Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost of a unit

Options
  • 12-11-2014 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

What is the cost of one unit of electricity when all the add ons, like vat, pso levy etc are included and (excluding any allowances or discounts one might have.)

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭AntDub

danjo-xx wrote: »
    What is the cost of one unit of electricity when all the add ons, like vat, pso levy etc are included and (excluding any allowances or discounts one might have.)

thanks.
    If you're looking to find out who's has the best rates, 1st find out how many units you've used in the last 12 months and go to the below site and you'll find out the supplier that suits you.

http://www.uswitch.ie/gas-electricity/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

A unit costs 19.3c (incl VAT).  PSO is €7.14 per bi-monthly bill.  I've been looking up usage figures for the average home and it seems to be 5300 kw/h (or "units").  Anyway, that would give 883.3 units every 2 months @19.3c per unit = €170.48.  Adding in the PSO, the actual unit cost for the average household is 20.1c

edit : forgot the standing charge of roughly €20, adds another 2.4c bringing it up to 22.5c per unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭EI: Aoife O

danjo-xx wrote: »

thanks.
    Hi danjo-xx,

Our current standard unit rate is 0.1701 per unit excluding VAT (which is what you'd see on your bill),  0.1931 per unit including VAT. We recently announced an electricity price decrease which will come into effect on 17th November. The rates have not been confirmed yet, but they will be less 2% on average. PSO Levy is the same for all suppliers and is €6.08 per month including VAT.

Standing charges depend on your area and the type of meter you have in place (24 hour/Nightsaver). Our rates are outlined on elec.ie/SwitchSave, just click on "View Prices" under any of the price plans and scroll down.

These prices are subject to change.

If there's anything further we can advise you on, do let us know.

Kind regards,
    Aoife

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

thanks guys, its just to know an all in ball park figure for calculating  how much an appliance would cost to run for an hour.  So if I take 25c per kw that should cover it for a domestic customer or should I go with 30c :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi danjo-xx,

For calculating the cost of individual appliances, we would recommend using our Appliance Calculator (also an iOS/Android app).
    danjo-xx wrote:
    So if I take 25c per kw that should cover it for a domestic customer or should I go with 30c :)

The average usage for a residential customer is 14 units per day (or 5,200kWh per year), so this would work out at 0.58 units per hour. This varies a lot from household to household, so it's always best to work out your own average usage based on previous meter readings (if you send us a PM with your account details, we'll be happy to help with this).

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    David

• Advertisement
Advertisement