Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Automatic 1 Year ban for causing crash on M50?

• 13-11-2014 2:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Automatic one year ban for causing a crash on the M50 - What do you think?

How can you crash into someone when you're travelling in the same direction as everyone else on a relatively straight road, at a max of 100kph on a perfectly surfaced road?

I travel on the M50 everyday and every small incident causes major delays for thousands of people. Some people miss important work meetings, college, miss picking their kids up etc.

The only reason you can crash into someone is beacuse you are not driving with due care.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

Yes, also for the M4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

"Causing" is where it would become an issue IMHO, The Guards are not quiet CSI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Is it not 120kph?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Does seem like there is a crash everyday on the m50/m4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

rizzodun wrote: »
    Is it not 120kph?

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

How can you crash into someone when you're travelling in the same direction as everyone else on a relatively straight road, at a max of 100kph on a perfectly surfaced road?

I travel on the M50 everyday and every small incident causes major delays for thousands of people. Some people miss important work meetings, college, miss picking their kids up etc.

The only reason you can crash into someone is beacuse you are not driving with due care.

Are you saying people should get a 1 year driving ban for causing the accident or for causing you an inconvenience?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Don Kedick

rizzodun wrote: »
    Is it not 120kph?

That's a ban for you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No.

Is after j13 northbound and before it southbound

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Something out of a drivers control?

If the wheel was to come off as a result of an unknown fault on their vehicle, would you consider it was them who caused the crash?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I firmly believe that instead of having a MAX speed limit, they should have a speed threshold on roads (so say instead of 50KM, would be 40-60KM or whatever). Should lessen the number of ridiculously slow drivers, and thus lead to less frustrated drivers getting impatient and attempting an overtaking maneouver in a dangerous part of the road.

I'd love to see the statistics of "Sunday drivers" causing road-rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

Amazed there isnt more given the sheer amount of under taking, tailgating, poor lane discipline, lane hopping, excessive speeding, lack of indicating etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

No.
    Parts of it are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Everybody knows the majority of time consuming accidents on M50 are caused by sh1theads tailgating or haring through lanes a few hundred yards before an exit but it's proving it is the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

1 year ban? Why stop there? Hang them! In fact, hang everyone who inconveniences me in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

No.

Where the accident happened this morning was in a 120 zone.

I firmly believe that instead of having a MAX speed limit, they should have a speed threshold on roads (so say instead of 50KM, would be 40-60KM or whatever). Should lessen the number of ridiculously slow drivers, and thus lead to less frustrated drivers getting impatient and attempting an overtaking maneouver in a dangerous part of the road

You do know you don't have to make a dangerous maneuver? It's like telling a judge you had no choice but to kick somebody's head in because they were annoying you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Imagine a group of tricksters decided to coordinate a series of collisions/breakdowns at key points around the city.

Say: Santry, M3 interchange, Newlands cross, Sandyford & M11/bray.

The city would collapse on itself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

One hundred lashes for every tool who rubbernecks and causes the actual back-log of traffic, would be more my thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

anncoates wrote: »
    Everybody knows the majority of time consuming accidents on M50 are caused by sh1theads tailgating or haring through lanes a few hundred yards before an exit but it's proving it is the problem.
    Well at least Southbound this morning, it wasn't even an accident that caused the delay - it was all the nosey nobheads who had to slow down for a good gawp at the Northbound accident!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

No.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Well at least Southbound this morning, it wasn't even an accident that caused the delay - it was all the nosey nobheads who had to slow down for a good gawp at the Northbound accident!

No accidents; no rubberneckers :)

Imagine a group of tricksters decided to coordinate a series of collisions/breakdowns at key points around the city.

Say: Santry, M3 interchange, Newlands cross, Sandyford & M11/bray.

The city would collapse on itself.

Yeah, fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I like the Jasper Carrott idea - make them take the driving test again.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

A third crash in the same spot a short time ago :rolleyes:

LiveDrive
    M50 northbound: A car has overturned in the exact same spot as the two earlier accidents after J13 Dundrum. Please slow down on the M50!
    11/13/14, 1:43 PM

Yeah, fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together

If you looked at twitter this morning....pretty much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭stevedublin

Stheno wrote: »
    Is after j13 northbound and before it southbound

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

cisk wrote: »

LiveDrive
    M50 northbound: A car has overturned in the exact same spot as the two earlier accidents after J13 Dundrum. Please slow down on the M50!

