Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RSPCA called

• 13-11-2014 4:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭

Hi this morning me and my girlfriend recieve day called from the RSPCA in regards to our 3 dogs under the assumption that we don't walk our dogs. Due to our work schedule all dogs get walked seperatley so there is always at least 2 dogs in the back garden with adequate shelter. The member of the RSPCA was lovely in fairness. Stating that the dogs look extremely healthy which they do

However this has really hurt the two of us as we love our dogs. Takin one in from the pound and the two we all ready have. Has anyone experienced this before. What has happened when the RSPCA have called? We live on a corner house with the dogs constantly at the gate when someone gets to close. We are really broken up about this. Can anything be done to prevent these unnecessary and upsetting calls in future.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

Sirsok wrote: »
    We live on a corner house with the dogs constantly at the gate when someone gets to close. We are really broken up about this. Can anything be done to prevent these unnecessary and upsetting calls in future.

I reckon nuisance barking is the cause of the visit from RSPCA. I'd guess your dogs spend the day barking at everything that goes past. As Irish dog wardens are less than useless, someone decided to report you to the RSPCA in the hope they might sort out the problem.

There is no reason for your dogs to be pressed up against a gate all day. Move their den further down your garden where the dogs don't have to feel responsible (i.e. feel the need to bark) at everyone walking past.

You might think you are a responsible pet owner because your dogs are happy, but your neighbours have a right to peace and quiet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Sirsok, for clarity, are you posting from the UK or Australia? Just wiodnering why you're referring to them as the RSPCA.
    Why did they call? It's not up to them to take up noise (barking) complaints, but you can be pretty sure a neighbour has reported you, for whatever reason. But from what you're saying it sounds like they got the wrong end of the stick.
    For the record tenifan, maybe the wardens around you are "useless" (or severely understaffed), but around here, you'll get a visit from them if they're causing a problem, nothing surer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Can understand why you would be hurt, I would be too. It hurts even more when you are compassionate towards animals. I had people give me dirty looks and tell me to get my cat spayed when I asked if they could rehome kittens - even though she'd been dumped pregnant and we took her in. The only positive I would say to take from it is at least you know that they are doing their job properly and following up on calls/reports. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Tenifan, the dogs are not pressed against the gate, they have a massive amount of room in the back garden, we have continuely tried to block of the side gate so they don't interfere with passers by but our terrier always finds away which drags are bigger dogs as close as they can to the gate.

Old not wise I have said that to my girlfriend that at least they are people who are trying to benefit the dogs by looking after their best interests but it's extremely hurtful for her. Recently becoming a vegetarian and hoping to join the RSPCA or some doing some vet work as her passion is animals!

We are based in an estate in kilkenny, noise isn't an issue unless some folks are loitering around our house, a mentioned it is a corner house where people pass by and youths hang out across the street.

I am flabbergasted by the situation as our dogs are in the green on the estate with us quite regularly. My dog a golden retriever is my pride and joy, I've ha him since the moment he was born and the thoughts tht someone thinks I mistreat him in anyway infuriates me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

we have continuely tried to block of the side gate so they don't interfere with passers by but our terrier always finds away which drags are bigger dogs as close as they can to the gate.

Just as I suspected. The issue isn't your treatment of the animals, it's your treatment of your neighbours.
    I've ha him since the moment he was born and the thoughts tht someone thinks I mistreat him in anyway infuriates me.

They're probably just at their wits end and hoped that you might keep the dogs under control if they reported you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Tenifan, the dogs are not pressed against the gate, they have a massive amount of room in the back garden, we have continuely tried to block of the side gate so they don't interfere with passers by but our terrier always finds away which drags are bigger dogs as close as they can to the gate.

What exactly are they doing to passers by? Barking? Growling? Looking for pets from them?

Barking I have been looking at ways in which to keep them from side of the house without having to install another gate, guess that may be the only option, thanks anyway guys, it's a quite stressful situation but appreciate the input

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Barking I have been looking at ways in which to keep them from side of the house without having to install another gate, guess that may be the only option, thanks anyway guys, it's a quite stressful situation but appreciate the input

Could you not just keep them inside? They're probably barking out of the excitement of seeing somebody to break up their day while they're alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I suspect the barking is the reason your neighbour reported the dogs but to be fair they may not know your walking schedule and have concerns about the dogs not being walked. The inspector came, has seen there is no issue so there is no reason to be upset.

However the barking is a problem. You say your dogs bark when people go past and that you are a corner house. You mention youths hang out around your house so yes noise is a problem for your neighbours.

