Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wife's new business - advice needed

Options
  • 13-11-2014 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Hello,

As some background, I work full time but my wife has been at home minding the kids for the last few years.

She's recently done some courses and as the kids are getting older she's considering setting up her own business.

Basically - is there any help out there for her? It'd be a service industry business?

Was there something in the budget about encouraging this?

The other main question is around tax - can anyone recommend a book? What expenses can she claim in the business versus personal etc.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I would recommend a trip to your Local Enterprise Office they will be able answer a lot of the questions she will have. The amount of help available is going to depend on your personal situation and what exactly it is she plans on doing.

In terms of books etc there is a sticky at the top of the forum with a lot of recommendations: Information, Essential Links & Books which is well worth going through.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭writhen

Most LEOs run start your own business courses a couple of times a year. They are worth attending.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 scr6

I have to say the Start Your Own Business Courses are really helpful. Most of the Local Enterprise Offices offer them at various intervals throughout the year. On mine we went through taxation, all the legalities and basic accounting practices to make sure your idea is a viable business rather than a hobby! I know my local office is bringing out a new schedule of courses and classes in Feb so I'd imagine they are all the same. Well worth having a look online at what your local office are offering

Advertisement