Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FIFA Puskas Award: Ten best goals of the year announced

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Even as United fan I think RVP goal is overrated.

Hope she wins it. She got my vote and will do so again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Still think Kasami's was the best. Said it when it was robbed by Wilshere for Prem goal last year and I'll say it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

But the thing is, he didnt put it wide?!

But what I mean is there should be a huge gap between an incredible goal and 'he should be at least hitting the target' type talk. Like if a player just missed scoring an incredible goal there would never be an element of 'well he probably should have done better', but I think with RVP's there might have been that if he had missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Joke that Van Persies is still in it. Roche is the best of those, but I think Kasami is being robbed here. The pace he came onto that ball while controlling it on his chest is something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Corholio wrote: »
    But what I mean is there should be a huge gap between an incredible goal and 'he should be at least hitting the target' type talk. Like if a player just missed scoring an incredible goal there would never be an element of 'well he probably should have done better', but I think with RVP's there might have been that if he had missed.
    It's as much to do with the inch perfect pass splitting open the World Champion's defence, the beautifully timed run and the well executed and rarely seen lobbed header. Tis a worthy contender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Out of the 3 remaining Stephanie's is the best goal.
    Disagree.

Van Persie's is the best imo. Any world class player could score the same or a similar type goal to the other two nominations but I cannot see any other player in the world barring maybe Ibrahimovic, who could have scored that header, in those circumstances, in the way that he did. It was unprecedented and will go down as one of the most iconic goals in the history of the game frankly. The others will not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

K4t wrote: »
    Disagree.

Van Persie's is the best imo. Any world class player could score the same or a similar type goal to the other two nominations but I cannot see any other player in the world barring maybe Ibrahimovic, who could have scored that header, in those circumstances, in the way that he did. It was unprecedented and will go down as one of the most iconic goals in the history of the game frankly. The others will not.

Any other player bar Ibravimovich :confused: ... also renowned for his diving header abilities.

Agree though on the context of the goal though - WC Finals against world class opposition makes it very impressive. Same with Rodrigues. Wexford Youths don't have the same prestige ;)

It's as much to do with the inch perfect pass splitting open the World Champion's defence, the beautifully timed run and the well executed and rarely seen lobbed header. Tis a worthy contender.

It's a case of just because I don't think it's incredible doesn't mean I think it's crap or anything, it's still a really good goal. I just think the visual element of it has a lot to do with it being called 'amazing' or whatever other superlatives. Just that when you boil it down, he scored with a completely free header just before the penalty spot past a keeper who didn't move.

Not sure holding up beating Spain's defence in that tournament is much of a prestige either, even with saying World Champions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Any other player bar Ibravimovich :confused: ... also renowned for his diving header abilities.
    I was referring to the outlandish nature of the goal. Only Ibra could produce something as audacious imo e.g. karate kick against England.
    Agree though on the context of the goal though - WC Finals against world class opposition makes it very impressive. Same with Rodrigues. Wexford Youths don't have the same prestige ;)
    Has to be factored in alright, but there is no denying the technique she used would make any player proud. But it's not unique or so much better than many of the other contenders as to make it a winner imo. Van Persie's is unique and also an amazing goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Corholio wrote: »
    It's a case of just because I don't think it's incredible doesn't mean I think it's crap or anything, it's still a really good goal. I just think the visual element of it has a lot to do with it being called 'amazing' or whatever other superlatives. Just that when you boil it down, he scored with a completely free header just before the penalty spot past a keeper who didn't move.

Not sure holding up beating Spain's defence in that tournament is much of a prestige either, even with saying World Champions.

You're focusing on the end point, imo, when a lot of the genius is in the build up. The end point was the icing on the cake. He didn't just randomly end up with a free header.

You're focusing on the end point, imo, when a lot of the genius is in the build up. The end point was the icing on the cake. He didn't just randomly end up with a free header.

That's fair enough of course, it was a really good pass, although genius is a bit strong. It's actually awful defending from Ramos to let RVP just run ahead of him, that's a big part of him having a free header too. But these goals can be dissected all day and night of course both ways. It was a really good goal, just imo not the incredible one that some state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

Was wondering why Lamela wasn't in but I didn't read the dates originally.

No point voting imo James will win for the wrong reasons.
    Kasami should be in the top 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Voted for the best goal, which imo was Roche's goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

I hope Roche wins but I think RVP deserves it. It's a goal for the ages I think, as someone else said it's a goal that will be remembered forever, I'm not sure the other 2 will be.

I can't believe some people don't rate it, I think not to rate it is not to appreciate the beautiful game. The inch perfect pass, the timing of the run, the vision and improvisation to even think about doing that, and above all the skill to judge and execute the header so well. I'm not sure people realise how difficult it is to execute a lobbed diving header with a ball coming over your shoulder. Just because it didn't rocket it in off the underside of the bar from 40 yards doesn't mean it's not a great goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I hope Roche wins but I think RVP deserves it. It's a goal for the ages I think, as someone else said it's a goal that will be remembered forever, I'm not sure the other 2 will be.

I can't believe some people don't rate it, I think not to rate it is not to appreciate the beautiful game. The inch perfect pass, the timing of the run, the vision and improvisation to even think about doing that, and above all the skill to judge and execute the header so well. I'm not sure people realise how difficult it is to execute a lobbed diving header with a ball coming over your shoulder. Just because it didn't rocket it in off the underside of the bar from 40 yards doesn't mean it's not a great goal.

Everyones rates it, just not everyone rates it that highly.

Personally I prefer the goals that involve some close control before getting the shot away over a one touch goal, as I think it can involve a lot more luck (probably being overly harsh saying its luck when they clearly mean it). It's why I'm surprised Katsami's wasn't included in the final three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Will be James' goal unfortunately. Cant imagine that the goal of the WC tournament will lose to a goal from the same tournament.

Great goal, dont get me wrong but not one that will still live on in the memories like Van Persie's will.
    I put the van Persie goal in the same category as Van Basten's Euro88 goal and Ibra's goal against England . The WTF did he just do? category.

And women's football should never be compared to the men's game, not even with a goal of the year competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

inforfun wrote: »

And women's football should never be compared to the men's game, not even with a goal of the year competition.

It's a competition for the best goal scored regardless of competition or gender. For me, and many others, it's the most skillful. The fact she is a woman is irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    It's a competition for the best goal scored regardless of competition or gender. For me, and many others, it's the most skillful. The fact she is a woman is irrelevant.

I disagree, there is no way she would of been allowed that much time on the ball against world class defenders

Another point worth making is that this is fifa we are dealing with. A woman winning the award would look good for their image, at a time when it's pretty low. A public vote isn't the most transparent of systems. Maybe I'm just being cynical...

I disagree, there is no way she would of been allowed that much time on the ball against world class defenders

I don't think the criteria for the award mentions the defenders, although I'm open to correction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

The defending for Van Persie's goal is awful. Its a long ball over the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Pique and Sergio Ramos are not world class defenders so does that rule Van Persie's goal out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

With that reasoning, you might as well put this one in there

I am pretty sure there have been at least 10 great goals scored in womens soccer in 2014, they should be in their own list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

I am pretty sure there have been at least 10 great goals scored in womens soccer in 2014, they should be in their own list.
    Don't see how this is an argument to be honest? Like you can't have females going for the Ballon D'or because they wouldn't be as skilled as some of the men on the list but a goal is all about technique and execution, something a professional female football player would possess. The goal is there by it's on merits. Had it been a goal where she just soloed through the defence before scoring it'd be a different story as the defence is clearly nowhere near as good as some of the top male (or even female) teams. But it's her control, movement, technique and clean strike that got her in there. She would have made mince meat of almost any defender (and I do say that honestly) with that and the strike is beautiful. Deserves not only to be in the top 10 but she is deserving of her place in the top 3. Simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Well no, for a start that's not football.
    Why? It's all football at the end of the day, a great goal is what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So by that reckoning only a subset of goals scored against a pre-defined set of 'world class defenders' should be allowed in the competition.

I think Stephanie Roach will win this based on Paddy's ability to stuff the ballot whne it comes to internet votes.

By the way I think it would be a great Joe Duffy topic to ring up and start giving out that your granny cannot vote for her cos she don't have the internet, and that the minister, Michael Ring, should put pressure of FIFA to allow postal ballots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Thud

Didn't spot it on the original smaller video but her second touch is a heel flick :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQOuMWiGMrU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    She would have made mince meat of almost any defender (and I do say that honestly)

Might be honest but it isn't true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Thud wrote: »
    Didn't spot it on the original smaller video but her second touch is a heel flick :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQOuMWiGMrU

Just noticed that myself my god. The better quality video makes me appreciate it ALOT more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Its great that she is Irish and all, but the reality is that she is an amateur player and she scored the goal (great and all as it was) against a bunch of amateur players.

She (or any amateurs of any sex) shouldn't be entered in this competition in my opinion.

• Advertisement

CucaFace wrote: »
    Its great that she is Irish and all, but the reality is that she is an amateur player and she scored the goal (great and all as it was) against a bunch of amateur players.

She (or any amateurs of any sex) shouldn't be entered in this competition in my opinion.

That's a better argument to the gender one tbh. Although she's actually professional now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

I think that's a pretty moot point. She's a great footballer who plays in a female sport that is mostly amateur. It's the closest thing to a professional football league for women in Ireland. She may have been an amateur but that's not because of her quality or the quality of her defence, it's because it's pretty difficult to be a professional in the women's game unless you are playing for a top club in one of the big 5 leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

She's a pro in France now!

• That's some volley by Stephanie Roche, jaw dropping technique.

On a side note; Didn't Paul Pogba score an absolute cracker recently? (Open to correction)
    Not sure exactly when but remember someone posting in on the Forum. Surprised it wasn't listed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    That's some volley by Stephanie Roche, jaw dropping technique.

On a side note; Didn't Paul Pogba score an absolute cracker recently? (Open to correction)
    Not sure exactly when but remember someone posting in on the Forum. Surprised it wasn't listed.

Depends how recently. Any goal scored after September 26 wasn't eligible for this year's award

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Wow - youtube vid really shows how good her goal was. Lets be clear, it isn't 'The best goal by a male in the higher professional leagues' - it's 'the best goal'. It was an official match, so it was a competitive goal & a great one at that. Of course it should be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Went to my first Women's League of Ireland game at the weekend and was very impressed with the standard. As someone has posted before - they all come under the one final admin (FIFA) and the goal should certainly be included.

Personally I think VanPersie is the lead contender for the sheer athleticism of it (and the sentiment). Rodriguez' goal was pure class but lets be fair - we've seen it before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I really think her goal is the best.

I don't think this award is about gender or circumstance.

Her goal would not even have been nominated, nevermind make the top 3, if that was the case in my opinion.

Voted as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I strongly disagree with that, FIFA is the governing body of all football and should be inclusive to all players regardless of sex, age, physical ability, professional status etc.....

I'd be fairly certain when they compiled the short-list, her amateur status was taken into account, which would show just how superb a goal it really is.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think people are getting seriously carried away because shes Irish.

AdamD wrote: »
    I think people are getting seriously carried away because shes Irish.

Like I said elsewhere, if messi heel flicked the ball over his head and volleyed it into the top corner everyone would lose their ****. There's a large degree of Irish self-deprecation about loads of the comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Like I said elsewhere, if messi heel flicked the ball over his head and volleyed it into the top corner everyone would lose their ****. There's a large degree of Irish self-deprecation about loads of the comments.

No, there are people putting context on the goal. There would be far more people arguing about the level this goal was scored at if she wasn't Irish, but because she is many are ignoring it.

AdamD wrote: »
    No, there are people putting context on the goal. There would be far more people arguing about the level this goal was scored at if she wasn't Irish, but because she is many are ignoring it.

She scored a goal at the level she is playing at. If the award is supposed to be inclusive the setting should be irrelevant.

• AdamD wrote: »

If you can recognise the quality of technique on show then that's why you should appreciate the goal.
    And isn't her team Peamount United? Were they not in the Champions League a couple of years back? Not quite sure what level your expecting.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I really don't understand the argument over the standard of the opposition. Looking at the goal, it doesn't even seem to apply - what do the CB and GK fail to do that makes the goal somehow easier?!

She picks the ball out of the air, flicks it over her head and smashes a volley into the corner of the net. Are people trying to argue that Sergio Ramos and Manuel Neuer would have done anything about that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    And isn't her team Peamount United? Were they not in the Champions League a couple of years back? Not quite sure what level your expecting.

They were, but most of that squad and the coach went to UCD waves. Not that I think that the only goals in the list should come from the elite pro leagues, it was a fantastic goal and that's all there is to it for me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Hi guys I'm not to up to date on football or Puskas or anything like that, however I did see the goal and really think Stephanie deserves to win. I'm too lazy to make a bot to vote multiple times however I will share a simple tip that you may already be aware of.

Just clear cookies & cache and hit refresh, voila - you can vote again. If you're not sure how to check out these guides:

Chrome

Firefox

Or you know, let her win ethically. Who's to say the other fans aren't doing something similar with the other players though? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

She scored a goal at the level she is playing at. If the award is supposed to be inclusive the setting should be irrelevant.

Great! My screamer from indoor soccer can be included next time, I made a complete Santy of the defenders when I scored that one.
    what do the CB and GK fail to do that makes the goal somehow easier?!

The CB failed to put any pressure on her, giving her liberty to try whatever little flicks she wanted. If only they were all so accommodating.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Great! My screamer from indoor soccer can be included next time, I made a complete Santy of the defenders when I scored that one.
    Was it in an official FIFA competition? If it wasn't (and I'd be 99.999% certain it wasn't), then no it can't be included.
    The CB failed to put any pressure on her, giving her liberty to try whatever little flicks she wanted. If only they were all so accommodating.
    So going by that logic, RVP's goal also shouldn't be included seeing as the defending in the run up to that goal was also poor.

@ Bucketybuck
    Is your 5 a side recorded and an official fifa tournament. If so fair play :) this argument is absolutely bollox and you know it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement