Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you do when the dog doesn't want the walk?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

ferretone wrote: »
    You mean the way Opie was supposed to be an adopted adult, and not a collie? :p

Exactly like that. He's not a collie anyway, he's a transgender tri-colour sheep-husky crossed with a mini GSD.
    I swear :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Exactly like that. He's not a collie anyway, he's a transgender tri-colour sheep-husky crossed with a mini GSD.
    I swear :pac:
    Better join a circus or something so :P

Better join a circus or something so :P

On a side note, he's stopped eating his poop since we got the crate :P Mind you, we supervise him constantly outside now and he's also on cereal-free JWB and loves it! Partner hates the smell of it but I quite like it. Amazing how it literally smells how it should (fresh fish).

Took him out this morning and he was fine until it started raining. He just stood there, sorta like a bitch squatting, and looked up at me like ".... no :( "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

On a side note, he's stopped eating his poop since we got the crate :P Mind you, we supervise him constantly outside now and he's also on cereal-free JWB and loves it! Partner hates the smell of it but I quite like it. Amazing how it literally smells how it should (fresh fish).

Took him out this morning and he was fine until it started raining. He just stood there, sorta like a bitch squatting, and looked up at me like ".... no :( "
    Aw, great to hear he's stopped that! As I said, Nyssa had quite the habit coming out of the big rescue, but she seems to have stopped it completely now. They were feeding Select Gold in the rescue, which would be similar to Hills or RC, but Maxi Zoo's own brand, and as I said, leaving everyone to their own devices in the kennels from around 5pm til 8am, so what would you expect :rolleyes:

She's been on raw for 2 months now, and finally seems to have completely dropped the habit, thankfully :o

Poor little fella sure seems to hate the bad weather right now, as I said, I wouldn't push it apart from toilet breaks for the moment. No real point in the walks at that age if the pup doesn't enjoy them :)

Aw, great to hear he's stopped that! As I said, Nyssa had quite the habit coming out of the big rescue, but she seems to have stopped it completely now. They were feeding Select Gold in the rescue, which would be similar to Hills or RC, but Maxi Zoo's own brand, and as I said, leaving everyone to their own devices in the kennels from around 5pm til 8am, so what would you expect :rolleyes:

She's been on raw for 2 months now, and finally seems to have completely dropped the habit, thankfully :o

Poor little fella sure seems to hate the bad weather right now, as I said, I wouldn't push it apart from toilet breaks for the moment. No real point in the walks at that age if the pup doesn't enjoy them :)

His energy spurts at the minute are so short, I just play fetch on the stairs and do a few commands and he's out cold in the crate for hours :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

I normally gave Opie two 15min walks a day - one in the early morning after his feed, and the other in the evening after his last feed. When I found out he was older, I upped it to a 25min walk, only once a day seeing as it's very hard to manage two of them with a buggy while he is still being lead-trained :o

I don't have the baby today (nana's day :p ) so I went to take him out and he literally yelped and cried and huddled the WHOLE way down our driveway and kept trying to shelter himself from the rain. I took him back inside and now he is glued to the radiator :(

What do you guys do when a dog doesn't want to go for a walk?

A word of warning, you shouldn't walk a dog an hour before and especially an hour after eating as this is known to cause bloat in dogs. Basically their insides flip and strangle themselves and death usually occurs within 24hrs. Genuinely not trying to scaremonger but know of several dogs this has happened to.

A word of warning, you shouldn't walk a dog an hour before and especially an hour after eating as this is known to cause bloat in dogs. Basically their insides flip and strangle themselves and death usually occurs within 24hrs. Genuinely not trying to scaremonger but know of several dogs this has happened to.

It's not straight after, don't worry - I actually leave it at least an hour to make sure his bowels are ready to move on the walk, I meant I walk him after his feeds, not before them :o
    Usually he eats at 9am, and is walked at around 11.30am after my daughter's feed so they are both ready to go out, and he is fed last at 6pm, and I take him out around 7.30pm once my daughter has gone to bed and Daddy is home to mind her :p

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

It's not straight after, don't worry - I actually leave it at least an hour to make sure his bowels are ready to move on the walk, I meant I walk him after his feeds, not before them :o
    Usually he eats at 9am, and is walked at around 11.30am after my daughter's feed so they are both ready to go out, and he is fed last at 6pm, and I take him out around 7.30pm once my daughter has gone to bed and Daddy is home to mind her :p

ShaShaBear, just realised it was you who posted, never looked at the name. From what I've seen of you on here i would have known you knew that; I obviously read your post too literally, sorry :)

ShaShaBear, just realised it was you who posted, never looked at the name. From what I've seen of you on here i would have known you knew that; I obviously read your post too literally, sorry :)

Jaysus, you know you've been on Boards too long when people recognise your username :p
    Don't apologise at all, there's plenty I don't know and despite all my know-it-all supreme posts, I've only owned two dogs, and fostered four ;) In many cases I know to do/not do something and have absolutely no idea why/why not :p

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

angeldaisy wrote: »
    both of mine, collie pup and terrier hate the rain. they'll just about go out if forced, but would much sooner forgo the walk and stay snuggled up inside!!

Ha, my collie and terrier are complete opposite! I genuinely don't think they realise that its raining!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

I have NEVER heard this before and I have had dogs all my life. I feed my dog half their food in the am and half in the pm. But after my morning walk, my dogs go straight to their food (I pour their food wen I get up in the morning at 6.30, I bring them for a walk at 7and then when I come home from the walk, I go out the door to go to work) but when we come in from the morning walk, they are always straight to their food. I have been doing this for the routine for the last two years.

Should I be getting my boyfriend to feed them later in the morning instead?

Had to edit the post because I just realised I may have read the post wrong! Is it ok to walk them before the feed and just not after the feed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Had a dog with me today who wasn't overly happy with the fog on the walk. He's normally grand and will run happily about but he barely left my side and then when he did it was to splash in a muddy puddle only to come straight back, almost knocking me over as he would run into my legs and then shake himself because he hadn't got enough muddy water all over me:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Does varying walking routes help?
    I have an older Dog that spends most of the day asleep so I never know if I'm doing the right thing disturbing him to take him for a walk.

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Does varying walking routes help?
    I have an older Dog that spends most of the day asleep so I never know if I'm doing the right thing disturbing him to take him for a walk.

Nah, he just really hates the rain and being wet on his paws :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Ashbx wrote: »
    Had to edit the post because I just realised I may have read the post wrong! Is it ok to walk them before the feed and just not after the feed?

Some breeds are more susceptible, particularly deep-chested, larger breeds. I think feeding them before a walk is important to avoid, but as long as they're not panting hard and still very buzzy after a walk, and particularly with not-so-susceptible breeds, you're safe enough to feed them a short while after a walk.

Advertisement