Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High chair recommendations

Options
  • 12-11-2014 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭

I'm starting to look at high chairs for Baby Merkin but am a little overwhelmed by the breadth of choice out there. Can anyone recommend a good one please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

Merkin wrote: »
    I'm starting to look at high chairs for Baby Merkin but am a little overwhelmed by the breadth of choice out there. Can anyone recommend a good one please?

I have the stokke tripp trapp and love it. It's wooden, light, and means our son sits at the table day one. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

I have also used the ikea antelope high chair (think that is what it's called) that I also thought was good when visiting friends.

For Travel I have the fisher price one that attaches to a dining chair fine but I'm not a fan. I got it for free so it'll do just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I asked the same question a few months back and several people advised on getting the simplest easy to wipe down highchair. Apparently the ones with loads of padding are harder to keep clean. Went for the leopard from ikea cos they had no trays for the antilop the day I was in. I use the antilop in my folks though and it's great. I like the base of the leopard cos it's sturdy and less likely to tip but given the choice again I'd go with the cheaper of the two. (I got mine in the bargain section so it was about €10 reduced).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I got the ikea antelope until I decided which fancy one to get. I Kept it I liked it so much. Very easy to clean. My sister in law got rid of her fancy one (padded recliner ect on it) as it was impossible to clean.

As they where so cheap both sets of grandparents got one too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

We've the Ikea Antilop and its great. But probably not for a very young baby, they'd need to be well able for sitting unsupported in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

We got a padded one from mothercare in one of their sales. Don't find it any harder to clean than others. You have to wipe them all down regardless after every meal.

I think the ikea one and trip trap one looks uncomfortable to sit in. I wouldn't like to sit on them anyway!

He was grand in a friends ikea one, and we got a travel one from smyths too that's handy to leave in the car. Although 100% supervision is needed on those I think as they aren't the safest.

The things we looked at were folded size ( even though we moved and now never put it away) how spread out he legs were, size of tray, ( I also like the layered tray so you could take the dirty layer away and give them a toy or something else to eat on a clean one) . And a tilting back as our fella likesto drink his own bottle, and its easier for him if he's tilted a bit

Also regarding the legs, found hat some spray out WAY beyond they tray/chair area and thought they might be a trip hazard to my clumsy self / older children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Another vote for the Ikea Antilop here. Very easy to clean and does the job perfectly for an incredibly cheap price. We used it from 6 months (with a cushion behind to prop her up for a month or so) and are still using it now at 22 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Just to add, that cushion insert is great and makes it more comfortable for younger ones. I also used it from 6 months with that in. It does have a wide base alright and in my folks house people do catch their feet off it which I can see could be a potential hazard. The plus side of the wide base is that it's difficult for the child to tip it over. The leopard as I say doesn't present this problem with it's circular base.

Just looked up the ikea website and it looks like the antilop can be gotten anymore. Only the more expensive ones. Have a vague memory of some being recalled but could be wrong!

Edit: I was right! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2082554/Ikea-recalls-high-chairs-children-fall-safety-belt-fails.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

There are two awesome ones that I've encountered.

Tripp trapp is fantastic, and a lovely piece of normal-looking furniture (if you feel like your life is being taken over by baby-stuff!). Small footprint, easy to clean, doesn't look plasticy, long lifespan (adjusts as the child grows to a usable piece of furniture). The only downside to this is the price.

Also in the running for my favourite is the fresco Bloom Loft, which we got as a gift, and we love it. Easy to wipe, easy to adjust, don't have to take it apart. Sturdy. Grows with the child as well, but it's a real modern feature piece of furniture. Might not suit your house/style.

Those are the two expensive models.

Does-what-it-says-on-the-tin is the ikea antilop. We have one of these in granny's house, and it's grand. Little bit wide-legged, I've tripped over it a couple of times. But it's light, easy to store, comfy for the child and simple to clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Anyone know what the high chairs are they have in the Jamie Oliver restaurant in Dundrum ? I remember being impressed with them thinking if I was to every buy another it would be that type. Now I can't even remember what they look at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I really wanted to buy a tripp trapp but didn't because a)those crazy videos of children swinging on them b) the seat being very hard that you would need a cushion for a smallie and it would get filthy in our house any way c) my child being very large for a baby so it is a tight squeeze but yet he still needs the "baby seat" attachment.
    I also tried out the "handysitt" (tripp trapp travel booster seat) and I found it very unsafe! They have them in the Douglas and Kyde restaurant in dundrum. They were not sturdy enough for a smallie IMHO. Plus I don't like him being that close to the table! They are on,y suitable for certain chairs too.

I had a spongey mamas and papas one which is a disaster to clean :(

I ended up buying the ikea antilop one on adverts second hand and it is fab. I find it really safe and secure and 100% cleanable! The legs pop off making it really easy to transport. You can bring it right up to the table too without out the tray. I like using the tray as the baby can try and feed himself. I am sure they have them in loads of restaurants and cafes near you to try out?

