Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run in the Dark 2014 - Dublin

Options
  • 12-11-2014 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

Going to start a new thread for the Dublin "event".

Any one else do the 5k and find it long? I did the 10k last year and it (amaong other things) was short. I know Garmins aren't always accurate but I clocked the 5K at 5.3k, very annoying. It's just impossible to aim for a time at this event, if you manage to avoid the congestion the dodgy distance will get you.

I say it every year, but I don't think I'll be doing this again.

And YES I know it's a fun run and for charity and any event that can get thousands of people that probably don't normally run out running on a Wednesday night can only be a good thing, but like others are saying, I'd be amazed if more than €1 per entry actually makes it to charity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Went out to cheer people on as it passed very close to my house. The choice of route looked terrible as it went up the side of Ringsend park, which is no more than two people wide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

Just home from it... i did the 10k...i felt there was too many twists and turns in the park this year but glad i completed it for the third year in a row...
    It is disappointing if it is not actually near 10k distance like the OP suggests...i'd love if anyone has anymore further info on this???

I heard at least two people collapsed and were taken in an ambulance (one at speed i seen), hope they are alright.

Also I would be disappointed if only a very small % of the fee went to charity.

Fair play to all runners... thankfully the rain stayed away....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭long_b

Anyone know when the results will be up?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

long_b wrote: »
    Anyone know when the results will be up?

Not sure exactly...from the website;

"Results for each location will be posted after the event on the results section. As soon as possible after the event you will receive a text with your chip time assuming you have entered your mobile number correctly during the registration process.

You will receive your email pdf cert the day after the event. "

Website here

http://results.runinthedark.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

PaulieC wrote: »
    Went out to cheer people on as it passed very close to my house. The choice of route looked terrible as it went up the side of Ringsend park, which is no more than two people wide
    Thanks for the support. :)

Yeah, going through Ringsend park was very frustrating! The path is just too narrow to accommodate that many people. At the hairpin bend it was so muddy that everyone virtually came to a standstill then walked it.

My Garmin measured the 10k a little short but it's not going to be exact anyway. I'm convinced that the 9k marker was off! Anyone else notice this? I thought the finish line would never come!

Anyway, I'm glad I took part, not sure if I'll do it again though. It was cool seeing all the flashing lights. My first 10k done. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

I think they went up at about half 11/midnight last year. That's when I got my result via text too but I know others got theirs earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Every year this race has serious issues. I did it the first year when it was in Trinity, the course was dangerous.

I know it is a charity gig but I think they should pay to get an actual race director in to organise it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Second time doing this for me. I prefer the route this time than in 2012. I ran it with a friend and she got a PB even though it was congested in parts. We had good fun and it was great to see all the flashing armbands.

There was a fair amount of support out and about which was nice. Fair play PaulieC.

Yeah, I saw someone being carted off after the Toll Bridge, hope they will be ok. The course measured 9.96km on my Garmin but we all know there's a degree of leeway there.

I'm happy enough, goody bag wasn't too bad. I'd love to know the % that goes to the charity!

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

Agree with the sentiments here. It was my first race/running event and it was nice to finally do a (virtual) 10k. I went solo so the rah rah stuff was painful and seems geared toward corporate teams. Whatever, the volunteers were some sound and etc but the congestion really sucked. It was generally meh. Are there good events upcoming over winter I should check out?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

slap/dash wrote: »
    Agree with the sentiments here. It was my first race/running event and it was nice to finally do a (virtual) 10k. I went solo so the rah rah stuff was painful and seems geared toward corporate teams. Whatever, the volunteers were some sound and etc but the congestion really sucked. It was generally meh. Are there good events upcoming over winter I should check out?

Big congrats on your first event!! This one last year was my first too it's a great buzz!

Aware 10k in a month's time might be a good one for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 buddy22

I thought the course was dangerous tbh. Saw a number of injured people along the route. As someone mentioned earlier, they would really benefit from an experienced race director. I know it's a charity event but it would certainly put me off doing it again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

First timer as well. Ringsend park was a bit of a bottleneck alright. As a newbie I hadn't much of a clue what to expect. Didn't look at my watch until the end (56:30 ish), but as running experience it felt nowhere near as long as when I'm out on my own. The red lights bobbing along were great! Heard a few comments along the way about the 9k thing Ice Storm touched on. Will plug in the Garmin and see what it thinks. Communication often takes a battering at big events, was a little hard to hear the PA at the start. No harm to look deeper into the charity side, if you've seen the documentary about Mark he's about as far from woe is me as you can get.

Saw the two ambulances as mentioned above, and people being looked after - hopefully they are alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

Big congrats on your first event!! This one last year was my first too it's a great buzz!

Aware 10k in a month's time might be a good one for you?

Thanks! I left feeling I could have just done it in the park. I'm REALLY not into the generic charity buzz. But yeah it felt way more dangerous than cycling sportives I've done.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

Going to start a new thread for the Dublin "event".

Any one else do the 5k and find it long? I did the 10k last year and it (amaong other things) was short. I know Garmins aren't always accurate but I clocked the 5K at 5.3k, very annoying. It's just impossible to aim for a time at this event, if you manage to avoid the congestion the dodgy distance will get you.

I say it every year, but I don't think I'll be doing this again.

And YES I know it's a fun run and for charity and any event that can get thousands of people that probably don't normally run out running on a Wednesday night can only be a good thing, but like others are saying, I'd be amazed if more than €1 per entry actually makes it to charity.

A quick look at the website gives you the answer

http://www.runinthedark.org/faqs/#charity

Can I raise money for charity?
    Yes your entry fee will go directly to The Mark Pollock Trust. You can also choose to fundraise for The Mark Pollock Trust or you can fundraise for any other charity of your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭iancairns

Garmin says 6.09 miles. Ran 37.32 Broke my 10k pb (apparently)by over a minute but Garmin won't recognise :( . Agree Ringsend park was a shocker. Picth black and muck at corners nightmare.

Amazing weather for a run. Blessed wasn't yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

sassyj wrote: »
    A quick look at the website gives you the answer

http://www.runinthedark.org/faqs/#charity

Can I raise money for charity?
    Yes your entry fee will go directly to The Mark Pollock Trust. You can also choose to fundraise for The Mark Pollock Trust or you can fundraise for any other charity of your choice.

Ah but what does that organisation actually DO? Interesting that a good few people are questioning the charity after the event. Maybe if it was a better race people wouldn't care. But surely the time to ask where the money is going is BEFORE you hand it over.

Edit: Guff from the MPT website will not constitute an answer to the my "what do they do" question. :D

It's funding for the treatment/research he is doing trying to find a "cure" for (his) paralysis. I think the race was originally called Run in the Dark for Mark.

Edit - here's his TEDx video, worth a watch, and the documentary recently released about him also worth a watch, he's inspiring (IM0)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rMYfiRNT7g

Murph_D wrote: »
    Ah but what does that organisation actually DO? Interesting that a good few people are questioning the charity after the event. Maybe if it was a better race people wouldn't care. But surely the time to ask where the money is going is BEFORE you hand it over.

Edit: Guff from the MPT website will not constitute an answer to the my "what do they do" question. :D

Yeah I find it strange that you would run a charity race and not know what it's for.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Just got a text with my time...48.07 net which I assume is chip time.

Not a PB but still happyish

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Just got the text there.

Well done Black Oil. You finished in ____ your net time is _____

:confused: Which time are we meant to take as accurate ish?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Chip time (net result) is the one to go by I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Just got the text there.

Well done Black Oil. You finished in ____ your net time is _____

:confused: Which time are we meant to take as accurate ish?

Net time is your time - that's from when you crossed the start line.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

sassyj wrote: »
    It's funding for the treatment/research he is doing trying to find a "cure" for (his) paralysis. I think the race was originally called Run in the Dark for Mark

How is the money being used exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

How is the money being used exactly?

This! not even a T-shirt for the price. Will be dodging this again next year, I seen more T-shirts for other events than any promotion for this. absolute joke! seemed like I spent more time organizing 7 people than they did the hole run!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

As far as I know they're trying to train his body to walk again with the help of bionic robotic legs. Over in Berkley, California. I'm leaving out all of the science behind it, I'm sure there's lots more to it than that. Loads more in info here - https://markpollock.wordpress.com/

For what it's worth I've been aware of and amazed by Mark's story since he was "only" blind; before he wound up in the wheelchair. I did the first Run in the Dark for Mark 4 or 5 years ago back when it was a simple affair with just 3 laps around Trinity campus. Since then it has grown into a bit of a behemoth and I think lost the run of itself a little.

But all of that aside, I ran this totally for my own selfish reasons - I wanted to use it as a 5K time trial! So any other complaints about how it's organised, the course, congestion, the price of entry etc. aside, I was personally just disappointed that the course was long so my time is pointless.

People can think want they want of it (and are entitled to) but I think it's a great intro to get people out running and give them the buzz of a race. I think we need to remember it's a fun run and not a race at the end of the day. There are a lot of people like slap/dash probably feeling as proud as punch right now for having done this. If you want to step on from that there are park runs all over the place ever Saturday for free, and races organised by clubs, BHAA, etc. that cost a fraction of this, run like clockwork and give you a technical t-shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

This was my first ever run. decided to go at the last minute with a friend because one of her other friends backed out. Only gripe I have was it was difficult to get a decent starting position. Either people were very unrealistic about how fast they could run it or everyone just piled into the start gate wherever they could get a spot. This lead to a lot of congestion over the first 2km. There was also a lot of congestion over some narrow bridges further down the course. Overall happy enough will probably do another one soon as I enjoyed it had a time of 00:34:30 and a net time of 00:26:27 (just giving you some indication of how congested the start was)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭long_b

10K results
    http://www.sportsplits.com/Home/IndividualResult?clientId=74&raceId=10310&eventId=1&athleteId=122829

5K results
    http://www.sportsplits.com/Home/IndividualResult?clientId=74&raceId=10310&eventId=2&athleteId=115290

Apologies for the funny links (and congrats to the two winners!) - coudn't figure out how to link directly to the full results without choosing someone.

Anyways, just pop in your bib number on the top right hand side

And CONGRATULATIONS TO US ALL !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Thanks for that, long_b!
    That was my first 10k in years, and I'm a little cross with myself because I was just a few seconds over the hour.
    Overall, I thought the night was a success - there was a definite buzz about the place, and there was no shortage of stewards. But Ringsend Park was a definite bottleneck - and the first km marker I saw was at the 5k point. For a noob like myself, it would have been nice to see them at the earlier stages, just to jee one one a bit, like.
    Was the 9k marker accurate? I was cross and tired by the time I got to it but the stretch between it and the finish line seemed to go on forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭HeyArnold320

Your overall position seems to be based on overall time and not your net time. Is this normal?
    I enjoyed it overall but it was very frustrating to be caught up at the bottle necks along the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

iancairns wrote: »
    Garmin says 6.09 miles. Ran 37.32 Broke my 10k pb (apparently)by over a minute but Garmin won't recognise :( . Agree Ringsend park was a shocker. Picth black and muck at corners nightmare.

Amazing weather for a run. Blessed wasn't yesterday

I finished 2 seconds behind you. I actually quite enjoyed the run - we had a nice group trotting around together Ian.

I do think the course was a little short - mostly because I wouldn't expect that time from current training and the garmin backs that up (maybe 100m) - but who knows.

Couldn't open the taps for the last km running into the 5k field but until then there wasn't much congestion although I imagine the park was bad a couple of mins later.

Congrats on being 1st lady home ;)

Advertisement