Aquaplaned. Most likely had **** tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

cisk wrote: »

LiveDrive

Serious?

Well,, f*ck that

(do hope that everyone is okay though)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No.

Meant the other way rounf

Caliden wrote: »
    Aquaplaned. Most likely had **** tyres.

Every tyre has a grading indicator for wet weather performance.

I'd pass a law today requiring a minimum of a 'C' grade for use on Irish roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

Yeah, fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

I take it you didn't notice the almost citywide traffic chaos caused by 1 lorryload of hay being on fire on the M50 N a few weeks back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭micosoft

The big issue is tailgaters. Today in appalling weather you had people with no lights cruising less then two metres off my tailgate at 80 (traffic ahead so that was the limit I could go at).

The guards need to stick a car on the M50 (estate) with rear-facing camera and distance monitor. Anyone who closes in less then a car length when over 30km gets an automatic fine and penalty points. If they did that for a couple of months I'd say you'd eliminate the bulk of accidents and create a nice revenue stream to buy a couple of new cars for them.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

or a blowout.
    or mechanical failure.
    or a sneeze(nearly did this myself once)
    or avoiding a dangerous driver.
    or a scumbag dropping a concrete block onto your windscreen from the bridge above,

There are plenty of reasons. they're called accidents after all.

paulbok wrote: »
    I take it you didn't notice the almost citywide traffic chaos caused by 1 lorryload of hay being on fire on the M50 N a few weeks back?

Or 2 guys sitting down in the road on O'Connell street with Guy Fawkes masks bringing the centre to a halt.

Traffic chaos is very simple to achieve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I agree.

Accidents are only ever caused by other people, and as I am the world's greatest driver and will never ever make a mistake or cause an incident ever this wouldn't impact on me and only other people.

Ban them all, Judge Dredd style.

Tailgaters and lack of indicating are pretty big ones. That and people refusing to merge at more than half the speed the rest of the traffic is doing

And then half the disruption afterwards is people slowing down to rubberneck. gtfo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭The Davestator

or a blowout.
    or mechanical failure.
    or a sneeze(nearly did this myself once)
    or avoiding a dangerous driver.
    or a scumbag dropping a concrete block onto your windscreen from the bridge above,

There are plenty of reasons. they're called accidents after all.

Hmmm. I'll amend my legislation to include some of this. Want to be my deputy transport minister?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

bluewolf wrote: »
    Tailgaters and lack of indicating are pretty big ones. That and people refusing to merge at more than half the speed the rest of the traffic is doing

And then half the disruption afterwards is people slowing down to rubberneck. gtfo

The biggest factor in tailbacks is actually people braking to avoid the car in front, and then accelerating at varying speeds causing a concertina effect.

Ban brake and accelerator pedals, and we're on a winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭The Davestator

It's normally idiots looking at their phone who go into the back of someone. Definite ban for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I firmly believe that instead of having a MAX speed limit, they should have a speed threshold on roads (so say instead of 50KM, would be 40-60KM or whatever). Should lessen the number of ridiculously slow drivers, and thus lead to less frustrated drivers getting impatient and attempting an overtaking maneouver in a dangerous part of the road.

I'd love to see the statistics of "Sunday drivers" causing road-rage.

50/60k would be better.stuck behind someone doing 40 in a 60 zone would do my head in unless the driving conditions are bad

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Putinovsky

Its common practice to slow down if there's an accident on side of the road, not necessarily always 'rubber neckers'

It stands to reason that when there's torrential rain and a half inch of surface water on the motorway, you increase your speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Bet there'll be a "safety" van there this evening to stop these crashes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

smash wrote: »
    Bet there'll be a "safety" van there this evening to stop these crashes!

If the traffic is to go on what it was this morning Southbound...Then the "safety" van laser won't go very high!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Putinovsky wrote: »
    Its common practice to slow down if there's an accident on side of the road, not necessarily always 'rubber neckers'

Mmm hmm, so explain the inevitable massive delays on the opposite carriageway, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

The 49 and 51 are even worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

There should be penalty points for anyone grinding to halt in the left lane to queue hop into an exit lane they could have joined a kilometre back.

paulbok wrote: »

I was aware of it but it didn't affect me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Who ya gonna call to fix that?

• Advertisement
Advertisement