Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FIFA Puskas Award: Ten best goals of the year announced

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Great! My screamer from indoor soccer can be included next time, I made a complete Santy of the defenders when I scored that one.

No it can't. You're not playing in a top league when playing your indoor game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I just think it's thinly veiled misogyny because a girl can do something better than a boy can :P

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

The CB failed to put any pressure on her, giving her liberty to try whatever little flicks she wanted. If only they were all so accommodating.
    So going by that logic, RVP's goal also shouldn't be included seeing as the defending in the run up to that goal was also poor.

And that was Sergio Ramos!

For the James Rodríguez goal, the defending is utter tripe too. 7 players who could close him down and he's got 5 yards of space in every direction.

Sorry, but the quality of the opposition argument is tosh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    If the award is supposed to be inclusive the setting should be irrelevant.
    Was it in an official FIFA competition? If it wasn't (and I'd be 99.999% certain it wasn't), then no it can't be included.
    @ Bucketybuck
    Is your 5 a side recorded and an official fifa tournament. If so fair play :) this argument is absolutely bollox and you know it.
    Mars Bar wrote: »
    No it can't. You're not playing in a top league when playing your indoor game.

Ah, so now the setting is relevant...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

What? There's a difference between the rules and then the setting on the field.

Her goal was eligible. Your five a side wouldn't be.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Semantics.
    The setting should be irrelevant when it complies with the criteria for the award.
    One of those criteria is that it should be in the top division of a national league (along with confederation club games and national games).

Semantics.
    The setting should be irrelevant when it complies with the criteria for the award.
    One of those criteria is that it should be in the top division of a national league (along with confederation club games and national games).

Is it the best goal or is it not? Is the setting relevant or is it not? Can't have it both ways.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

5 a side isn't officially association football (Different rules, pitch dimensions, no of players etc) so it obviously can't count.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

5 a side isn't officially association football (Different rules, pitch dimensions, no of players etc) so it obviously can't count.

The fact that had to be pointed out shows how desperate the argument to discredit the goal has become

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Christ. For anyone trying to say defending was too poor in Roche's goal, show me a goal, doesn't even have to be a good one, where it couldn't have been prevented with better defending? I'm not saying that the defenders couldn't have done better, but what I am saying is isn't that always the case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Another point worth making is that this is fifa we are dealing with. A woman winning the award would look good for their image, at a time when it's pretty low. A public vote isn't the most transparent of systems. Maybe I'm just being cynical...

It is strange she was the only woman out of the ten goals nominated.
    You'd think that in a theoretically average year, it would be split 5 and 5.

Could. Women win the Player of the year award ahead of Ronsldo or Messi if they had a great year ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Could. Women win the Player of the year award ahead of Ronsldo or Messi if they had a great year ?
    I think everyone knows that males are better footballers than women. It's not sexist to say it. Some of the lower Premiership teams players would be better than the best female footballers. They have their own award at the Ballon D'or ceremony. However, a goal is all about the technique of the strike and the build-up. Any good footballer player has the ability to score a very good goal, it doesn't apply to gender. She is the 5th feamle nominee for the Puska and the first to make the last 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    I think everyone knows that males are better footballers than women. It's not sexist to say it. Some of the lower Premiership teams players would be better than the best female footballers. They have their own award at the Ballon D'or ceremony. However, a goal is all about the technique of the strike and the build-up. Any good footballer player has the ability to score a very good goal, it doesn't apply to gender. She is the 5th feamle nominee for the Puska and the first to make the last 3.

I don't see a woman scoring that goal,i see a footballer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

I don't see a woman scoring that goal,i see a footballer

Well im not trying to be smart but shes quite clearly a women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Is it the best goal or is it not? Is the setting relevant or is it not? Can't have it both ways.

Let it go. A player outside of your fanboy firmament is in the running. Your tired, lame sh1te about your weekly kickabout won't change that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Let me put it this way, if I scored that goal in a 5-a-side, 11-a-side, EPL, UCL, '3 goals in' on the street game I would immediately take off my footwear, walk off the pitch and retire from football. I would then get my boots framed, stick them on the mantlepiece and sit there every night re-watching the video of it!

It's a screamer, an absolute belter of a goal. Technically I think it's the best of the lot, it involved both feet and to control the ball, flick it over a defender and rifle it into the top corner without the ball touching the ground is amazing.

Anyone who doesn't think that deserves to be in the Top 3 knows nothing about football!

She should win it, it's streets ahead of RvP and James. I actually thought the only two to rival it was Kasami (the Fulham guy) and Ibra's goals!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

I have LOLd disparagingly at women's football many times. But that goal was amazing, one of the most pleasing on the eye i have ever seen.

It gets my vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Why are you feeding the troll? Bit of cop on here.

anncoates wrote: »
    A player outside of your fanboy firmament is in the running.

I don't get this bit? Did you mean another word? It doesn't really make any sense in terms of the ongoing discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It's terrific goal.

Deserves its place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rezident

Some great goals in there, :) I'd forgotten about Tim Cahill's that was class. Still torn but I'm leaning towards RvP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

The Japanese one is outrageous.

I don't get this bit?

No way?

anncoates wrote: »
    No way?

I know you probably thought you were being clever, but it really was a poor choice of words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I really thought the sh*te camera angle and quality was going to count against it, but glad to see it in the final 3, and good to see RTE levelling the playing field by showing all 3 goals in the worst quality footage they could find.

Also have to laugh at attempts to discredit the goal.

• Advertisement

I know you probably thought you were being clever, but it really was a poor choice of words.

I'm fine with it, to be honest.

Just a reminder to anyone who has not voted yet. James goal is favourite to win the award but I urge you to look at all 3 goals, and make your vote. Bookies have Steph as a clear second over RVP so if you think her goal is best vote for her. That does sound a little like "vote Steph" but look at all 3 and pick your favourite. Again, for me Steph's is the best of the last 3 but that's just my opinion. Make up your own mind and vote :)

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Just a reminder to anyone who has not voted yet. James goal is favourite to win the award but I urge you to look at all 3 goals, and make your vote. Bookies have Steph as a clear second over RVP so if you think her goal is best vote for her. That does sound a little like "vote Steph" but look at all 3 and pick your favourite. Again, for me Steph's is the best of the last 3 but that's just my opinion. Make up your own mind and vote :)

For me RVP was the best goal.

For me RVP was the best goal.
    Awesome :D I'm not here to persuade anyone to vote for anyone, just since it's in the final stage of voting thought it deserved a bump :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Less than a week to go, vote early and vote often :D

http://www.fifa.com/ballon-dor/puskas-award/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

What date can one vote until?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Why is stephanie roche's goal rated so high?

With the amount of games played every week there are thousands of goals scored, of these there are bound to be some ridiculous goals, freaks that are absolutley amazing but also absolutely random. For me the stage matters, how lucky has roche been that there was a camera recording her goal?

She shouldnt win it, if the stage doesnt matter then it isnt the award for best goal it is the award for best recorded goal and that would be topped by any number of random occurances across the unrecorded leagues and kickabouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

With the amount of games played every week there are thousands of goals scored, of these there are bound to be some ridiculous goals, freaks that are absolutley amazing but also absolutely random. For me the stage matters, how lucky has roche been that there was a camera recording her goal?

She shouldnt win it, if the stage doesnt matter then it isnt the award for best goal it is the award for best recorded goal and that would be topped by any number of random occurances across the unrecorded leagues and kickabouts.

Dont kick kickabouts and unrecorded leagues are recorded by Fifa to be in the running tbf........

Dont kick kickabouts and unrecorded leagues are recorded by Fifa to be in the running tbf........

You're missing the point entirely. and unrecorded league refers to without camera's at game, which there are a lot of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Of course she was lucky it was recorded, cant deny that. However that doesn't diminish the skillfulness of the goal in any way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

As far as I know the FIFA Puskás Award is the award for best goal, and between the other 3, I think it's a bloody amazing goal, and many would argue it's better than RVP's and James' goals. So on that I think deserves to be in contention, or even to win it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Has to be scored in the national top division. Yeah lucky it was recorded, but just because its recorded, doesn't make it eligible. It is a piece of fantastic skill with a strike to match it, it is worthy of being in contention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Latest odds from Paddy Power

James Rodriguez 8/15 Stephanie Roche 5/2 Robin Van Persie 5/1

She's pulled ahead of RVP!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Latest odds from Paddy Power

James Rodriguez 8/15 Stephanie Roche 5/2 Robin Van Persie 5/1

She's pulled ahead of RVP!

Deservedly so. It's miles better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

dan1895 wrote: »
    Deservedly so. It's miles better.

So were Tim Cahill's and Kasami's, for my money. Rodriguez has to win, absolute ridiculous belter off the underside of the crossbar in the World Cup finals, of all stages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

It's easily the best goal of the three that are still in the competition, the other two aren't even close to hers.

I have no doubt that being a woman is actually working against her, if a man had scored that goal he'd deffo win this competition.

It's easily the best goal of the three that are still in the competition, the other two aren't even close to hers.

I have no doubt that being a woman is actually working against her, if a man had scored that goal he'd deffo win this competition.

It isn't easily the best, I don't think it is the best and the fact you are putting it so far ahead to me reads as nationalist bias (big surprise with that username).

Stage matters, it was a great goal in a nothing game, they happen all the time. An audacious goal at the top table is much more impressive. Gender isn't really in it and bringing it in is disingenuous point scoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It isn't easily the best, I don't think it is the best and the fact you are putting it so far ahead to me reads as nationalist bias (big surprise with that username).

Stage matters, it was a great goal in a nothing game, they happen all the time. An audacious goal at the top table is much more impressive. Gender isn't really in it and bringing it in is disingenuous point scoring.

I think gender is a huge part of why some do not appreciate the quality of the goal.

Remember she only scored against other girls !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Why does have to be bias just because someone thinks it's the best goal? Surely that's more disingenuous point scoring? I'm sure goals similar to that happen all the time, great goals in general happen all the time, I am also sure that they would have also gained a following like her's did if it was as good or better. The heel flick set up and following strike is fantastic.

Corholio wrote: »
    Why does have to be bias just because someone thinks it's the best goal? Surely that's more disingenuous point scoring? I'm sure goals similar to that happen all the time, great goals in general happen all the time, I am also sure that they would have also gained a following like her's did if it was as good or better. The heel flick set up and following strike is fantastic.

Easily the best? I can understand saying it's the best but easily suggests some gulf that simply isnt there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Stage doesn't matter at all. It's an incredible goal if it was an empty pitch with cardboard cut out defenders.

dfx- wrote: »
    Stage doesn't matter at all. It's an incredible goal if it was an empty pitch with cardboard cut out defenders.

Then why limit it to top level leagues as was mentioned above, if stage doesnt matter then include all goals, everywhere.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

You could well do so.

But once all the entrants fit the starting criteria, which all these do, whether one goal was on one stage over the other doesn't matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Public votes with unlimited voting devalue the whole thing and.turns the voting process in to a farce.
    The winner could be decided by one eejit with enough time on his hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Kasami's was the winner for me. Does that mean I didn't vote for Stephanie Roche? Of course not.

Advertisement