Among the changes is the following:

Regulation 421.1.200 has been introduced and will require switchgear assemblies, including consumer units, to have their enclosure manufactured from non-combustible, or not readily combustible, material, or to be enclosed in a cabinet or enclosure that is constructed of non-combustible, or not readily combustible, material.

This new Regulation is being introduced to help to protect against fire that can result from the overheating of connections within consumer units. Overheating can arise from loose connections and connections that have not been made correctly, for example, the connection of a cable over the insulation.

Source

This is quite different from "fireproof", but it does appear to be what the OP is referring to. If some sort of fire retardant assembly / enclosure is installed around the board it should be done in such a way that it does not restrict access to for maintenance / modifications.

• Advertisement

From the 1989 guide (with Pee Flynn's photo)

Electrical control boards should be enclosed in fire-resisting cabinets.

It's a job for a builder.

From the 1989 guide (with Pee Flynn's photo)

Electrical control boards should be enclosed in fire-resisting cabinets.

It's a job for a builder.

Has that guide not been updated since 1989?

Par1 wrote: »
    Has that guide not been updated since 1989?

Oh yes, sure that was before the Building Regs. I was just making the point that it isnt a new requirement.

Thanks Hoagy, see it now. Can't understand how the architect and engineer missed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Not fully domestic, part B&B. From fire officer. I see in England from January All fuse boxes must be fire protected: New regulations, which come into effect on January 2015, will mean that all fuse boards fitted in residential properties will have to be made of fireproof material or be in a special fireproof box.

BS 7671:2008 (2015) has not yet been signed off on by the Chairman of the JPEL/64 committee, so that is simply speculation at this stage. That said, if it is introduced, the Draft for Public Comment suggested that this requirement would not come into force immediately. Presumably many boards already satisfy the mooted requirement of being not readily combustible.

That said, it has no bearing on the requirements of ET 101:2008 as amended.

I'm puzzled. I have a small fuse box say 40 x 20cm high on the wall. How is that a job for a Builder.

I'm puzzled. I have a small fuse box say 40 x 20cm high on the wall. How is that a job for a Builder.

Anyone can do it, so long as they can certify the enclosure to 60minutes to satisfy the Fire Officer.

Thanks, but could you point me in the direction where I might find a photo/diagram of what one would look like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 frankxxxx

it's an odd one this

many of these existing distribution boards will be mounted at ceiling height

it's hard to see how the existing board can easily be fireproofed in that case, if it's even desirable to do so

realistically the distribution board itself should be fire rated and mounted at regulation height(2-25 max) for a commercial b&b

These were installed by 2 electricians who serviced a couple of local hotels so would have thought they knew what was needed. As the recession hit they emigrated so no help there.
    These must be installed in B&B's up and down the country but nobody seems to know what they look like. No success on Google either. Are the mythical?

• Advertisement

These were installed by 2 electricians who sierviced a couple of local hotels so would have thought they knew what was needed. As the recession hit they emigrated so no help there.
    These must be installed in B&B's up and down the country but nobody seems to know what they look like. No success on Google either. Are the mythical?

It's just a cabinet fitted around the DB,made to be fire resistant.
    It's not an electrical item, if you ask for advise in the construction forum I'm sure someone there can help you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 frankxxxx

It's just a cabinet fitted around the DB,made to be fire resistant.
    It's not an electrical item, if you ask for advise in the construction forum I'm sure someone there can help you.

You can't enclose the distribution board with a cabinet if its fitted tight to ceiling

It won't be fire rated unless its totally enclosed and cable entries sealed

Advertisement