Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

image permissions

Options
  • 13-11-2014 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place but does anyone know what the crack is with using images from google in an android app? Do i need to obtain permission??

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

phishcakes wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right place but does anyone know what the crack is with using images from google in an android app? Do i need to obtain permission??

Cheers!

Depends on the image, but best to assume you can't use.
    Narrow down search to images under Creative Commons for commercial use.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭phishcakes

Depends on the image, but best to assume you can't use.
    Narrow down search to images under Creative Commons for commercial use.

Thats exactly what i did but still unsure if i can use them, the images are of a well known pop band

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Thats exactly what i did but still unsure if i can use them, the images are of a well known pop band
    sounds even less likely..

Haven't Getty released images for use with appropriate recognition, might be worth checking there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

You also pay Getty to use them. Unlikely that you can use them unless you took them and even then you need to know if they have protected their image rights, if they are well known then you can assume that they have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Stock images can be bought very cheaply these days. Just buy some on Fotolia or Envato. Or better still, commission some on snap wire.

• Advertisement

smash wrote: »
    Stock images can be bought very cheaply these days. Just buy some on Fotolia or Envato. Or better still, commission some on snap wire.

Most stock images of bands and/or products are available for editorial use only. Can't buy an image of One Direction and use it to promote an app.

pedronomix wrote: »
    You also pay Getty to use them. Unlikely that you can use them unless you took them and even then you need to know if they have protected their image rights, if they are well known then you can assume that they have!

Some usage of the Getty images is free providing you recognise them as the source..
    http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/embed#

_Brian wrote: »
    Some usage of the Getty images is free providing you recognise them as the source..
    http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/embed#

Not for embedding in apps though.

Not for embedding in apps though.
    Yea.. just seen that.
    Good for blog though

_Brian wrote: »
    Good for blog though

It's great. Huge selection of images.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭phishcakes

Even if the images are for a free wallpapers app and im not saying that i own the pictures, do i still need permission?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Even if the images are for a free wallpapers app and im not saying that i own the pictures, do i still need permission?

It depends on who owns the copyright of the image.

Google 'Royalty free images'. Images on those sites will be free to use but read each sites Terms of Use and decide whether an App - free or paid-for - is acceptable.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Basically 99% of images out there are copyright owned and you cant use them without permission. Some have other terms where you must give acknowledgement in the use as to who owns them - like include a link to their site or say images owned by 'xyz'.

Royalty free images are the only real option but in some case they also have terms and conditions - particularly around the number or uses, if they can be used for commercial use or not.

In your case you said images from Google, each image that appears in a search comes form a website somewhere so you would have to go check each image and see who owned it and could you use it. Just because you dont own the image or say you do, some one does own them and that person has the copyright on their use.

Your best option is to look at royalty free images but read the Ts & C's carefully. If you use copyright images you can get a nice slap on the wrist and a fine if found out. A lot of the big stock image sites have clamped down on it a lot over the last few years and have no problem chasing people for money for using copyrighted images whether its 1 image or 50.

Advertisement