Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much of a football fan do you regard yourself?

• 13-11-2014 3:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭

I was talking to a workmate recently,likes his sport & supports an unfashionable EPL team.He's never been to see them live or shows any ambition to travel over.The cost isn't an issue,it's just that he doesn't seem pushed despite following their fortunes closely.It's the same with watching them on tv,even a cheap offer of Sky Sports didn't tempt him (he "wouldn't have time" :rolleyes:)

My missus knows by now that if United are on tv,then everything else gets scheduled around it about 99% of the time.

I like many here always try to watch my team as often as possible and going to see them in the flesh is always something I plan.Didn't get to travel for the last couple of seasons for various reasons but have a trip planned this year.

So folks,how far do ye go to catch your team playing,in the flesh or on a screen & did you ever go to extreme lengths to watch them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I was mad into it until I was around 18, then I grew into other interests. I actually prefer other sports now. The game seems too predictable now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Rarely travel over (costly), don't have any satellite sports channels on subscription, watch live games via streams when I have time, watch highlights programs mostly. Don't wear jerseys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I know I should be a lot better. When I can get to watch Liverpool on TV I do, but I'd never cancel everything so that I can watch them. Still need to try and watch them in the flesh :o

I enjoy the messing on the soccer forum though. That's mostly where I get my fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Every game possible on TV or stream, go over a handful of times a year, have a few mates that support Chelsea so can hop over with them, have family in London that support them too, also the g/f likes London so she tags along even though she has a passing interesting in Utd, she'll happily ( I think ) sit in the Bridge for 90mins.

If it wasnt for the cost of flying I'd try get over as much as possible.

I've buddies who support Utd and I've been to Old Trafford more times than them, that being once when Liverpool won 4-1, some Liverpool suporting buddies have never been to Anfield either.

I've a buddy whos a Villa fan, he goes over a few times a year, same with one of my uncles who follows Leeds, he goes to more than 15-20 games a year.

I suppose it all boils down to your situation really, money, availability.

I've been to Turners Cross this year too and its been very good, I dont go as often as I should as I've always got something on Friday nights, I'll try change that for next season though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Go to every home Game in Tallaght and a select few away games a season

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I sit on my bar stool regaling my fellow punters about how I could have made it in the game but for my dodgy knee, and put my expertise to use by shouting abuse at the manager/team whenever they're losing. And have also manfully started many a row when a rival fan had the temerity to rate one of his side's players as better than mine.

In full kit too of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,428 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Have been over to see them play but costs dictate it doesn't happen too often. Watch them whenever they are on TV which is rare as they are a championship side. When im home on saturday its usually a case of tuning into bbc radio Lancashire stream to hear a game.

Wife has a guaranteed Christmas present that I'll love every year. She buys me the Blackburn Rovers jersey every year and I wear them everywhere (wearing one right now in fact) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Used to get down to Tolka every week, all aways in Dublin and get in a few away games down the Country too. Work and family commitments over the last couple of years have whittled that right down though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

The type that sits comfortably on a barstool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

dan1895 wrote: »
    Used to get down to Tolka every week, all aways in Dublin and get in a few away games down the Country too. Work and family commitments over the last couple of years have whittled that right down though.

Pretty much the same as this, my wife had a baby in April, so since then I've not gone to Tolka (or an away), but I'll deffo be back next season, son in tow of course.

I watch football on the box, and sometimes arrange events around certain matches, but nothing important is trumped by any TV game at all, and I'll even stop watching a match on telly if something minor comes up.

Finally, I manage the Boards team, and every Tuesday evening is taken up with that.

In the future it will be Boards Team, Shels and the kids football team. I already have him chasing small footballs around the house, and think he might be one of them weird left footers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I organised my life around it. Worked Sundays in order to take Fridays off so I could travel to away games every second week.

Nothing like a three hour bus trip home after a one nil loss away to ucd. In the rain.

Not in Ireland the last while so restricted to the couple of televised games. Listen to most on the radio. I'd we had a big game I'd fly home for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I actually find, in a strange way, that those who get worked up about it and/or like to publicise their fanatical following for a team are the ones who know the least about the sport. Just to point out that doesnt mean going to large lengths to go to games etc.

Try to get over to Anfield once a year (though membership scheme makes it more difficult), watch the matches when its on, but much higher priorities in life.

I think sport is to be enjoyed, not to ruin your day if your "team" loses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Let the bimonthly LOI v EPL debate begin!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

My habits around football have changed in recent years. Used to watch absolutely everything Sky/ESPN/BT had to offer.

Would guzzle online articles/SSN but I've found other sports since and enjoy them a lot more. MMA and boxing have easily surpassed football for me.

I'm really not a fan of over saturation in football. I'll go to a Bohs home or away game of a Friday night, watch Newcastle and if there's ever a decent looking game on that I've time to watch, I'll sit down and watch that.

Weekly live football has certainly changed my way in watching the game for sure. Find it more enjoyable in truth and have met some great people along the way.

Don't mind heading down to my local with the lads to catch a game every now and again but I definitely don't watch as much football as I used to.

Have been to Newcastle a number of times. Love going over there but have fúck all money to be spending on trips over these days. Might try get there before the end of the season if I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Have a share of a season ticket for an EPL mid table club, only go half a dozen games a season or so this last couple of years, sponsor my local junior side so go to as many games there as I can, watch any old rubbish on telly, have been known to sit up watching the likes of Juan Aurich v Oriente Petrolero on a bet365 stream.

Never get overly excited about wins or losses really. I'm more a fan of football than a football fan I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Only missed a handful of home games in Turners Cross the last 10 or so years, didn't get to as many away games as I'd have liked last season, 6 or 7 I think. Absolutely no comparison to watching your team in the flesh than to watching them on TV, that's not to start a live v barstooler argument, it's just so different that there isn't any comparison whatsoever. I'd love if more people had the 'addiction' of going to see live games, that's what I see it as because there's very few things that could stop me going to a match on a Friday night. Sometimes that gets mistaken for 'arrogance' saying your going to watch live football etc, but for me it's really not, it's something I look forward to all week and now couldn't imagine it any other way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Got to 32 of our 33 League games this year (missed the loss to Pats away for mates wedding) as a result of going back to college and having any amount time off.

Great Season to have had happened.

Back working now so next season. So il have to pray I dont get too many late Fridays.

Would go see Drogheda or one Dublin sides if we wernt playing and I was doing nothing

Go to see Celtic 2 or 3 times a year too, usually away games or CL/EL home ties but wouldnt bother me if they win or lose. Just find their fans create an excellent atmosphere

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I would consider myself a big football fan but not necessarily the most committed. I Work most weekends so it can be hard to follow. If I'm off I'll go to a Shamrock Rovers game but if they're not playing I'll head and watch another Dublin club or Cork or Limerick as they're not too hard to get to. I also watch the senior team play at home and I plan on going to more underage games now that I'm single again. If I'm not working and West Ham, PSG or Lausanne Sports are playing on a stream I'll watch that. I used to be a big Kilkenny City fan going home and away when I was in school but they folded a couple of months after I came home. I've always gone to matches where ever I've lived, I much prefer going to a match than watching one on the telly. I've been to most stadiums in Ireland and Switzerland plus a few in England and others around Europe. My brother moved to Upton Park when I was 11, which is the West Ham connection but he left a few years ago and I haven't been back since. I rarely watch match of the day but always watch soccer republic, the lads are on about this player and that player and half the time I wonder how they get to watch so much soccer but I think the soccer I get to watch is on at a different time to what they get to watch because of work times.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Used to be the only thing I watched as a youngster. Always played a few sports but soccer was just always priority in school and amongst friends. Would watch even the ****e Deportivo games on a Sunday night back in the day. Eventually I started following GAA and rugby so my interest waned a bit. My attendance at Galway FC and Connacht games has dipped too because of work/life in general. At the moment I'll watch big games live, any Ireland game, MOTD and get to the odd Galway FC game but I'll always follow it because if nothing else it's a mindless bit of fun and a great ice-breaker when it comes to meeting new people.

I'd give myself a 6/10 as a football fan. It's not the be all end all but you wouldn't get blank looks off me if you brought up Leonardo Bonucci in conversation.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Get to every game in Dalymount and usually every away game in Dublin. Don't get to many away games outside of Dublin, especially those on a Friday.

Might watch a game on the telly at the weekend and catch more if there's some midweek games.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Full time student so Villa Park isn't an option atm, been over a few times though. Go to Bohs regular enough.

Wouldn't be fussed about watching on TV, I can actually get a bit bored. Need to be there in the stadium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I support a team that is now pretty low due to bankruptcy about 12 years ago but were bobbing between 3rd and 2nd division in the late nineties and even threatened for Bundesliga promotion one year.
    I used to play for their youth team and for their reserves later, up to early noughties. Never made it beyond reserves, never any expectation even, but still the only team I really care for. I make a point of watching them whenever I go home. They might even be on a bit of a (tiny) comeback this season.
    But really they're so low at the moment that there is no way I ever get to see them on telly these days.
    So for the last ten years or so I support Bayern as my bit on the side. As they were the only German team I got to see somewhat regularly on telly here due to their ongoing European cup involvement. But I've actually never seen Bayern in the flesh.

Usually make it to 4-7 games a season and get to watch every other game on TV. Things are planned around games, be it midweek or weekend. I've an understanding wife which helps!

There was a time I'd watch any game, particularly when Sky started and it was all bright and new after the grime of the 80s, and you'd travel up to Ireland games and go to L of I games and travel to England and so on. And of course you'd tog out with the local club.

And then life gets in the way and you get other interests and time becomes more precious and you lose the need to see every minute of every game and you stop playing.

But still, there is nothing, nothing quite like seeing Ireland do it in a football match. I love to see Cork City do well, I enjoy the very odd game in England, I love to see Kerry do well in GAA...but then John O'Shea pops up with a last minute equaliser against Germany and you end up hugging strangers and dancing around a bar and you realise that nothing really beats it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Only get to Bray games once or twice a year since moving to Cork. Will go to a few games down here though. Have lost interest in heading over to Leeds with the mess the club was/is in and Ken Bates. And now don't have the money for it. As for TV, I will watch ever match is on terresstial tv for CL. Then matches over the weekend that aren't on sky, I'll normally stream one and keep an eye on it. Sundays I love, will have all the Sky EPL matches on the laptop, and possibly La Liga too. Mostly in the background though, but I do try to avoid college work.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I personally account for a sizeable percentage of the UCD fanbase :pac:
    Try to get to as many games as I can but I live a fair bit away from the Bowl at the moment.

With West Ham I haven't been over in a while as funds don't allow it.
    I'd take a Meath All Ireland win over UCD or West Ham success though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Up to 2 seasons ago I would go to Old trafford 4-5 times a season then go to 4-5 away games. On top of that I would go fly to Easter Road to see Hibs 3-4 times a season often doing both in same weekend.

Normally spent night in around Manchester as don't have worry about accommodation if I don't want, but usually flew home on same day if in Edinburgh.

Used go to all Cork City games in Dublin but very few back in Cork.

Now that I'm back in Cork(for small while) and I'm trying save money I won't make more then couple of games this season at most. Only made 1 trip for United game this season and that was against Man City away.

Only missed 3-4 Cork games this season at home including cups but only went to 1 away game.

Trying save few bob at minute so money talks and I'm more a Barstooler at this moment in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

For my Irish club : go to nearly all home games as family life permits. Make as many away games as family life permits these days, probably made about 70% of them last year. Would partition a few days off a year for Europe if we make it. Am a member of and volunteer for the club as well.

For my EPL club, with family life and so on sadly it's dwindled to a trip every few years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I can attend all the Sligo Rovers home games because I live down the road. Away games are rarely possible, but I will be able to get to Longford and Galway next season now that they have been promoted.

Going to Hamburg is tricky because I can only get to Saturday games so I can fly home Sunday and not miss work. I have to get the 5am Lufthansa flight from Dublin - Frankfurt - Hamburg and arrive about 1pm. Last week was the first this season. 1-0 win over Leverkusen. Can't complain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Every home, every away with very few exceptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Have been to Anfield a few times, probably been to see Ireland live more often. Never seen Cork city live.

Like some above, the appeal for soccer is not the same as when I played it as a lad and the vast sums of money and journey men professionals have put another huge dent in my enjoyment.

MOTD used to be the be all and end all, and I'd get giddy excited about a live Ireland game on the telly a full week in advance.

Watching multi millionaires kicking a leather ball around a field mostly (I know, not all) as a career first and a game way down the list has taken a lot of the magic out of it.

Bah humbug:(

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Usually make it to 4-7 games a season and get to watch every other game on TV. Things are planned around games, be it midweek or weekend. I've an understanding wife which helps!

Pretty much the same as this, except for the wife bit, although that'll change next year (she is very understanding though about priorities when Liverpool are playing) and she even comes to some games with me as well, mostly for the drinking but still.

I used to watch far more general football a few years back when single but not as much anymore, although I usually watch a couple of other games a week as well as the Liverpool match. I won't cancel any and all plans, but I am very much conscious of not making plans that will clash with games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I used to love soccer up until I was about 18 or 19 and I was a Leeds Utd supporter and went over to Elland Road 4 times.With Leeds declining I just sort of lost interest in the game and upon my trips over to Leeds I realised I wasn't proper fan anyway and didn't care anywhere near as much as the fans from the city did about the team.

I enjoy watching the game now on TV but its just basically like a TV show for me.An enjoyable watch but I don't take it any way seriously like I would with GAA.

Also I've began to realise how incredibly badly run professional soccer is and its quite depressing when you see teams (like Borrussia Dortmund) make a big move and challenge only for their players to be picked off by richer clubs.Its kind of sad that the only thing you need for success these days is a lot of money which is not really what sport should be about.All the top European leagues are incredibly predictable and its quite sad that gradually over time the top leagues in europe have become less and less competitive and the smaller leagues have fallen away completely and this doesn't look like changing anytime soon.Surely UEFA should step in and impose salary caps and greater profit sharing like they have in American sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Did you see that ludicrous display last night???

I don't consider myself a big fan, it's a good conversation starter with the lads in work, brothers etc. I go to about one big Arsenal game a year.

What was Wenger thinking bringing Walcott on that early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I love watching it and talking about it. I did a 9 month FAI/FAS course where we trained every day and talked about footy every day. I've done coaching up to the Youth Certificate and coach a lot of girls football. I have done video analysis for Salthill Devon, Galway U19's, Galway Women's team and the odd one for Limerick FC. I've been to a handful of Galway United matches this season. Would have been more but I was in America for the summer coaching on soccer camps. I got to see L.A. Galaxy play three times over there too.

It has absolutely crippled my C.V and "real world" job experience. Everything I have done is soccer related without any sports related third level degree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Watch anything I bet on, from the Premiership, Serie A, Irish league down to the Danish u-19 reserve league if there's a stream for it, which there normally isn't. But mainly the Argentine league as I'd bet on that the most regularly, as it seems to be the best league to consistently win on, and it seems to be on just about every night. Don't follow anyone in it, but ye, I watch too much Argentine football at 1 in the morning. Consider myself a Shels fan, but get to about 2 games a year as I work nearly every Friday evening, so don't really like calling myself one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I used to love soccer up until I was about 18 or 19 and I was a Leeds Utd supporter and went over to Elland Road 4 times.With Leeds declining I just sort of lost interest in the game and upon my trips over to Leeds I realised I wasn't proper fan anyway and didn't care anywhere near as much as the fans from the city did about the team.

Aye, same here. Used to follow Leeds as a kid. Had cousins in Harrogate that I used to go over to quite regularly. Followed the Premiership because everyone else did, and as the old cliché goes to make your case more genuine, picked Leeds "because I had family there". Then they got relegated, and then relegated again. And I never particularly cared, which coincided with me starting to grow up. And I looked around and thought this was pathetic. That for these people born in the shadow of Elland Road, it was the end of the world. And how could I care in the same way these people do? So I said fcuk it, found paddy power, and then the Argentine league

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

I took a big hit in visiting City Calling last season. Only managed a game. Got to the Dublin games this year, the few that were. With the Town back in the big time I'll be able to see much more now away. I really missed seeing the Town on a regular basis so I kinda made up for it by going to see UCD a few times. Can't beat the live stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Consider myself a big fan. As OP said, if my team are playing 99% of the time I schedule things around it. The missus knows this to. Try to travel as much as I can to Goodison, obviously with funds tight it makes it tough.

Been to a away derby.
    Stoke at home
    Chelsea at home
    Villa at home

Every game over 2.5 goals :pac:

Went to Chelsea/Villa this year. Hoping to head over for QPR away this year as have family in London so free accomodation.

Would love to get a Europa game in. Was going to go to Lille, but couldn't afford after Villa at home:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Barstooler/armchair fan.

Haven't been to an Ireland game since Stan the gaffers last match at croke park.

Half dozen or so times at Anfield and about 8 times at park head.

Not as much interest in loi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

Every home game in Tallaght and all the away games around Dublin and Wicklow, plus the odd affordable trip to the rest of the country. Tried to get to Rovers B games but difficult to schedule so only managed a couple. When Rovers not in town and I can't afford the trip away, usually go see one of the other Dublin teams, usually Pats for convenience. Haven't been to Ireland games in 6-7 years and don't really miss it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I go to virtually every home game and maybe 60% of aways. I really think that being there most weeks is key if you're gonna get the whole shebang out of it to be honest. Obviously life can get in the way sometimes but if you're dedicated,as the thread title says, your club becomes a big part of your life and not just ammo to use at the water cooler in work. That's my outlook anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I've followed Liverpool since I was 7 bar a few years in my mid teens (distracted by other stuff). I get to Anfield once maybe twice a year generally, more if I can afford it. I'd watch every single Liverpool match, I would be extremely annoyed if I had to miss one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Barley followed it when I was a small fella. Lost interest completely when I was 13. Then when i was 15 my friend found a PES game on an aeroplane and gave it to me. Started playing that and my interest grew again. I was mad into it for a few years. Got the chance to see Man United in that time.

I lost interest in soccer about 3 years ago. I still follow (catch MOTD if im lucky) it but cannot bring myself to watch a game. Unless its a huge game like Man UTD vs Liverpool. Still watch the Ireland matches though. I just realised when I was about 19 that soccer has been ruined by cheating and money. Much prefer GAA and Rugby now. Soccer is fairly boring and repetitive.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Armchair fan, although with a young baby I'm finding it hard to even watch one game at the weekend without interruption. Went to Highbury twice back in the day, a 3-1 loss to Wimbledon and the League Cup game vs Rotheram we won 21-20 on penos. Fabregas made his Arsenal debut that night too. Not bad for £5.
    Heavily involved in the local GAA team and rarely miss a home or away game. Even go to many underage games.
    Would go to most of the local soccer team's home games too but has been a long time since I went to an away game.
    Used to have membership of Sligo Rovers and went to about ten games when I was a teenager but interest in that has waned a lot.
    Would go to see maybe 2/3 of Sligo GAA games a year too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Still into it but don't watch as much as I used to and it's been far too long since I went to a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The only live football I get to nowadays is to see my 9 year old daughter's five a side team. Swearing and cursing at the opponents and ref is frowned upon so it's not quite the same.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

greendom wrote: »
    The only live football I get to nowadays is to see my 9 year old daughter's five a side team. Swearing and cursing at the opponents and ref is frowned upon so it's not quite the same.

Do you still tell her to " get stuck in, she's no relation"?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

When I was in Ireland, I was a season ticket holder, did some stuff for the fanzine once or twice, helped out during games a few times.

Never missed a home game, went to about every fourth away game. Used to update the Limerick FC thread in the Limerick forum pretty religiously.

As for other football, I didn't have sky because I'd just watch it all day instead of being being part of the family, but would watch MotD every Saturday and Sunday night.

The very reason I ended up in Japan in the first place was to be here for Ireland games in 2002, but, although I'm still interested in international football generally, Irish games don't mean as much to me as they used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Depressing as it sounds, I would amend my plans as much as possible to ensure that I got to watch my chosen club's matches. Those which aren't broadcast live on any mainstream channel, I try to watch online.

I have a voluntary commitment at home which I enjoy immensely and which I would only give up if it was a practical impossibility to keep on. I counted four of my team's games last season which clashed with this voluntary commitment and, thanks to the beauty of Sky Go, I tuned into the footy on my phone. Granted, it meant I was only half-watching the match, but I still felt like I wasn't missing it.

I try to get to at least one home match a season (it's an English club), but due to the scarcity of tickets I'm not always successful.

Oh, and my middle name on Facebook is that of my team's favourite player! :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement