Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

device for 3 year old

Options
  • 13-11-2014 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭

So my son turns 3 at Christmas and has been asking for a computer/phone/tab for himself. Obviously he doesn't know the difference but has been asking for a device anyway.

what type of device should I be looking at. Should I get a vtech type thing or should I be looking at a tablet for him? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

gufc21 wrote: »
    So my son turns 3 at Christmas and has been asking for a computer/phone/tab for himself. Obviously he doesn't know the difference but has been asking for a device anyway.

what type of device should I be looking at. Should I get a vtech type thing or should I be looking at a tablet for him? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

My three year old young fella is able to use full featured android tablet (obviously just to play games and stuff).

On a sidenote and at the risk of being told mind my own business, I would be more inclined to by a family tablet which the young lad can use rather than getting him his 'own' tablet. Again, apologies for sounding like a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭Guffy

mordeith wrote: »
    My three year old young fella is able to use full featured android tablet (obviously just to play games and stuff).

On a sidenote and at the risk of being told mind my own business, I would be more inclined to by a family tablet which the young lad can use rather than getting him his 'own' tablet. Again, apologies for sounding like a dick.

Ha I asked for advice why would I tell u to mind your business? In saying that not looking to get a family tablet. At least not looking to spend money on a high end one.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

gufc21 wrote: »
    Ha I asked for advice why would I tell u to mind your business? In saying that not looking to get a family tablet. At least not looking to spend money on a high end one.
    €50 will buy you a decent one. dx.com and geekbuying.com are my two usual Chinese/HK sites.

Random €40 tablet, but it only has 512MB RAM, so I'd avoid it. Get something with 1GB if you can, but 512MB should handle most stuff thrown at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

nabi would be a good tablet for 3 year old

• Registered Users Posts: 65,437 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mordeith wrote: »
    I would be more inclined to by a family tablet which the young lad can use rather than getting him his 'own' tablet.

Sound advice. We did the Vtech thing and the cheap Chinese tablet thing and they didn't work out

Bought a second hand Nexus 7 tablet (€90) before the summer and it is the best value for money gadget we've ever bought. All kids can play with it and when they're in bed, even the mrs uses it :) Much better for surfing / gaming than most smartphones costing several times that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

You can get lower end tablets for quite cheap now (less than €100)

Advertisement