Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc University College London?

Options
  • 13-11-2014 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Anyone from Ireland gone? What's it like? Basically preparing to graduate in May 2015 and looking into a MSc in UCL.

Any advice be really appreciated. From college itself, the people, social side, costs, enjoyment etc...

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

I'm doing my PhD in UCL, and I'm nearly finished my second year. To be honest, it really depends what department you're in what your experience is going to be like. UCL is massive, like, 25k students, and it's in a huge city - I came from Maynooth, so the difference in scale was pretty much mindblowing.
    London is expensive, rent can be utterly extortionate at times and the cost of living is pretty high. I can't really say much about costs of masters because I have a scholarship for my PhD, but you're entitled to pay home fees as an EU citizen, so they shouldn't be entirely extortionate.
    In terms of facilities, UCL is world-class. There are multiple libraries and it's just down the road from the British Library, too. The campus is kind of spread out through the city, with one main hub in Bloomsbury and lots of buildings kind of spidering out from there, as well as other hubs in other parts of the city.

I really enjoy being in UCL - my departments (laws and information studies) are both friendly and helpful/encouraging, but that's not really relevant to you.
    There are loads of student societies, including a postgrad society, and there are lots of opportunities to meet other people within the uni. As well as that, you're in London, one of the biggest cities in the world!
    The first few months I was in London I found it quite difficult to settle and make friends, but I think if you're doing an MSc, the fact that you have a class group will make that less of an issue for you.
    As a UCL student you'd also have access to the University of London union (now known as Student Central) which is a whole other set of clubs and societies, bars, events, etc, in which you can meet people.

I'd happily recommend UCL - I'm really enjoying my time here, although it's not coming cheap. As far as academics go, though, I'm not gonna be any help to you with that. Sorry. Hope that's enough info to keep you going for now, if you have any other questions, post or PM.

Advertisement