Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

voip set up

• 13-11-2014 1:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

Currently testing goldfish and grandstream 2020 with 5 numbers and so far so good.

Want to get two extra phones but I want to know if we can do the following.

have the three voip phones and say 20 ddi. Someone externally rings a number and the three phones ring and it is displayed on the phones what line they are ringing for. Each ddi has to have an answering machine for after hours.

On the gradstream phone it has six lines and we can configure it with goldfish that each number has a line so if someone rings that number, it displays on the phone who they are ringing for.

But what is the best way to do it the way we want, a small number of handsets but a large number of ddi's

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Do you want to be able to call out as different Caller ID's on different lines?
    (An easy alternative is just to have it set to Private/Withheld because you'll get confused with what line is what CLI.

The easiest way in my opinion is to have it set up this way:

Configure extension 1000 on phone 1, 1001 on phone 2, 1002 on phone 3.

Forget the rest of the 17 extensions you ignored. You don't care about them.

For each DDI, configure them to route to the extensions you wish, and with a Line Display Name as whatever you wish to see on your phone with the Caller ID when someone dials that number (e.g. Dublin Line, Sales Line etc and then the Caller ID, e.g. 01 1234567).

You can send them to a message or custom voicemail. Goldfish allow you to use one central voicemail (or 20 if you wish), but have a different recording for each DDI route. So the voicemail if not answered 9-5 could say something different to after 5pm, or in the same way if you dialled a different DDI the voicemail greeting would be different for that route. It's very flexible.

You can also go checking each voicemail. I think it's 8000 on Goldfish and then the vm number & pin, or *1001 and then *, voicemail pin and your in. But who honestly has the time to do that?

I would keep it simple and have 1 extension per phone. Otherwise you'll have calls ringing left right and centre and troubleshooting issues would be tedious. You can use all the line buttons on the phone to work on the 1 registered line if you set that in the config admin web portal as far as I know. You don't need to register it 3 times or whatever, that would not be recommended as inbound calls would not route correctly.

Keep things simple :)

Shout if you need anything else or if your stuck. Let us know how it works out and if you learnt anything that you feel others might find handy feelfree to post it!

Advertisement