Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

computing/programming careers

Options
  • 13-11-2014 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Hi, I currently work in retail and have no qualifications other than my Leaving cert (and repeat lc). I like my job in retail but only work part time and someday would like to progress to supervisor or managerial level.

But my dad wants me to do a computing/programming course as he says (and is right) that all the money is in IT nowadays. I want to work for the love of my job and not for the money but he doesn't see it that way.

Do you think i should go and do a computing course or continue until I find full time work? I just can't see myself sitting in a classroom taking notes and dong exams as I hated school and studying and cannot see myself going through a year of a plc course.

What advice would you guys have and have you been in this situation ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

But my dad wants me to do

Don't do something because your dad wants you to. Do something you're interested in. There are loads of free online courses these days where you could get a taste for computer science, for example: https://www.edx.org/course/harvardx/harvardx-cs50x-introduction-computer-1022#.VGUNRhbtXWc

Give it a go without committing to anything, if you enjoy it then consider doing a course, and if you don't enjoy it then DO NOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Jumping into a career just because of the money is a guaranteed path to misery.

As someone who has worked in IT for many years, I know it takes a certain type of person, with a certain type of passion to succeed in IT. I have also seen many people in IT who jumped for the reasons you suggest, and they get stuck in relatively low-level jobs with no prospect of progression.

And a PLC course, as good as they are, would not be of much use to you in the IT world, you really would need a bachelor's degree to get the decent money. A masters and industry certificates are becoming the norm these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Agree with the others.

Your father is from a different generation, probably from a time when you took whatever job would pay the most money and you were grateful for it. Time have changed.

You have to live the life you want. You only get one and it'll be over before you know it...

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ibrahimovic

Hi, I currently work in retail and have no qualifications other than my Leaving cert (and repeat lc). I like my job in retail but only work part time and someday would like to progress to supervisor or managerial level.

But my dad wants me to do a computing/programming course as he says (and is right) that all the money is in IT nowadays. I want to work for the love of my job and not for the money but he doesn't see it that way.

Do you think i should go and do a computing course or continue until I find full time work? I just can't see myself sitting in a classroom taking notes and dong exams as I hated school and studying and cannot see myself going through a year of a plc course.

I done a degree in computer science mainly because i was pushed into it because i didn't know what else to do, i came out of it with a 2.1 but honestly hated it, found it so frustrating and didn't actually learn much. i'm now left with a useless degree because i'm not actually able to code because i never had any interest in it. Plus the money is only good if you are a particularly good coder, a lot of people i graduated with who were miles better than me are just above minimum wage or haven't got a job yet.

My advise is do a basic online coding course and see if you enjoy it, if you do then give it some thought, but do not be pushed into it, you'll end up miserable like me. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

You're best off doing an ECDL part-time just to get a formal qualification that would look good if you wanted to progress into a management role. It also shows you have some drive.
    if you want to work in retail you should look in to some evening courses in management, or even bookkeeping could come in handy for smaller retailers. Don't rush into software development if you don't have any interest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

For people like your dad, I try to explain it like this: Imagine someone going for a position as an apprentice in the construction industry and one of the first questions the interviewer asks is "Can you show me a couple of houses you've built?" and if the young person has not built a couple of houses they don't get the training position!

That is how hard it is to get your first job in IT, a degree is not enough, you have to really be into IT and have done lots of bits and bobs before you event got to the point you are seeking a job.

So if you are not really into IT already, then a degree is not going to get you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

tenifan wrote: »
    You're best off doing an ECDL part-time just to get a formal qualification that would look good if you wanted to progress into a management role. It also shows you have some drive.
    if you want to work in retail you should look in to some evening courses in management, or even bookkeeping could come in handy for smaller retailers. Don't rush into software development if you don't have any interest.

Probably wouldn't look at an ECDL course. Take a look at the comptia website and see if that's something you might be interested in.

http://www.comptia.org/

Programming is a large area, it can also be difficult and bloody boring. Personal opinion of course.

I would look into the different programming languages and see what suits you. Python might be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, are you serious about retail? What courses have you done? Have you tried to get full-time work? You can actually make reasonable money in retail management if you're prepared to work hard.

I'm with the others in terms of not getting into IT (or anything else) just for the money or 'cos your dad says.

But you do need to decide what you do want to do, and take active steps to make that happen. Just hoping to get into management "some day" means that it probably won't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Tell your dad to go and study programming.

Stick with retail if you enjoy it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

What would you like to do?
    I would go do a part time degree in an area that interests you.
    There is no point doing a job that does not interest you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

As someone who works in the industry, I would advise you to avoid IT, software in particular, unless you have a genuine passion for it. If you start writing code for the money alone, you will develop a hatred for the industry pretty quickly, write terrible code and make life miserable for your colleagues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Tell your dad you're going to become a professional footballer or a concert pianist because there's more money in it than IT. Most proper IT roles require years of experience and real aptitude and hard work that few people are willing to put in unless they are passionate about it and have genuine ability. Plus many IT jobs are not that well paid in Ireland.

Tell your dad you're going to become a professional footballer or a concert pianist because there's more money in it than IT. Most proper IT roles require years of experience and real aptitude and hard work that few people are willing to put in unless they are passionate about it and have genuine ability. Plus many IT jobs are not that well paid in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

OP, i hated school. The taught of going in everyday, studying subjects i hated, sitting in a class where most more immature prats :( hated it.
    I did my leaving cert this summer and came out with 245 Points and i'm currently doing a computing degree in NCI. I love it, i no longer dread getting up in the morning, i hop out of bed get ready and i am out the door. The lads a great crack, and after struggling at the start i pick up code with ease now, I even find myself spending hours on academy.
    My plan is to get experience for a couple of years and go and start a software company after that.

IMO only go for it, if Programming is something your passionate about. Its your life not your dads.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Doing any career purely for money/employment opportunities will leave you miserable. You're 100 times better picking a career that you have an interest in. You'll perform better at a job that you like simple as. Have a look at the different courses that you have an interest in and see what you can do from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

colmulhall wrote: »
    Doing any career purely for money/employment opportunities will leave you miserable. You're 100 times better picking a career that you have an interest in. You'll perform better at a job that you like simple as. Have a look at the different courses that you have an interest in and see what you can do from there.

Look at how many smart intelligent arts graduates who did something they loved are now unemployed,on postgrads in teaching/IT/Business or in dead end jobs.

OP with regards your father pushing you into IT, there's plenty of people who followed there parents direction and entered professions teaching,guards or medicine and living good lives and far from miserable.

Having a good steady job gives you the opportunity to do thing you have an interest in with disposable income in your spare time. The majority work for the joy of the paypacket then the joy of the job

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

doc11 wrote: »
    Look at how many smart intelligent arts graduates who did something they loved are now unemployed,on postgrads in teaching/IT/Business or in dead end jobs.

OP with regards your father pushing you into IT, there's plenty of people who followed there parents direction and entered professions teaching,guards or medicine and living good lives and far from miserable.

Having a good steady job gives you the opportunity to do thing you have an interest in with disposable income in your spare time. The majority work for the joy of the paypacket then the joy of the job

I agree that money it all boils down to money in the end, but there's no point picking a career for absolutely no other reason than money. At least pick a steady career that you have some interest in.

Advertisement