Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FIFA Puskas Award: Ten best goals of the year announced

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

"I'm trying to concentrate on the Puskas Award for now," said Roche. "I'm not too sure what's happening. I can't really comment."

This quote certainly doesn't reflect overly well on her.

Usually the go to 'I can't comment' line for a player, is 'I'm trying to concentrate on my football' so this is in stark contrast to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I voted for her (yes, she's Irish so I want her to win) but I think the fact that anyone believes her goal deserves to be there is madness. Amateur players, no pressure on the ball, goalkeeper doesn't even dive for it. A professional CB would have shouldered him/her off the ball right after the first flick, not backed off to "see what happens". Placement isn't even that great, I saw someone earlier say "what would Neuer and Ramos have done", are you kidding?

I get the impression a lot of people defending her grossly underestimate just how tough the top level is. Professional football is extremely fast paced and physical, watching it on TV really doesn't do it justice. Give any professional time and space like that on the ball and they could bang it into the top corner.

It happens every day of the week in training. Comparing amateurs to professionals playing on the biggest stage/event of any sport in the world is either madness, bias, or just plain ignorance. Nothing wrong with voting for her but please, some common sense would go a long way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

CSF wrote: »
    "I'm trying to concentrate on the Puskas Award for now," said Roche. "I'm not too sure what's happening. I can't really comment."

Usually the go to 'I can't comment' line for a player, is 'I'm trying to concentrate on my football' so this is in stark contrast to that.

Yeah, the recent media courting / campaign on the issue is a little unedifying but it would be a huge deal for a female footballer so I can understand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

I voted for her (yes, she's Irish so I want her to win) but I think the fact that anyone believes her goal deserves to be there is madness. Amateur players, no pressure on the ball, goalkeeper doesn't even dive for it. A professional CB would have shouldered him/her off the ball right after the first flick, not backed off to "see what happens". Placement isn't even that great, I saw someone earlier say "what would Neuer and Ramos have done", are you kidding?

I get the impression a lot of people defending her grossly underestimate just how tough the top level is. Professional football is extremely fast paced and physical, watching it on TV really doesn't do it justice. Give any professional time and space like that on the ball and they could bang it into the top corner.

It happens every day of the week in training. Comparing amateurs to professionals playing on the biggest stage/event of any sport in the world is either madness, bias, or just plain ignorance. Nothing wrong with voting for her but please, some common sense would go a long way.

You can't bang on about common sense and then just vote for her because she's Irish, you're part of the problem, not the solution tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

You can't bang on about common sense and then just vote for her because she's Irish, you're part of the problem, not the solution tbh.

Yes I can. I made it plainly obvious that I want her to win because she's Irish. Unfair? Of course, but I don't care. I do find it staggering that people think she deserves to win for any other reason though. If that makes me part of the problem then so be it. I'm sure RVP and Rodriguez will sleep soundly at night without the Puskas award.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Not really, would be nice to see an Irish person win it even if I do prefer other goals. Other people prefer different goals to me too so it isn't as if I'm voting against a matter of fact.

Kasami all the way for me on merit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

CSF wrote: »

Yeah, strange that she said she's concentrating on the Puskas. It's an odd thing!

She has been struggling in France though since the only player who could speak French and English left. Apparently she has had better offers come in so I wouldn't blame her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Yes I can. I made it plainly obvious that I want her to win because she's Irish. Unfair? Of course, but I don't care. I do find it staggering that people think she deserves to win for any other reason though. If that makes me part of the problem then so be it. I'm sure RVP and Rodriguez will sleep soundly at night without the Puskas award.

Nationality isnt a reason to deserve it though anyway so anyone making that point doesnt really have a leg to stand on.

Nice to see that people agree with the stage thing though, thought I'd get slaughtered.

Advertisement