Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NYT: 36 Hours in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Felt to me like a video of Dublin as seen by a hipster who works at the Irish Tourist Board.

That said... It's still nice to see a positive view of the City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Hah, one post until someone said Hipster. If enjoying good food, good beer, art and culture is 'hipster' then you better put me down as one :)

Yes, Dublin is a hip city. Thats its attraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Felt to me like a video of Dublin as seen by a hipster who works at the Irish Tourist Board.

Maybe a traditional Nationwide type feature on Cabra and Clondalkin could have represented the city in a better way.

The city is represented from a particular point of view and there's nothing inherently wrong with that at all.

I just came away from it feeling like i'd just watched a soulless advert and i'm not sure what the goal of the video was outside of plugging a few business.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The city is represented from a particular point of view and there's nothing inherently wrong with that at all.

I just came away from it feeling like i'd just watched a soulless advert and i'm not sure what the goal of the video was outside of plugging a few business.

Since it was in the NYT I can only assume that it was trying to show that there is a different and more moderns side to Ireland that doesn't include sheep, cows, aran jumpers, leprechauns or Irish dancers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

A video from a foreign paper shows a nice side of Dublin and people on here get negative. Sheesh. Also, why is everything that is not big and brash considered 'hipster'?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Dublin city center is a kip. We all know it is a kip. It has to be fixed and policed properly. Stop being so deluded OP.

Blind allegiance to a city center in crisis (by western standards).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Soulless? I would have said its the exact opposite of 'soulless' - great restaurants cooking exciting food with local ingredients, a brewery with 300 years of history which launched altruistic projects all over the city, pubs stocked with hand made, flavoursome beers from all round the country, museums chronicling the socio-political evolution of the city and wider country, the churches and the spirtual and religious history of the city, traditional Irish music, Gaelic sports, cycling along the Liffey and Canals, historic and ultra modern hotels...

How on earth do you look at all that and come up with 'soulless'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Dublin city center is a kip. We all know it is a kip. It has to be fixed and policed properly. Stop being so deluded OP.

NYTimes is based in NYC. Like NYC, Dublin has a lot of issues. But I think most New Yorkers are used to issues cities the size of Dublin has eg Drugs, Beggers etc. Even Manhattan has dodgy neighbourhoods like Harlem, where there is crack dealing on the street and abandoned buildings. Even perfect Munich, which one of the safest and richest cities in Europe. Has some pretty ghetto neighbours, that are full of hookers and drugs.

Its easy for country people to call Dublin a kip. But Dublin has a metropolitan population of 1.8Million. When there is so many people living in one area and especially if its a main city. Its going to look like it has a lot of issues compared to a city like Sligo. Yes Dublin has a lot of social issues. But so does every city that is quite large. Its accurate to compare social issues of Dublin to somewhere like Galway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Just shut up already; nobody wants to hear your worthless opinions stinking up every thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

You have been recently both warned and banned for this type of soapbox posting before. Dial it right down and adhere to the charter (sweeping generalisations and attacking posters in particular, again), or don't post.

If this thread descends into the same old sewer-level mudslinging and other nonsense that has lately become far too common here, lengthy bans will follow.

sabat wrote: »
    Just shut up already; nobody wants to hear your worthless opinions stinking up every thread.

If you have a problem with a post, report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Maybe a traditional Nationwide type feature on Cabra and Clondalkin could have represented the city in a better way.

Why? The article was aimed at Americans coming here as tourists, so it told them the best things to see/do/eat/drink in a 36 hr period. As wonderful as they undoubtidly are, Cabra and Clondalkin ain't exactly overflowing with fun & exciting things for the tourist to do. When I go somewhere new, I love getting off the beaten tourist track and checking out places where the locals hang out. But the odds of people being willing to do that are slim, if they are only going to be here for a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

Actually, it might be interesting if folks here would propose an alternative 36-hour itinerary. Mine would include lunch at the Gravediggers and a quick peek into Glasnevin cemetery (assuming the gate by the pub is still open).

After lunch perhaps a quick visit to an internet café, where they could visit boards.ie for a taste of traditional Irish begrudgery ...

Cheers,

Ac

Didn't the Gravediggers already make it onto Lonely Planet's guide to best something or other to do fairly recently?

Edit: Yes, it did. :)

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/ireland/ireland-claims-two-spots-on-lonely-planet-secret-travel-top-50-1.1820334

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Didn't the Gravediggers already make it onto Lonely Planet's guide to best something or other to do fairly recently?

Edit: Yes, it did. :)

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/ireland/ireland-claims-two-spots-on-lonely-planet-secret-travel-top-50-1.1820334

Still, the fact that it’s not centrally located might save it from being overrun by tourists. So I hope. I’ve not been there for several years.