Please bear in mind that some people are very afraid of dogs, particular small kids. I have witnessed people stepping onto the road into oncoming traffic because they got such a fright with dogs barking at the gate. There is a house that I pass regularly and they have had to install a second gate with large metal grids on both gates to prevent their dogs barking passerbys.

I have done this in a previous house in regards to gates and it looks like the only viable option now.

We have kept them in the house before and when we are here they come in and out of the house but they can cause a mess at times over night and it isn't viable to keep them in house with the child. With our retriever he can't handle the heat in the house. they also have more then adequate shelter out the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Was it the ISPCA or the dog warden that called?

muddypaws wrote: »
    Was it the ISPCA or the dog warden that called?

Sorry the ispca

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Other than leaving the dogs indoors when you're at work I'm not really sure what to suggest. I can see both sides of the argument. I was chatting with my mum last week and I mentioned the dog thefts that were going on locally and nationally and she said some of it is probably down to neighbours who've snapped after putting up with chronic barking. Now, she was in no way advocating stealing anyone's dogs and it never occurred to me that people might be that hacked off that they'd actually go to those lengths.

My parents next door neighbour has 2 VERY yappy terrier type dogs and the woman used to leave them in the garden while she was out all day to 'deter' burglars, they barked almost constantly and it drove my parents mental. Eventually they had a word with her about it and things got slightly better but not much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

As a dog owner myself I CANNOT stand persistent dog barking, my guy is indoors at all-time when im not home for a couple of reasons really, he likes chillaxing in the kitchen, dog thefts, crappy weather, and the noise issue.
    while he’s not a barker normally, maybe the odd bark here and there when he sees a cat etc., I can only imagine what he would do if left out all day when im in work.

OP I know you love and care for your dogs, but as a responsible dog owner you do have a duty to your neighbours as well…. your dogs barking at the gate when you’re in work etc. (even if for some of the day) isn’t fair on your neighbours and I can understand why the complained to be honest.

My advice to you would be leave them inside, confined to one room while you are out, its fairer on your neighbours and also on your peace of mind.

Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

I have done this in a previous house in regards to gates and it looks like the only viable option now.

We have kept them in the house before and when we are here they come in and out of the house but they can cause a mess at times over night and it isn't viable to keep them in house with the child. With our retriever he can't handle the heat in the house. they also have more then adequate shelter out the back.

I can't really see why they can't be in the house just because there is a child there. Surely you don't leave the child alone in the house, and I got the impression that it was while you'd be out with one dog the other 2 would be barking?

They couldn't make a mess at night if you confined them in one well-secured area. And if your retriever cannot handle the temperature in the house, it rather sounds as though you have the heat turned up too high, which isn't healthy for you or your children either.

I know plenty of retrievers who live indoors full-time without a problem. Retriever coat isn't that heavy. My dog has a pretty impressive coat, and lives indoors with us - she just tends to lie on the floor, rather than on the cosy beds provided, when she gets too warm

• Registered Users Posts: 1 thisisthestory

I walk past a house just like yours every day. Let me tell you I am not one bit surprised you were reported if it happens to be you as the dogs bark constantly and the big ones are loud as hell. And yes they are pressed up against the gate, if not trying to jump to see over the wall, whenever someone goes past. I'm just glad that they are secure enough that they can't get out or near my dog. I've often remarked that I don't know how the neighbours put up with it as if I lived there I'd report the owner too from the sheer volume of noise. Owners need to bring your dogs inside if they are barking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Is your other dog an Alsatian? If so I think I know where you live and man, your dogs go nuts every time anyone comes close to your house. If I lived closer to you I would have complained to the council or Gardai ages ago. I don't know how your neighbours have put up with it for so long!

From your posts here you seem like a reasonable person. You should consider your neighbours quality of life. Take your dogs in, at night at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I have a baby and have always had dogs in the house. First my collie boy, then my foster whippet, then my foster whippet and my MIL's terrier, then my foster whippet and my new collie pup.
    No issue with them being indoors at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

I'm a vegetarian, I have a baby and I have three dogs, including a large, shedding one. All three dogs live inside with us. In fact right now on feeding the baby in the living room with the dogs asleep around me. It's perfectly doable. The fact is I knew dogs would be messy before I got them. I knew they would be social animals who would want to be around their humans rather than mostly on their own outside. I knew there would be dog hair in the house. I knew it would be harder once the baby was born. But my dogs are family members and if I couldn't treat them as such I wouldn't have them. And if one of my neighbours had dogs that were disturbing my peace I wouldn't hesitate to report them, as I go out of my way to ensure my dogs don't bother anyone - it's my responsibility after all and I'm not about to inflict my choices on those around me. You really need to think now how best to address the situation, which I imagine would be to at the very least keep them inside at night.

Advertisement