Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FIFA Puskas Award: Ten best goals of the year announced

• 12-11-2014 7:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Congratulations to Ireland's Stephanie Roche who is among them.

Tim Cahill – 18 June 2014, Australia v. Netherlands, 2014 FIFA World Cup™
    Diego Costa – 23 November 2013, Atlético Madrid v. Getafe, Primera División (Spain)
    Marco Fabian – 15 February 2014, Cruz Azul v. Puebla, 1a División 2014 Clausura (Mexico)
    Zlatan Ibrahimovic – 19 October 2013, Paris St. Germain v. SC Bastia, Ligue 1 (France)
    Pajtim Kasami – 21 October 2013, Crystal Palace v. Fulham, Premier League (England)
    Stephanie Roche -20 October 2013, Peamount United v. Wexford Youths, BEWNL (Rep.Ireland)
    James Rodriguez – 28 June 2014 – Colombia v. Uruguay, 2014 FIFA World Cup™
    Camilo Sanvezzo – 6 October 2013 – Vancouver Whitecaps v. Portland Timbers, MLS (USA/Canada)
    Hisato Sato – 8 March 2014 – Sanfrecce Hiroshima v. Kawasaki Frontale, J.League (Japan)
    Robin van Persie – 13 June 2014 – Spain v. Netherlands, 2014 FIFA World Cup™

Video of all goals. Where you can also vote.

http://www.fifa.com/ballon-dor/news/y=2014/m=11/news=fifa-puskas-award-ten-best-goals-of-the-year-announced-2473885.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Great goal, make sure to vote for Steph folks :)

http://www.fifa.com/ballon-dor/puskas-award/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,179 ✭✭✭✭josip

Brilliant achievement to get there, look at the company she's keeping.
    And all in 144p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

sensational achievement, hope she wins it.being a girl added to the fact that the goal is incredible, means she has a decent chance, though some of the bigger names will obviously have a fan base behind them so that will work against her.

would be amazing if she won it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Unbelievable goal, gets my vote!

It would be sensational if she won it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Great goal, just cast my vote for her. Absolutely fantastic to see her in that company.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

sensational achievement, hope she wins it.being a girl added to the fact that the goal is incredible, means she has a decent chance, though some of the bigger names will obviously have a fan base behind them so that will work against her.

would be amazing if she won it.

Yeah was thinking that myself. Realistically, you feel one of the other names will win it.

Outside of Stepahnie's goal, who would you vote for? They are all incredible goals in fairness. If I had to pick one, I'd say RVPs. Beautiful!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I voted for her because it was the best goal! Fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

Super goal, looking through all the contenders it is one of the best. between herself and ibra for me. but hers edges it. chances of scoring a goal like that for anyone are almost none. Dreamlike sort of goal where each touch is perfect.

reminds me of the pele goal where he controls it on the knee, back to goal, the ball drops to his foot and he lobs it over a player who behind him, spins around said player and then shoots and scores.
    Cant find the goal anywhere but remember seeing it in the italia 90 sticker book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

All top class goals tbh and I was stunned to see Steph Roche there. Didnt think it would be even considered because of the quality of the video!! It got my vote because of the first 2 touches were brilliant imagination and awareness and excellent technique on the finish.

My favorite out of the rest was Tim Cahill's, such a sweet strike with his bad foot on a difficult ball and in close attendance by the opposition.

You could pick any of them really, all superb efforts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

She is there on merit.

Messi be proud of that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Voted for Ibra myself but there all quality goals. Fair play to Steph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Kasami's is my favourite. Made an excellent run and such a ridiculous angle to score from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I voted for Stephanie, but Ibra's made me laugh. Who the hell would think of backheeling that?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Voted for the irish girl, great goal

Cahill, Kasami and RVP's probably better though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Kasami wins it out of the other ones for me.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Has anyone from the Republic been nominated before? I know there was a guy from the north nominated a year or two ago.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Delighted for her! Very nice girl and what a bloody goal that was too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Has anyone from the Republic been nominated before? I know there was a guy from the north nominated a year or two ago.

I'm pretty sure she's the first. At least that's what I read on twitter :)

Surely 2 Irish nominees?

Pat Jim Kasami?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Voted for Stephs goal. Kasami's goal is technically outstanding though. To take it down on your chest at pace and volley it across yourself, brilliant stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Brilliant goal and well deserved. Great boost for the local ladies game here. A couple of the goals in the cup final were quality too so looks like the standard is certainly improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Voted for Steph, but I loved Kasami's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

I also voted for Steph but have to admit Kasami's is better than it but honestly that's the only other one there that beats it. The strike itself is sweet but she has a great first touch, makes an absolute fool of the defender with the flick and then smashes it. Even De Gea or Neuer wouldn't get near that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Looking around at some other goals that have been scored im amazed Joe Garner isnt on that list let alone winning it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,640 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Well done Steph hope she wins or makes the top 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

ASOT wrote: »
    Looking around at some other goals that have been scored im amazed Joe Garner isnt on that list let alone winning it.

He was disqualified due to the naff celebration, innit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Voted for Steph, she won't win, but it'd be great to see in the top 3. Easily deserves to be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Internet voting. The Irish. This will be Ronnie O'Brien Mk2! I think she has a good chance that a campaign will get her Top 3 at least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Seamu$ wrote: »
    Internet voting. The Irish. This will be Ronnie O'Brien Mk2! I think she has a good chance that a campaign will get her Top 3 at least!

There is no comparison here. That goal is there on merit and arguably the best whereas Ronnie O'Brien was just a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Voted for Steph. Best goal for me. Other ones there are pure luck imo.

Ibra- Throws a leg at it. Looks great as it worked.

Sato- Doesn't even look where keeper is just hits it.

Anyone voting for James ahead of Steph doesn't make sense to me. Similar goals but Steph controls it more and also makes the keeper look a fool

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Marco Fabian for me, outrageous control and chip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Last chance to vote for Stephanie tonight for those who haven't and think it is the best goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Stephanie got into the top 3...much deserved!

She stays in the competition against RVP and James Rodriguez next. Decision on 12th January.

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote: »
    She stays in the competition against RVP and James Rodriguez next. Decision on 12th January.

Everyone can keep voting for one of those 3 goals now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

That is a HUGE achievement! Well done Steph! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

It's the best of the 3 goals there. It won't win I don't think but it is an amazing achievement for her! Fair play Steph! She'll be rubbing shoulders with the greats at the awards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Fair play to the woman, serious accolade to be awarded if she wins it. Still think RVP's will win it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Out of the 3 remaining Stephanie's is the best goal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Fantastic achievement, well done to her

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

what if I score a great goal in December , would it still be counted ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

Everyone can keep voting for one of those 3 goals now.

Done!

8d372b48cbcf1721ef7b86b1c8445447.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Never got the huge acclaim for RVP's goal. A flying header looks visually great I'll give it that, but I don't think it's an incredible goal at all. The thing is if he put it wide, I think people would see it as a reasonably poor miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Corholio wrote: »
    Never got the huge acclaim for RVP's goal. A flying header looks visually great I'll give it that, but I don't think it's an incredible goal at all. The thing is if he put it wide, I think people would see it as a reasonably poor miss.

But the thing is, he didnt put it wide?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Voted for Steph.

But this is FIFA. Qatar will win.

what if I score a great goal in December , would it still be counted ?

Maybe next year. Get somebody to video your next match and hope ya score first.
    Corholio wrote: »

I think RVP's is the weakest of the 3 remaining, I would've had Sato and Katsami ahead of his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Bit of a joke that Van Persies is still in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Genuinely think Steph's goal is the best one remaining, the only thing that let's it down is the poor video quality.
    I'd be surprised if she won it but think she deserves too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement