Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know if insurance companies will be open on Fri 2nd Jan?

Options
  • 13-11-2014 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

Bit of an odd question, but does anyone know if the insurance companies will be open on Fri 2nd Jan? Reason is my car insurance is due for renewal on the 4th Jan, but I will be in Australia from the 4th Dec to the 1st Jan, so the 2nd is the only chance I will have. Unfortunately due to the type of insurance I need (class 2 for work) I have to do it over the phone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Call centres tend to give staff the legal minimum holidays which means you should be ok as Jan 2 will not be a public holiday but why are you asking here when we don't even know which company you're renewing with? Did it occur to you to phone and ask them?
    mel.b wrote: »
    Unfortunately due to the type of insurance I need (class 2 for work) I have to do it over the phone.

Did you mean to say that you have to do it in person? Otherwise your post really makes no sense as you can renew over the phone between Christmas and the New Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭Corvo

Working in the industry myself and I know most are open, though I would actually check with your current company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

coylemj wrote: »
    Call centres tend to give staff the legal minimum holidays which means you should be ok as Jan 2 will not be a public holiday but why are you asking here when we don't even know which company you're renewing with? Did it occur to you to phone and ask them?

I don't know which company I will be renewing it with - I always call around to the companies and brokers to get the best price each year. I'm hardly going to call them now to find out if they all will be open.
    coylemj wrote: »
    And if you have to do it over the phone, what difference does it make what country you'll be in on Jan 2nd?

Did you mean to say that you have to do it in person? Otherwise your post really makes no sense.

I don't have to do it in person, but I don't want to be calling Ireland from Australia, racking up a massive phone bill getting quotes which is why I have to wait until I am back in the country on the 2nd Jan to do it.

I don't have to do it in person, but I don't want to be calling Ireland from Australia, racking up a massive phone bill getting quotes which is why I have to wait until I am back in the country on the 2nd Jan to do it.

You are probably in a bit of a dilemma then to be honest and may have to settle on what you receive from the current company.

If you are with a broker that you have been with for sometime, I'm sure they would have no problem communicating via email. Settle the terms and then make a quick call to pay for it via card etc.

Your current situation does not make it easy to gain extensive quotations from a number of brokers and insurers (apart from the online insurers willing to quote there and then)

Don't insurers normally quote 'there and then'? - brokers and other companies always have in the past when I ring up

• Advertisement

Don't insurers normally quote 'there and then'? - brokers and other companies always have in the past when I ring up

Sorry I meant an online quote system where no call is necessary - i.e. Liberty, Axa, Insuremyvan

Corvo wrote: »
    Sorry I meant an online quote system where no call is necessary - i.e. Liberty, Axa, Insuremyvan

Online quote is no good for me - I have to call :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Skype and a half-decent headset is what you need, stuff a few Australian dollars into your Skype a/c and you can talk all day to Ireland.

474.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Hi OP!

Am not really sure I understand the dilemma....maybe reading am missing something. If its that urgent/tight, surely you could look into getting quotes and arrange before you go?

You can arrange so that cover automatically starts on the 2nd (or which ever date).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Hi OP!

Am not really sure I understand the dilemma....maybe reading am missing something. If its that urgent/tight, surely you could look into getting quotes and arrange before you go?

You can arrange so that cover automatically starts on the 2nd (or which ever date).

Most insurers won't provide a cover more than 30 days before the end of the current policy.

I have class 2 policy with 123.ie nononsense which I paid for and aranged online OP:confused:
    Not sure why you can't do the same but when it comes to insurance policies you never know.

As someone mentioned Skype is your friend, you don't actually need a headset as you can use it on your personal phone easily.

• Advertisement
Advertisement