Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Colombian Football

• 13-11-2014 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭

I've been living in Bogota for the last three months and last night I attended my second game at El Campin- the second leg of the Copa Colombia final between Bogota's Santa Fe and the small city team of Tolima. Tolima had a two goal advantage going into this leg and Santa Fe failed to overcome it, despite winning 2-1 in an absolute cracker of a game. It is Tolima's first cup win and will be there first time competing in the Copa Sudamerica. I'm happy for them especially as I chose Millonarios over Santa Fe to be my Colombian club (Probably a poor decision as they've had an awful season.)

deportes-tolima-campeon-640x280.jpg

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows of any interesting books, articvles or doumentaries about Colombian football (Including the dodgy aspects off the field) available in English. There is lots available in Spanish of course but my level is still very very basic.

Comments

Interested to know what the atmosphere was like?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

There was a great atmosphere, despite there being some empty seats. Also I've often heard that fans can turn quite violent in Colombia but at no point did I feel unsafe. There were quite a few coins thrown at Tolima players taking corners however and their physio also had a lot of items thrown at him after a blatant display of time-wasting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

You might already have seen the 30 for 30 movie about the national team.

<mod snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

All I know is that it's a dreadful league to bet on and I recognise each team you mentioned, as they continually lose of draw when you bet on them. Same with the Mexican league. Shteer clear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Were the tickets dear or cheap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Slightly OT, but how in the name of jaysus did you end up in Colombia?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Hes Tony Montana.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Mars Bar wrote: »

He obviously saw all the hotties at the world cup and decided to go there. Kinda like what I was planning until I realised how far Colombia was from my mammy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Duffy post some pictures of Colombian ladies already! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Training locals in the jungle probably..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Training locals in the jungle probably..

FARC that!

I was teaching English in Korea when a group of us decided to go to the World Cup. I then decided that afterwards I'd teach in a South American country for a while and although I originally planned on going to Chile, I ended up following a friend to Colombia.

kksaints wrote: »
    Were the tickets dear or cheap?

45'000 Pesos for the cheapest tickets which is about 15 Euro. That's not particularly cheap by Colombian standards however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I was teaching English in Korea when a group of us decided to go to the World Cup. I then decided that afterwards I'd teach in a South American country for a while and although I originally planned on going to Chile, I ended up following a friend to Colombia.

A good a reason as any!

Advertisement