Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could FIFA be replaced by a new association

• 13-11-2014 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

Looking at how much controversy and corruption is within FIFA, could it be replaced with a new association?

UEFA distancing themselves

Sponsors leaving

Internal corruption

I dont think you could replace the top people to make it better

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

At some stage, they will need to be replaced fully.
    Utterly corrupt to the bone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Fuzzy wrote: »
    At some stage, they will need to be replaced fully.
    Utterly corrupt to the bone.

As would any new organisation.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It is a must that these are replaced. Football administration is corrupt from FIFA, to national associations to the local associations. Football is full of mini blatters and Delaney's at every level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Personally I hope the English FA continue to beat the drum they are beating and go all out and pull out. All it will take is one big association and I reckon a number of others will follow suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

All such bodies end up covered in seaweed and barnacles in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

You'd like to think so but its going to take some of the top FA's to do something about it really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

I'd say fairly easily, look how france & england sorted out the Rugby european cup, if 3 or 4 big FA's in Europe pulled out they'd be fuked as that's where all the money is

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

uch wrote: »
    I'd say fairly easily, look how france & england sorted out the Rugby european cup, if 3 or 4 big FA's in Europe pulled out they'd be fuked as that's where all the money is

They replaced the ERC with EPCR. Mostly the same staff with different TV contract.
    The IRB is Rugby's FIFA and still standing strong.

Breakaways are never a good idea tbh. The Indycar split in the 90s was a disaster and allowed NASCAR to dominate.
    Football is in a lot stronger position but 2 competing governing bodies will lead to confusion and a loss of fans.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Do FIFA not own the rights to association football as it were?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Can you own something like that?

Do people think that the democratic election (with all people who choose to sign up as members of their national association able to vote) of candidates for various positions of authority would solve issues?

Or does the way national governments typically work mean that little would change?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'm not sure, but for some reason I'm under the impression that they do, ie, you can't make money off football without having FIFA approval.

I could be very wrong though. Might have been a very boring dream or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Nope, a breakaway association that played the identical sport would be perfectly fine, plenty of other sports have had such breakaways (boxing, darts, cricket).

So FIFA couldn't stop FIFA2, what they could (and probably would) do is stop anyone who plays under FIFA2 competitions from playing in FIFA competitions for a certain timeframe.
    Thus it makes it an incredibly difficult step for the first few associations to step away from FIFA, and arguably a negative financial move for any players to do so.

Advertisement