Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow, Why do you love it?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

wexie wrote: »
    That's outrageous for so many reasons!! :mad:

One of the things I like about snow is that it (supposedly) brings out the sense of community, especially in rural communities. To refuse to bring a few bags of coal to an elderly neighbour is disgusting, I'd say at least one of those people had a 4x4.

That year I drove around in a 4x4 as my regular car was rwd, I made a point of having recovery equipment with me and towed quite a few neighbours out of ditches and snowbanks. If any of my neighbours had asked me to get them some supplies I would happily have ventured out and anytime I went to the shops I asked my neighbours could I get them anything.

Thank you and yes totally outrageous. One who refused was gritting the lane outside my house and i told him I needed fuel. He asked if i had an account anywhere and I said I would pay him when he brought it. Never saw the man again... He had a four by four right there. But I found Donegal very hard in that respect.. All my life i have worked for others and even now I trade my hand made work at markets and fairs to fund the work my family do with the homeless.
    I find Kerry and Killarney kinder.

But HEY! Boards ie came to the rescue... bless them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

A 4X4 provides more grip and a greater ability to begin moving and keep moving in the snow but moving downhill is just as dangerous, if not more so due to usually heavier weight than that of a FWD or RWD car. So just because someone has a 4X4 vehicle, does not mean they are invulnerable to the snow.
    That being said, if as many people can turn up in vehicles as in Graces7 story above, the roads cannot have been so bad and it suprises me that more weren't up for the challenge of collecting supplies for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

A 4X4 provides more grip and a greater ability to begin moving and keep moving in the snow but moving downhill is just as dangerous, if not more so due to usually heavier weight than that of a FWD or RWD car. So just because someone has a 4X4 vehicle, does not mean they are invulnerable to the snow.

hmmm...yes but a properly shod 4x4 still has a lot more chance of stopping (and moving) than a normal car. (provided there are no nuisances like ABS).

But there are plenty of people going around in capable 4x4's with silly tires that are seriously impeding their cars :confused: Think of all the Range Rovers out there with 22inch wheels clad in a sliver of rubber.

It's like sending an experienced hill walker out in ballet pumps :confused:

And, 4x4 or no 4x4, we should still try to look after our neighbours. Even if you need to give them a bag of your own coal (for example)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

That being said, if as many people can turn up in vehicles as in Graces7 story above, the roads cannot have been so bad and it suprises me that more weren't up for the challenge of collecting supplies for her.

I was amazed at the turn out too! Mostly tractors and big landrovers. The ice was literally three inches solid on the road up the top. Further down easier but that last slope to the house was lethal and I have a wee Suzuki WagonR I had tried to get out the week before and got stuck and had to be pushed back. I think I shamed them frankly as I told everyone I had asked and asked for help...

Graces7 wrote: »
    I think I shamed them frankly as I told everyone I had asked and asked for help...

Well done, hopefully that gave them something to think about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

It's incredibly serene looking and makes a lovely crunchy sound when you walk in it. Years of Christmas cards and Hollywood movies have ingrained the image of a white Christmas into my head and it's not coming back out. It's also fun to play around in if you get enough of it, you can't fling rain at each other in the garden.

I spent most of winter in Montreal last year, loved it and primarily for this reason. At home though it's still nice at Christmas time since being cooped up at home feels like how things should be for those few days. Favourite Christmas is still 2010 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Awkward Author

it's the first sign of Christmas, i love christmas more than snow. After a few months of being cold and covered in ice, it does get a bit monotonous, but I still like it.

C14N wrote: »
    I spent most of winter in Montreal last year, loved it and primarily for this reason.

I spent all my Christmas's from teens to a few years ago in the Laurentians north of Montreal, guaranteed white Christmas.

It's amazing to wake up to 2 more feet of snow than there was the night before and nobody bats an eyelid and life just goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I spent all my Christmas's from teens to a few years ago in the Laurentians north of Montreal, guaranteed white Christmas.

It's amazing to wake up to 2 more feet of snow than there was the night before and nobody bats an eyelid and life just goes on.

Yeah I know, it's really quite an experience by itself. It's also nice just having the snow there in the run up to Christmas too, makes the place seem more festive when it's white starting in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

There are few things more wondrous than watching heavy snow falling on a fresh carpet of white. For some reason, it never feels cold outside when it is snowing - regardless of what the thermo may be showing. I don't know if that is just me or is there some explanation for it. Could well be that the perceived warmth may be from an inner glow from watching it fall. :) On the other hand, there are few things more vile than melting snow. It reminds me of some sort of bubbling festering browny - whte pus that spews itself up from the bowels of the earth to temperately froth on the surface for a short while before retreating back to its realm of damnation.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

I really like putting on gloves and hats and winter coats

I like making snowmen, snow angles and nights are never dark, more pink-

So i can talk my dog for really late walk 11-ish

When I am making a snow angle. I just lay there in snow for Minute

• Registered Users Posts: 31,921 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Tindie wrote: »
    I really like putting on gloves and hats and winter coats

I like making snowmen, snow angles and nights are never dark, more pink-

So i can talk my dog for really late walk 11-ish

When I am making a snow angle. I just lay there in snow for Minute

A snow angle! :pac: Thanks for giving me a laugh :)

A snow angel ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Awkward Author

Mars Bar wrote: »

A snow angel ;)

Snow in the buttcrack. No better feeling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Mars Bar wrote: »

A snow angel ;)

Don't be giving them the third degree about their typo for heavens sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Iv always loved snow. Just love watching it fall out of the sky and walking in it the sound of it :)
    It makes me feel good in myself and happy. Plus u always see people and kids playing in it making snowmen having fun.
    2010 was a dream for me so let's hope it snows proper even for a few days this winter :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

A few:
    - I love to play in the snow with my dog.
    - I love to play in the snow with my RWD car. :D
    - I love the sound snow makes under my feet.
    - I like it when it's white!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Drone footage of Storm West Seneca NY 4K Aerial

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

As Sobanek said, some drifting fun!

Also, high speed car assisted sledding/snowboarding is fantastic, 40mph was done in 2010 around the middle of nowhere roads where i live.

I love everything about snow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

It's what follows a snowfall is more important than the actual snowfall in my opinion - Dec 2010 (and 1982) was followed by dazzling sunshine and blue skies as we all remember but a heavy snowfall in Jan 1987 was nothing more than a complete waste as it was followed by horrible anti-cyclonic gloom and thawed immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

I love the quietness and crunch of snow under foot. That said the whole pipes freezing bit can **** off

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 Marion Morrison

Snow, Why do you love it?

Because its not the thick grey cound wind and rain we get for 45+ weeks of the year.
    And unlike the regular flooding and storms, it causes very little damage and heartarche for most people.

The climate in this country reminds me of the film aliens

Snow also slows the rat race up for a few days, and makes even the ugliest areas more picturesque, which is no harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

This is why we love it!
    Sublime snow crystal timelapse showing the wonder and beauty of snow :)

http://vimeo.com/87342468

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭paulmurphyvec

because we get time of work

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I'd say you had a fair bit of time off to manage to dig this Zombie up!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Rain is horrible - especially when it's nothing remarkable (I love seeing downpours raining exceptionally heavy!)

Sunshine is great - the sunny days in Ireland in Summer are perfect as they rarely have high UV levels and thus low chance of sunburn (unless you're very vulnerable to sunlight). Sunshine in any season is awesome even Winter!

Snow though is the best of all. Reasons why:

- It is rare compared to these weather elements (I have had less than 10 days of snowfall since 2011)
    - When it sticks, it makes abandoned buildings or things look beautiful!!!
    - Winter wonderland
    - Kids out having fun whilst adults can relax in peace for a bit in the house (unless they feel young and do it themselves)
    - No school / work (I hate the department of education for making a policy of stating that if school is closed due to a long period of severe cold or heavy snowfall (like 2010), the Easter holidays or other holidays during the year will be cut short)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Snow, i've loved you from first sight and I always will.

Advertisement