Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Employers and NUIG

• 13-11-2014 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

is it true that employers tend to look poorly on graduates from Galway as it is better known for drunkeness rather than academia?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

is it true that employers tend to look poorly on graduates from Galway as it is better known for drunkeness rather than academia?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭galwayredgirl

Why? I like a drink but it has never interfered with my employability!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Do you think students in Cork and Dublin don't spend 90% of their time on the lash too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 rachelclarke

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Do you think students in Cork and Dublin don't spend 90% of their time on the lash too?

thats exactly what i thought but someone told me that about Galway and i wanted to find out how true it was! haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

You'll probably need to emigrate anyway so no one will care:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Yep.

The President of Ireland could never hold down a real job. Always on the lash.

And the Taoiseash, don't get me started on him.

As for the Attorney General - notorious pisshead.

And Martin Sheen, well say no more..........

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Let's be honest, lots of people end up in NUIG just because they didn't get the points for the course they wanted in TCD, UCD or UCC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Students drinking isnt unique to Galway. I'm sure most of the employers took part in such activities themselves and people calm down after college.
    Pugzilla wrote: »
    Let's be honest, lots of people end up in NUIG just because they didn't get the points for the course they wanted in TCD, UCD or UCC.

Maybe for medicine but I doubt it for nearly everyone else. Why would anyone want to live in Cork?

Students drinking isnt unique to Galway. I'm sure most of the employers took part in such activities themselves and people calm down after college.

Maybe for medicine but I doubt it for nearly everyone else. Why would anyone want to live in Cork?
    Points for most equivalent courses like science and arts are lower in NUIG than Cork and Dublin.

Well, no. A lot of people get the points and can't afford to go to a different university except their local one as the financial support is sub-poverty line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Points for most equivalent courses like science and arts are lower in NUIG than Cork and Dublin.

Well of course they are, people from an area with a university tend to go to that university. Dublin has quite a few people and i rarely meet a person from there. It is also very expensive to live in. I'm looking at post grad courses and Dublin was automatically out because I don't want to pay 1k a month for a studio apartment where my fridge and oven can't be used unless I put my bed on its side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Yes, From talking to some people in HR they assuming you have two candidates which did the same course in different universities the candidate not from NUIG would get picked first.

The universities tend to work on a class system. The most preferable are Trinity and UCD, in the middle are UL, DCU and NUIM, and the least preferable are UCC and NUIG.

I agree but wouldn't have included UCC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

Companies are generally a lot more sophisticated when it comes to hiring people (i.e. they don't hire based on where someone did their undergraduate degree).

A student coming top of their class in DIT with more industry-focused experience may well be hired ahead of someone with a more average degree from a more prestigious university like Trinity.

If everything else were equal (experience, grades, attitude, communication skills), they MAY consider origin of their primary degree, but it's a lot less common than people think.

I've seen some bias in hiring policies in some companies (when hiring for junior graduate/intern positions and one person was responsible for candidate selection). Then their personal bias came through (the recruiter went to UCC and tended to hire mostly UCC students).

GarIT wrote: »
    The universities tend to work on a class system. The most preferable are Trinity and UCD, in the middle are UL, DCU and NUIM, and the least preferable are UCC and NUIG.
    From what I've seen what you have as the middle would be the least preferable and vice versa. Depends on the job perhaps and what the graduate's university is known to be strong in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    From what I've seen what you have as the middle would be the least preferable and vice versa. Depends on the job perhaps and what the graduate's university is known to be strong in.

It definitely depends on the field, Trinity is very prestigious but it is known to be among the worst for computer science. UCD is miles ahead of anywhere else for business. UL is ahead of everywhere else for sports related courses. They all have their strengths.

I have found HR people in Dublin tend to have a preference for the Unis in the East. While the opposite is probably true in the west.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

GarIT wrote: »
    It definitely depends on the field, Trinity is very prestigious but it is known to be among the worst for computer science. UCD is miles ahead of anywhere else for business. UL is ahead of everywhere else for sports related courses. They all have their strengths.

I have found HR people in Dublin tend to have a preference for the Unis in the East. While the opposite is probably true in the west.
    Not so sure UL is ahead of everywhere else for sports related courses. DCU would be about the same in sports related courses.
    It totally depends on the sector you are looking at. I disagree that HR people tend to have a preference for the 3 Dublin Unis and Maynooth. Just don't think it happens

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Chuckieawrlaw

nah thats rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jdmkol

franglan wrote: »
    You'll probably need to emigrate anyway so no one will care:cool:

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

I am student in NUIG, between everyone I know 2 people applied for TCD and UCD, and one of those is from Dublin, the other was terribly upset she 'only' got 500 in her Leaving.
    A lot of people can not afford to go to Dublin, because they won't be living at home with mammy and daddy, they have other commitments (a lot of Connaught Rugby lads are here, a lot of my friends had to be in NUIG to stay with Connaught).
    A lot of people coming from the west of Ireland. Be it Donegal or Kerry, they prefer NUIG because it's relatively close by comparison.
    Galway is a brilliant city to live in and to go out in.
    NUIG is one of if not the best place in Ireland to study a Biomedical, Bioengineering or any 'bio' related degree in general, they tend to be first choice for places like Boston Scientific.
    The Business Information Systems course is highly regarded too in the industry.
    Points tend to be slightly lower than that of Dublin because of the amount of people in Dublin going to college, in Dublin.

I know a lot of people who had no intention of going to Dublin, I know people who have transferred to NUIG from Dublin.

I'm quite fond of the place itself.
    But if you are talking about people from Dublin who have put down NUIG lower on their CAO, then yes you are correct but that's a very small minority considering everyone who is in NUIG.

Depends on the course, typically the higher point courses have a large proportion of students that would have preferred Dublin or Cork.

• Advertisement
Advertisement