Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Black Sheep, Capel Street

Options
  • 13-11-2014 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know do the Blacksheep sell mainstream beers like Guinness & Smithwicks etc, or is it all Craft Beers ?

21/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

http://www.galwaybaybrewery.com/blacksheep/

if its anything like the other GBB bars, no Guinness or Smithwicks.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

nO it is owned by Galway Bay Breweries

No Diago

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Looking at their Facebook, they have lists from August and there's nothing mainstream. I've been to 3 of their Galway Bay sister pubs (Against the Grain, Brew Dock and The Dark Horse) and none of them serve mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I have a shop a few doors down from them so go there on a regular basis it is all craft beers no big name beers they even got rid of Blue Moon recently guess it had become a bit mainstream! They have quite a few stouts if you are going down probably best to try a taster tray and have a few of the stouts on it to try see if you can find one you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

John Mason wrote: »

No Diago

Ooh Dora won't like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Thanks for the replies, what's their selection of Draught Beers like, can't drink bottles, doesn't fit right with me

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

uch wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, what's their selection of Draught Beers like, can't drink bottles, doesn't fit right with me

Lots and lot of stuff on Draft - If you tell them what kind thing you usually drink they'll often help you out with something similar they have on tap.

They have a load of taps a good bit is their own brews but they often rotate "guest" beers on tap its a nice way to get to taste less well known beers. If you like beer its definitely worth a trip is you are on the Northside.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

If you're used to Guinness nitro head and soft flavour and smoothness, craft stouts can be challenging with full-on flavour, bitteness, sharpness. It might seem a bit flat as the head isn't as creamy and doesn't last as long. Ask if they have any Nitro stouts on, as they always have something different on their 20-odd taps. But if you can get over the presentation difference their Buried At Sea Stout and Stormy Porter are both good.

If you like Smithwicks they should have a few suitable drinks on-tap. The Brewery's own Bay Ale is similar, or for something different they have 5AM saint - a very malty and hoppy red ale.

There is gong to be something German/Pillsy on tap, so if you liked Oktoberfest they'll have something in that dept. They did have Peroni or Tiger at one stage; not sure now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

There is gong to be something German/Pillsy on tap
    There's usually Veltins and Fischer, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

, can't drink bottles, doesn't fit right with me

try pouring the bottle into a pint glass :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

try pouring the bottle into a pint glass :P

In my head it will still be a Rip off

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

jimmii wrote: »
    I have a shop a few doors down from them so go there on a regular basis it is all craft beers no big name beers they even got rid of Blue Moon recently guess it had become a bit mainstream! They have quite a few stouts if you are going down probably best to try a taster tray and have a few of the stouts on it to try see if you can find one you like.

Blue Moon is actually owned by MillerCoors so it was already 'mainstream', it just likes to pretend it's an independent brewery.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Caliden wrote: »
    Blue Moon is actually owned by MillerCoors so it was already 'mainstream', it just likes to pretend it's an independent brewery.
    Technically it's part of the MillerCoors craft beer subsidiary, Tenth and Blake Beer Company.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

In my head it will still be a Rip off

definitely don't buy bottles in the Black Sheep then - they're incredibly expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Does anyone know do the Blacksheep sell mainstream beers like Guinness & Smithwicks etc, or is it all Craft Beers ?

No, but they have far superior alternatives.

I like the bar, but it's a bit hipsterish.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Saipanne wrote: »

A bit!? :P

The only thing they could do to make it more hipster is start selling hipster t-shirts with their beer branding on... oh wait

Hahaha, yeah I know. I can't wait for whatver their next fad is to cone along so they will **** off...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I was in there a couple of months ago and didn't notice anything....my god....am I a hipster??

• Advertisement

I was in there a couple of months ago and didn't notice anything....my god....am I a hipster??

If you didn't think it was a hipster bar then I am afraid you sir are definitely a hipster. I go in there every week and see it full of hipsters so I am safe phew!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Dublin needs more hipsters and hipster hang outs.

Yes. Report to the nearest de-hipsterisation unit for sub culture cleansing.

ror_74 wrote: »
    Dublin needs more hipsters and hipster hang outs.

Let me ponder that while I have a craft cider and a gluten free macaroon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Let me ponder that while I have a craft cider and a gluten free macaroon...

Had a gluten free raw macaroon in ' Joes ' ( Arnotts) recently. Cant say I was impressed. Even less so at paying almost 7 euro for it and a coffee. Nice cafe though ( unless your hipster sensibilities get sniffy at manufactured authenticity )

ror_74 wrote: »
    Had a gluten free raw macaroon in ' Joes ' ( Arnotts) recently. Cant say I was impressed. Even less so at paying almost 7 euro for it and a coffee. Nice cafe though ( unless your hipster sensibilities get sniffy at manufactured authenticity )

Yeh but if you are hipster then you prefer to spend double the normal price on something!

Advertisement