Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Recommendations

Options
  • 13-11-2014 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭

All,

I'm looking to alleviate boredom without spending too much cash for the rest of the month until my wages come in!

To that end, I'm looking for a game for Xbox for under €25 - preferably a shooter or something with a good storyline / career mode.

So far I'm looking at Battlefield 4 & Watch Dogs which seem cheap and decent.

Figured I might throw a thread up here to see if anybody had some recommendations :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Far cry 3, fear, watch dogs is worth a go, GTA 5

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Cheers lads I reserved Battlefield 4 as it's only €16 new in Argos

Was looking at COD Ghosts - that looks unreal so might check that out if it drops in price again - future apocalypse with a German Shepherd = job! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

D'Agger wrote: »
    Cheers lads I reserved Battlefield 4 as it's only €16 new in Argos

Was looking at COD Ghosts - that looks unreal so might check that out if it drops in price again - future apocalypse with a German Shepherd = job! :D

Cod ghosts is terrible. I have a copy you can gladly have for free if you want it.

Cod ghosts is terrible. I have a copy you can gladly have for free if you want it.
    Really - watched the intro to it there and seemed like a really cool concept - lots of urban wasteland combat I'd imagine

I'm okay for the free copy, but thank you for the offer / ringing endorsement of how shít it is :D I'll immerse myself in Battlefield until I grow tired of it....then I'll look elsewhere, but good shooter recommendations are always welcome

I think I'll check out watch dogs later on - seems pretty cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

What about the Tomb Raider Reboot, that was fun while it lasted.

Cormac... wrote: »
    What about the Tomb Raider Reboot, that was fun while it lasted.
    I'll get destroyed for this - but I've only played bits and pieces of Tomb Raider - wasn't a massive fan of it

I'd give my kingdom for a modern day Crash Team Racing though!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Battlefield 4 is also terrible if you're looking for something single player (amazing multi-player if you have a team of friends though - when it worked). Ghosts was such a fking disaster I wasn't able to play it, so I don't know if its been fixed, but I'm not sure you can fix bad design and a fundamental lack of ability to write story. Watch_Dogs is a ball of overhyped shyte and the sooner everyone involved in that hype machine is hung, drawn and quartered for their BS the better - I'm sure if they'd another year of dev time and weren't competing with the giant that is GTA V they'd have done a lot better.

Sounds like you need Spec Ops: The Line. Also maybe Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Really - watched the intro to it there and seemed like a really cool concept - lots of urban wasteland combat I'd imagine

I'm okay for the free copy, but thank you for the offer / ringing endorsement of how shít it is :D I'll immerse myself in Battlefield until I grow tired of it....then I'll look elsewhere, but good shooter recommendations are always welcome

I think I'll check out watch dogs later on - seems pretty cool

no worries, Check out vanquish - its really cool and should be cheap as chips now.
    bulletstorm is also highly spoken of, but I havent played it myself. Same for Borderlands 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I'll get destroyed for this - but I've only played bits and pieces of Tomb Raider - wasn't a massive fan of it

I'd give my kingdom for a modern day Crash Team Racing though!!

The new one is the best of the last decade, it's not like a Tomb Raider game in ways (tank controls). It's very enjoyable.
    I've always found the series over rated but i really liked this one, mainly because it ripped off so much from it's genetically superior Uncharted series

Also have you considered the Mass Effect series?

+1 Vanquish

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Fallout 3 also!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Alan Wake, Mass Effect 2 and Deus Ex Human Revolution

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,357 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Fallout 3 also!

New Vegas though is waaaaaay better. As long as you don't play the borked PS3 game, although that goes for all Bethesda games on PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Payday 2 if you can get it. Whilst there's an "offline" mode, the game is really meant for co-op play where it absolutely shines.

It's criminally fun :D

Lemming wrote: »
    Payday 2 if you can get it. Whilst there's an "offline" mode, the game is really meant for co-op play where it absolutely shines.

It's criminally fun :D
    That looks unreal!! :pac:

That looks unreal!! :pac:

Whilst a lot of public co-op "jobs" can be hit or miss, find yourself a competent crew that will game together and you'll have so, so, so much fun. Every job has different ways of getting it done. Some are always going to go "loud", but others can be done quiet or loud, with bonuses for doing it stealthy that may also have knock-on effects on multi-day jobs, etc.

I play on PC (through steam), and besides the other half who also plays, I've got a couple of friends I've made from public co-op who will regularly play together.

There is a lot of downloadable content available, but it's mostly extra guns/add-ons, etc. You don't need DLC to play one of the DLC maps, but if you are hosting a game, you need the DLC to select the map if that makes sense? There are only a few maps that are currently only available by buying DLC.

Edit: some of the voice commentary in-game is comedy gold :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Thought Wolfenstein was a very good FPS this year. Must be my brother borrowed it about three months back and haven't seen it since.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Thought Wolfenstein was a very good FPS this year. Must be my brother borrowed it about three months back and haven't seen it since.

I've a bit of mixed feelings about Wolfenstein:TNO. Game-play wise it's nothing spectacular to write home about. And graphically it is an absolute pig. My machine is not a slouch and still found it hard going at times. But the game has heart & soul in it; the storyline is compelling and you end up giving a damn about the characters. Not to mention some cheesy sci-fi references in later levels.

For me personally, epic story-telling moment:
    "J" letting rip with the star spangled banner, heard for the first time in the alternate reality and that is heard across Berlin in an act of defiance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Corvo

A moderator who makes out that he is low on the financial side and you all fell for it.

Shame on you all, shame on you.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

synonSr.png

• Advertisement

Yeah Wut?!

Battlefield 4 is going well enough - lack of two player is annoying to say the least and tbqh I'm chronic at the game but enjoying it nonetheless! :)

Cheers for the recommendations y'all I'll be coming back next time I'm looking for a game!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Check out the Metro games. Metro 2033 is brilliant.

Advertisement