The next best Highchair I found is a "Rubbermaid" one. They have them in avocas and the cafe in Kildare village. They are super sturdy and easy to clean. They are much more expensive though and I would guess only available from catering suppliers. They are not as attractive looking as the ikea one!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Love the Tripp Trapp. We've been using it for months now. Was expensive enough but as Pwurple said, it doesn't take up a lot of space, grows with the child and doesn't look like another piece of baby paraphernalia. I also love fact that she's at the table with us in it. My 'little' girl is big, has always been in the 90's percentile wise for height and weight and has no problem fitting in it. We just steam the cushion a couple of times a week when we are steaming the floor. It looks perfect, obviously you do have to give it a wipe after meals. My only real complaint about it is the harness. We found it took a lot of adjusting to get it to fit comfortably. My one year old is a compete Houdini and has never come close to tipping it over. They've added gliders to the legs to make it stable since those issues. She also loves to try and push it round the kitchen but it's never looked unsteady. I was given a chicco polly highchair by a friend and it drove me cracked. It was so hard to keep clean. I've heard good things about the antilop but the only time I saw one it felt very light and I would have been afraid my girl would push it/knock it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Anyone know what the high chairs are they have in the Jamie Oliver restaurant in Dundrum ? I remember being impressed with them thinking if I was to every buy another it would be that type. Now I can't even remember what they look at.

they have the tripp trapp

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I quite like the look of this one. Does anyone have any experience with it?

http://www.borndirect.com/furniture/high-chairs/at-home/phil+teds/poppy-highchair

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

On the comfort of high chairs I think that everyone is forgetting the amount of time a baby sits on a floor happily. I don't bother with the cushion anymore on the tripp trapp and it isn't an issue. Our son is 99 percentile on everything and fits fine in the high chair. I looks quite neat in the seat part but I think that's just a design trick of the eye. It is expensive though and that is always a factor but I decided it was worth the expense due to how long it will last him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

Merkin wrote: »
    I quite like the look of this one. Does anyone have any experience with it?

http://www.borndirect.com/furniture/high-chairs/at-home/phil+teds/poppy-highchair

It looks like it would be easy to clean, but way overpriced. :o In my opinion!

I'm another big fan of the IKEA Antilop. Even if they're not selling them anymore, there are plenty around secondhand - we got one new and two secondhand (I only wanted to buy one, but he gave me the second one too as he wanted rid of it, so got both of them for just a fiver!) The secondhand ones are every bit as good as the new one - a good clean, and they were perfect. We got the newborn insert too, although he didn't end up needing it for very long - the cover is machine-washable, which is great. (Actually the insert would work well in that Phil & Teds one, too.)

The one disadvantage of the Antilop - and of that Phil & Teds one - is the risk of tripping over the legs. It's fine once you get used to it, but visitors to the house might get caught out. Also, I think we'll probably dismantle it between uses when he's old enough to walk/run around, for this reason ... fortunately it can be dismantled or put back up in a matter of seconds - something to check with the Phil & Teds one.

By the way (I know I'm not much further on than you in terms of experience!) but I really don't like the idea of that toddler conversion of the Phil & Teds highchair. First of all it's (again) a tripping hazard, and anyways it's no good for mealtimes like that - at that stage I imagine the child would be sitting up on an adult chair at the table, probably with a booster seat - and other than that, the chair would just be taking up unnecessary space ... you'd get a highchair and probably a booster seat and a cute cosy little toddler chair/beanbag for the same price!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

The things we looked at were folded size ( even though we moved and now never put it away) how spread out he legs were, size of tray, ( I also like the layered tray so you could take the dirty layer away and give them a toy or something else to eat on a clean one) . And a tilting back as our fella likesto drink his own bottle, and its easier for him if he's tilted a bit

Ooh I've never seen ones with a layered tray! That would be extremely handy!

It's is pretty much the type of chair we got ( although half the price!)

http://www.mothercare.ie/feeding-safety/dining/highchairs/cosatto-noodle-supa-highchair-hen-house.html

Easy wipes down of the plastic, minimal leg spread (heehee) and 2 trays in 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ooh I've never seen ones with a layered tray! That would be extremely handy!

Yeah, the bloom has a layered tray too. V handy. Take food splattered one away and give baby a toy on the underneath tray while you wash up.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭CiboC

Another vote for the Tripp Trap here, we have one and it has been fantastic. Our fella loves being at the table with everyone else, but you do have to clear a 'control zone' around his spot!

This is a case where you get what you pay for - it is expensive to buy but this is our third child to use it and it is still in great shape, our older ones were using it as a chair long after the high chair period was gone and even now use it as a step to reach shelves.

Once we are done with it we will be able to wipe it clean and in all honesty describe it as being in excellent condition for selling on.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

That phil and ted one looks lovely!

I have the antilop and love it. My sis also got it and she does love to buy expensive stuff but was really impressed by my one. I've used a borrowed chicco one, and even though it was offered to me for free, the nooks and crannys were a divil to clean. Also used the tripp trapp, which I also loved but just couldn't justify the expense.

Make sure you get one with either a leg bar or something between the legs. In a café once, in the length of time it took for me to plonk him in, then root for the straps, he had slipped and was caught deftly by my mother before he hit the floor.

Consider the size in terms of space in your house. the chicco was huge, even folded up, and the baby never looked comfortable in it. He is 2.5 and we still use the antilop.

You may want to have the baby pulled up to the table to eat with you both, so if that is the case take that into consideration.

I would suggest you compile a shortlist in terms of comfort, price, footprint, ease of cleaning, and then google the safety of each on your shortlist. Happy shopping!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Just looked up the ikea website and it looks like the antilop can be gotten anymore. Only the more expensive ones. Have a vague memory of some being recalled but could be wrong!

Edit: I was right! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2082554/Ikea-recalls-high-chairs-children-fall-safety-belt-fails.html

Ikea have the antilop, I picked two up this morning :)

Advertisement