Last time I was there it was early afternoon, and most of the customers were locals, but quite welcoming to strangers nonetheless.

Cheers,

Ac

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭kellsred

I'd like to know where they are getting their hands on the 10-15 euro tickets for Croker, could do with some of those

I'm pretty sure that you can get Hill 16 tickets for 10-15 quid, during the league & Leinster champo games. They go up in price, as the All Ireland season progresses.

drumswan wrote: »

How on earth do you look at all that and come up with 'soulless'?

Probably because It's asking businesses what they think about their products. I'm not suggesting that Against the Grain or Brother Hubbard aren't nice places (they are) but the last person i would trust to tell me that would be a manager or owner of the place.

Feels to me the same as a manager at McDonald's gleefully reminding us that all their burgers are 100% irish beef.

Simply put i'd rather have the opinion of someone visiting the place not someone who's gone through a business directory looking for people to interview.

(As a side note - i'm not trying to be down on Dublin, i love the place. I'm simply not particularly convinced of the merits of the video)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

Not a bad video, but same old stuff really.

Why the heck can't we start promoting this place for its natural attributes, such as being on a bay (bull island,howth,killiney), show people sailing, horse riding or mtb in the Dublin mountains, golf by the sea, there's so much more we have to offer but all we get is pubs and trendy food joints.

Just frustrates me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

mollser wrote: »

Why the heck can't we start promoting this place for its natural attributes, such as being on a bay (bull island,howth,killiney), show people sailing, horse riding or mtb in the Dublin mountains, golf by the sea, there's so much more we have to offer but all we get is pubs and trendy food joints.

Just frustrates me!

Because you can do "sailing, horse riding or mtb in the Dublin mountains, golf by the sea" in NY. NYTimes is showing things you cant do in America. I think its fantastic that NYTimes should modern Irish food. Rather than so dry, overpriced carvery in some ****ty pub.

NYTimes showed modern Ireland to its readers. Not the Waterford crystal and Aran Jumpers country that Americans expect Ireland to be.

• Advertisement

mollser wrote: »

Just frustrates me!

I totally get your point. Sadly, Dublins fabulous natural attributes are undersold far to frequently to tourists. It's generally all about the Guiness and the Book of Kells. Yaaaaawwwnnnn.....

But the whole gist of the original article was how to best spend 36 hrs in Dublin & what is best to do/see/experience/drink/eat in a very short time period. Going for a hike in the Dublin mountains, or going for a round of golf in Portmarnock, or going sailing in Howth are all wonderful things to do. As residents, we are blessed that we get to do these things on a daily basis. But each one would take up the guts of your day, or an entire morning or afternoon, at the very least. As great as they all are, they don't really fit the bill for an article on packing as much as possible, into a very short amount of time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'd agree it feels and reads like an advert dressed up as an article

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Its aimed at tourists spending a few days in Dublin, en route or returning from Kerry. Connemara etc...so as a collection of bite sized accessible options, its well pitched.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I totally get your point. Sadly, Dublins fabulous natural attributes are undersold far to frequently to tourists. It's generally all about the Guiness and the Book of Kells. Yaaaaawwwnnnn.....

But the whole gist of the original article was how to best spend 36 hrs in Dublin & what is best to do/see/experience/drink/eat in a very short time period. Going for a hike in the Dublin mountains, or going for a round of golf in Portmarnock, or going sailing in Howth are all wonderful things to do. As residents, we are blessed that we get to do these things on a daily basis. But each one would take up the guts of your day, or an entire morning or afternoon, at the very least. As great as they all are, they don't really fit the bill for an article on packing as much as possible, into a very short amount of time.

I get this. So something corny like a trip on the dart to see bono's house, would take in some of the fantastic coastline we have. That would look good on video and show we have more to offer than just pubs hipster eateries and a feckin Guinness museum!

Actually they could finish that with a pint in finnegans for the craic, jaysus I've gone full circle lol!

Bono would just love that. I'd say that he'd be happy to put the kettle on, for the hordes of stalkers tourists who start showing up on his doorstep. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I'd love to have people's lists of 36 hours in Dublin, as I've a fair amount of visitors from abroad who come for a weekend here, and I'd love a variety of suggestions.

My own (in no particular order):
    • Howth
    • DART to Greystones, for the spectacular views
    • The Bray-Greystones walk
    • National Museum or Collins Barracks
    • Walk around city centre, taking in Henry St and Temple Bar, and down Grafton St.
    • Grand Canal Dock
    • Restaurants along Parnell St or Georges St.
    • Weston Hotel upstairs bar for drinks
    • Hughes pub for traditional music
    • Pubs & Nightclubs along Camden St for the younger set

Advertisement