Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

copyright by posting

Options
  • 12-11-2014 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hey there,
    I had a question that I'm hoping someone, or a mod, will be able to answer. Having written a few books and started to try and get one published, I've heard that if you post some or all of it on a public forum like this that it infringes on copyright laws and Literary Agents/publishers are less inclined to take you on. Has anyone had that experience, cos I'd love for you guys to have a look at a few paragraphs for me.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Posting your own stuff online is not breaking copyright law unless you have already sold the rights to somebody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Awkward Author

I can't post the link to the website that had concerned me, it's writers relief.

My question probably has more to do with "previously published" title. Is Boards a public forum. Guests can read the forum without having to register, am I right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

If you post to an open website like Boards, then you have published your work and can't offer a potential publisher first serial rights, which can indeed hurt your chance of getting published. The publisher will say, why should they spend time and money editing, printing and distributing your book, when people can read it online for free?

You always own copyright in your story, whether it is published or not, unless you wrote it as part of your employment.

However, a few paragraphs, or even a chapter or two, is not a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Awkward Author

thanks Eileen, that's very helpful

Advertisement