Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slider pins, NCT

• 12-11-2014 10:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭

mine on the corolla (04, rear calliper) are sticking a little.

left it with the mechanic the other evening and toyota couldn't get the parts before the NCT so he just didn't touch them :( i was hoping in that scenario they could be free'd up a little albeit temporarily.

i've never tampered with a set before, can anyone give me any tips that may free them up enough to get me through the NCT.

how are they removed and do they have to be fitted back in in any particular way?

i'm planning on doing what i can in my front garden tomorrow, probably in the rain :) any advice welcome here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Remove them, clean them up, maybe a bit of delicate sandpaper, grease and assemble. Will be grand (likely). :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

like when i remove the bolt, am i able to slide out the chamber "pin" that it was in. does it come out easily or do i need to prize it etc.

they aren't binding badly, but knowing my luck this could make or break the test :P

Unregistered Users

IIRC they're coming out easily.

328170.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

like when i remove the bolt, am i able to slide out the chamber "pin" that it was in. does it come out easily or do i need to prize it etc.

they aren't binding badly, but knowing my luck this could make or break the test :P

Is your time and effort, messing about with something you know little about, and may make worse, worth less than the retest fee?

Unregistered Users

Gaining experience is worth more. :)

• Advertisement

joujoujou wrote: »
    Gaining experience is worth more. :)

Yes after the test maybe, might be a few more things to gain experience on.

Mech1 wrote: »
    Is your time and effort, messing about with something you know little about, and may make worse, worth less than the retest fee?

somewhat yes.

i've always done all my own work on all my own cars. dad was a mechanic he would always show me, unfortunately he kicked the bucket on me there in june but i still enjoy working with my car.

i've changed the pads on the corolla already and by reading on the internet it's a reasonably handy job to do. i have a free afternoon before the NCT, seems logical.

wish i had the toyo-diy diagrams jou had a browse of some of those links the other day, was handy, thanks :)

go for it so, its easy enough if you already know how to twirl the spanners:D

is your train set (in your sig) sold?

i will go cautiously at it. i'd have a good mechanical knowledge around cars, also worked in a parts department for years, but there's a first time for every job.

so, bolt out, gently persuade the pin out being careful of the seals. clean up and a light film of grease and re-assemble?

• Advertisement

Mech1 wrote: »
    is your train set (in your sig) sold?

no, no it is not :P forgot i even had a signature.

ok best price for it all, and i will teach you how to fix your brakes or even do it for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

yes they come out easily. after taking off the caliper you are left with the nuts basically that the caliper bolts come out of. just pry the front of the rubber boot off and they then just slide out(provided they are not really rusted up)

they are something like this

corolla-front_brakes-caliper_bracket-new_assembly.jpg

when putting it back in push it in fully before popping the boot back on so as you don't trap air.

you into model railways? drop me a pm :)

Done! Didnt go too bad. It was actually the drivers side front that was sticking, it still is but not as bad by any means so hopefully it goes through :pac: i'l know at 9pm :)

Unregistered Users

Congrats! :D

And fingers crossed NCTwise. :)

Failed on the calliper. I was watching out the window, tbe tester had a look and asked another inspector for a second opinion as it was spinning, just with a bit if resistance.

That was the only fail though, everything else was fine :-). What to do next is the thing.

were the slide pins moving freely after you took them out and cleaned them and lubricated them?

ericthecarguy has a vid on servicing your brakes, jump to 3.40 for the slide pins

if the pins are badly corroded you can get a pin kit. Part number 04952-02030
    They are about 40 euro i think from a toyota dealer.
    i think these should do too but or not genuine toyota
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/TOYOTA-COROLLA-E12-2002-2007-FRONT-CALIPER-SLIDER-PIN-KIT-LUCAS-TYP-BCF1376A-/231361446931?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35de378413

if you think it might be the piston that's sticking this is a very good video. although i've not done this myself

nd wrote: »
    were the slide pins moving freely after you took them out and cleaned them and lubricated them?

ericthecarguy has a vid on servicing your brakes, jump to 3.40 for the slide pins

if the pins are badly corroded you can get a pin kit. Part number 04952-02030
    They are about 40 euro i think from a toyota dealer.
    i think these should do too but or not genuine toyota
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/TOYOTA-COROLLA-E12-2002-2007-FRONT-CALIPER-SLIDER-PIN-KIT-LUCAS-TYP-BCF1376A-/231361446931?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35de378413

if you think it might be the piston that's sticking this is a very good video. although i've not done this myself

thanks for that :)

yeah well when i first went at the car they weren't moving at all, a couple of mm if i put a lot off force on them.

there was rust, it wasn't deep set, just light brown surface rust, i gave them a quick clean down with a fine wire wool lubricated with 3 in 1 oil and they cleaned up fairly nice. i gave them a wipe off dry and then a fine coating of grease.

after messing with them, the calliper moved a fair bit more, so as when the wheel was in the air i could spin it with my hand (which i couldn't before) although some resistance was still there for sure.

when i seen the tester trying to spin it, it was locked up again, that said it was my first time doing something like this, so i probably didn't do the job right.

i'm going to buy the pin kit and give it to our mechanic and see what he makes of things. my biggest frustration now is the wait of another few weeks for a new test date, which is why i wanted to pass first time :P ****ing epic waiting times for a test.

Feck, my 3 months early is up in a couple of weeks. Was hoping to get a test date shortly after!

• Advertisement

Feck, my 3 months early is up in a couple of weeks. Was hoping to get a test date shortly after!

depends where you are i guess. i done the test in Arklow, my test was at 8.20pm and it was jammers, both test lanes had ques at that hour. they must be very behind themselves..

yeah i suppose this time of the year and early in the new year year is always the busiest.

Unregistered Users

Failed on the calliper. [...]

Fcuk. czolem.gif

Sorry to hear that. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

I pulled a pin out on the primera, when I got it, that was fairly siezed into the carrier because the boot had split. Had to pull and twist it out with a vice grips. Cleaned it up as you did and not a bother on it since. With the caliper off they just slide in and out freely by hand with no resistance at all. Is the piston moving freely is what I'm thinking. If you pump it out a bit it should wind back in handy enough. Could be the wing of the pad sticking where they slide on the carrier either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭cletus

Like interstice said, is it deco the pins. Last time I had sticking calliper it was the piston. Turned out the brake hose was internally degrading, so there was lot of rubber bits sitting around the piston.

Quick check is to bleed the calliper, if this is the problem you will get lots of **** coming out with the fluid

ok, priced around and spoke with the mechanic today. it was going to cost between 50 and 60 for one calliper set of guide pins and boots from Toyota, but he suggested that if i had attempted to clean them and it was still sticking that there could be corrosion on the piston too, so we decided to go with a new calliper, mainly because if the replaced the pins and i failed another NCT, i would end up in hospital having suffered a stroke.

a new spurious calliper is coming in at €150 which is reasonable. upon inspection of my car, the passenger side from calliper has already been replaced at some stage as "04 corolla" is tip-ex'd onto it :P. my O.C.D. is still telling me i should fit a new calliper to both sides at the same time, but i fully intend on selling the car, so there's no use in sinking an additional €150 into it really. i can't imagine the quality of a €150 brake calliper being all that great, but i suppose i don't care really.

the calliper is being fitted Monday and night, so i should hopefully have an NCT within the next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

was going to ask why the pins only,we have replaced many single calipers on cars and replace pads also why? sticking caliper can burn pads if bad enough,done many for nct fails,road test after fitment and recheck with 2 people with car jacked up first wheels spin,second foot hard on pedal wheels can turn by second person,then pull up slowly handbrake and check each wheel locks at same notch and not 5 on one side and 8 on other=imbalance.

motor factors do refurbished kits and nothing wrong with that.

thanks for that. i was sure it would be sensible to do the pads at the same time too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

toyotas has common problem with with brake calipers ... getting seized on most of model range ... my friend, who know quiet much about toyotas, said, it is very beneficial once a year re-do calipers , usually pins and cylinder need to be cleaned and some new grease has to go.

Be careful about grease, regular grease wont work, but do bad in short time period(getting dry and seize caliper) , as for calipers need special grease, you may ask in local motorfactors grease for caliper pins and pistons.

Good source of illustrations for toyota repairs could be www.toyodiy.com , just enter your VIN number , and it will give you information about particularly your car. for some reason there is no illustrations for newer toyotas, but try yours , to see , if it have for your car.

• Advertisement

Why are ya planning on selling it?

If I was you I'd take the slide pins out again. With the rubber boot off they should move freely by hand. If they aren't I'd try sanding/wire wool ect again.

Were the boots torn to say it had corroded?

Imo the ebay pins would do fine.

If it's the caliper you can buy the piston / seals for fairly cheap.

i will never suggest to a diy person to work on braking system where stripping calipers is involved,its not just your safety but others at risk if not done correctly,and if that piston is undersized that you cant see ??

Couldn't you measure it with a vernier caliper? You could make the same argument for someone changing their brake pads, or pretty much anything else.

Anything could be dangerous if not done right.

how many diy people know what or have that item? or how many tools would the average joe have?

Well this is the diy forum so I imagine most people with an interest in diy would.

Why are ya planning on selling it?

If I was you I'd take the slide pins out again. With the rubber boot off they should move freely by hand. If they aren't I'd try sanding/wire wool ect again.

Were the boots torn to say it had corroded?

Imo the ebay pins would do fine.

If it's the caliper you can buy the piston / seals for fairly cheap.

ah sod it at this stage, the calliper is paid for so i won't be looking at it again. if it was during the summer and i had free time i'd love to spend time fiddling with it, but this is busy season unfortunately.

the boots looked in good condition, there wasn't much corrosion on the pins really, some light surface rust in places but it wasn't very advanced, there was still a reasonable quantity of clean metal, but i guess it mustn't take much to cease them.

i just want something with a little more poke. i'd consider buying a t-sport corolla after i sell it if a nice one came up. the car itself is super, i just miss having a bit of poke.
    Well this is the diy forum so I imagine most people with an interest in diy would.

indeed i agree. what would be the point of a DIY section if every question was met with "if you have to ask, you'l probably **** it up, take it to a mechanic".

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

Mar4ix wrote: »
    toyotas has common problem with with brake calipers ... getting seized on most of model range ... [...]

Maybe those newer ones. Mine's 14 years old and never had an issue with calipers nor slider pins - the only thing I did over there so far were new pads and discs. Nothing else at all.

Toyodiy does not display diagrams for unapproved users (I've no clue TBH what criteria they use for approval). There are few other pages giving the same information without hassle. :)
    [...] i'd consider buying a t-sport corolla after i sell it if a nice one came up. [...]

The most difficult would be to find an unmolested one. Also, 2ZZ-GE engines are prone to fail on crankshaft bearings if not properly serviced, so be extremely careful.

calliper and pads being fitted tonight, re-test Wednesday afternoon... fingers crossed.

correct jou, virtually every t-sport that comes up for sale has been dogged, so i doubt i'l see myself in one, as you rarely see an enthusiast owned model for sale. they are very cheap though, t-sport's seem to command only around half the price of a 1.4 model, thank you very much Irish tax system. i reckon i could sell my 04 1.4 and buy a 04 1.8 and pocket around €1k :pac:

Unregistered Users

calliper and pads being fitted tonight, re-test Wednesday afternoon... fingers crossed.
    Fingers crossed here as well. :)
    correct jou, virtually every t-sport that comes up for sale has been dogged, so i doubt i'l see myself in one, as you rarely see an enthusiast owned model for sale. they are very cheap though, t-sport's seem to command only around half the price of a 1.4 model, thank you very much Irish tax system. i reckon i could sell my 04 1.4 and buy a 04 1.8 and pocket around €1k :pac:
    ... for another engine. :pac:

;)

re-test at 3.55pm... the tension :pac:

Unregistered Users

I'll pray for it. ;)

• Advertisement

It passed :-D

Unregistered Users