Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New puppy

• 13-11-2014 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all. I'd like some advice!
    I am interested in getting a lovely little Toy Poodle puppy. I leave the house for work at 8.45am and return at 5.15pm. I would walk and play with the dog after work and have a safe, enclosed back garden. I know it is not ideal at all but is there any way this could work? People do have to work so I'm sure there are lots of dogs who manage fine in a house on their own during the day, but I want to make an informed decision before I do anything. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Dog-walker during the day for an adult dog but you're going to find it difficult to house-train a pup being gone for such long hours, plus they'll need three/four feeds a day to being with.

Personally I wouldn't leave a toy poodle outdoors while at work, it would not be there when you come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sorry but unfortunately a Toy Poodle cannot be left outside, they aren't suited to outdoor living, so you would have to keep it indoors when you aren't there.

Leaving any dog, esp a pup for that long everyday isn't fair. Unless you can leave the dog in day care or had a dog walker coming in to the dog a few times a week then your situation is not suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Cali1978

Sorry I should have clarified that I meant to keep the dog indoors while I'm out...just meant there is an area for playing when I'm home... Thanks for advice so far..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If you could organise for the dog to go into day care a couple of days a week then it shouldn't be a problem.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

andreac wrote: »
    If you could organise for the dog to go into day care a couple of days a week then it shouldn't be a problem.

That only applies to an adult dog though. Leaving a puppy for more than an hour or two at a time is a recipe for disaster op. What's more, whilst all dogs are prone to developing separation-related problems due to spending too much time alone, some breeds seem particularly predisposed to it. And yes, poodles are most certainly one of them. Separation anxiety is a terrible condition, I think it's the worst of all behavioural problems. Buying a pup and leaving him for 9 hours a day is setting him up for this.
    To keep a dog when you work long hours, and I mean to keep one properly, addressing his welfare and behaviour needs, takes a lot of hard work and a lot of money (daycare... Daily for a pup but with the hours you're working, realistically it'll need to be sustained when pup reaches adulthood, or at the very least a daily dog walker for your adult dog).
    If you're hell-bent on a dog, a puppy is not a good plan. And if you get an adult, you'll need to make substantial provision for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement