Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Liquor License?

• 12-11-2014 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi there,

Does anyone know if its possible to get a temporary liquor license? To sell a type of alcohol in a pop up retail location for about 4 weeks.

I am interested in selling mulled wine in a christmas popup and I'm wondering if its possible legally.

Appreciate any help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I'm not sure but I do remember a certain well-known apple seller "selling" mulled cider at markets but you could only get it if you bought a bag of apples, so essentially you got a free mulled cider with every bag of apples. Not sure of the legalities of it, but don't think he got into trouble for doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

I'm not sure but I do remember a certain well-known apple seller "selling" mulled cider at markets but you could only get it if you bought a bag of apples, so essentially you got a free mulled cider with every bag of apples. Not sure of the legalities of it, but don't think he got into trouble for doing it.

While he did not get into trouble it would be illegal. To the OP you really need advice from a good solicitor in the area.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,740 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

OP, it seems that you may simply need a beer and wine licence, which I believe are ten for a penny. I'm presuming you're not going to be offering spirits or liqueurs for sale along with the mulled wine. I might be wrong but there's more information here: http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/excise/excise-licensing/retailers-licences.html#section1

A solicitor can tell you for sure what the requirements are.

OP, it seems that you may simply need a beer and wine licence, which I believe are ten for a penny. I'm presuming you're not going to be offering spirits or liqueurs for sale along with the mulled wine. I might be wrong but there's more information here: http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/excise/excise-licensing/retailers-licences.html#section1

A solicitor can tell you for sure what the requirements are.

"This Licence is confined to a person who owns a Refreshment House as per Section 6 of the Refreshment Houses (Ireland) Act of 1860."

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1860/en/act/pub/0107/sec0006.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

There was a craft beer fair on in the RDS a month or so ago. Each brewer was selling their own beer. Most of them wouldnt own their own licenced premises so how would they be operating at the fair?

• Advertisement

Beano wrote: »
    There was a craft beer fair on in the RDS a month or so ago. Each brewer was selling their own beer. Most of them wouldnt own their own licenced premises so how would they be operating at the fair?

The RDS is licenced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

The RDS is licenced.

you make an excellent point sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭rock22

They sell mulled wine at Christmas market in Galway. Although it is possible the vendors have a licensed premised somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,198 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Far safer on many fronts and cheaper to make non alcoholic mulled wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 scr6

Thanks for all of your help everyone. Trying my hand at a non alcoholic recipe this evening to see how that goes. Seems like the least hassle.

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

rock22 wrote: »
    They sell mulled wine at Christmas market in Galway. Although it is possible the vendors have a licensed premised somewhere else.

I believe the fair has a licence in it's own right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

People can sell alcohol from an unlicensed premises after a temporary transfer of a licence from an existing pub/licenced premises.

That is the only way that I know of getting around this obstacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Event Hub

Mod note:

You need legal advice, which you can't get here. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement