Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Misandry

• 13-11-2014 9:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Is misandry (the hatred or dislike of men or boys) tolerated to a greater degree in society than misogyny (the hatred or dislike of women or girls) is?

I believe it is, though it is certainly less prevalent than misogyny.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I just call it for what it is, gobsh¡tes being gobsh¡tes. To give them a label either way whatever their agenda is to validate their bullsh¡t in some way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

pueblo wrote: »
    Is misandry (the hatred or dislike of men or boys) tolerated to a greater degree in society than misogyny (the hatred or dislike of women or girls) is?

I believe it is, though it is certainly less prevalent than misogyny.
    I'm a firm believer that misandrists and misogynists are way less prevalent than people make it out to be. Just because someone has sexist views doesn't make them misogynistic or misandrous. In fact, it's really hard to be either. You'd literally have to mistrut all women or men to be either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

ah jaysus, this type of thread again...

you'd swear it's a battle of the sexes on the Internet these days. and it's only on the internet, i never discuss this type of stuff in real life with friends or colleagues

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'm slowly becoming a misanthropist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Do you have one of those creepy old styley wooden dummies? Jaysus those things are unpleasant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I'm slowly becoming a fire engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

not too hard these days :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

I just call it for what it is, gobsh¡tes being gobsh¡tes. To give them a label either way whatever their agenda is to validate their bullsh¡t in some way.

This post displays the worst kind of gobsh1teaphobia imaginable.

Shame on you!

Pushpull wrote: »
    Does anyone actually know anyone that hates or dislikes all men or all women? I certainly don't, not that I'm aware of anyway.

I had a dog once that hated everyone. Lived for 18 long years....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Can we all not just hate everyone equally, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Yes, but some assholes will always be more equal than others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Since the kids started watching peppa pig, I've noticed how much slagging daddy pig gets.. It's basically every episode.. Daddy will do something stupid, Mammy pig will go, "oh daddy pig, here I'll fix it" and they all have a little laugh about it.

My wife thought I was nuts till I pointed it out to her..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

If I'm a jerk to some other guy, people call me a jerk.
    If I'm a jerk to some other woman, people call me a misogynist.

If I tell a guy he sucks at something, people call me a jerk.
    If I tell a girl she sucks at something, people call me sexist.

I think it's more our culture than me being a misogynist or sexist.

“... but the truth is that I dislike most men as much as I dislike women. If anything, I am an equal opportunity misanthropist.”
    ― Andrew Davidson, The Gargoyle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Since the kids started watching peppa pig, I've noticed how much slagging daddy pig gets.. It's basically every episode.. Daddy will do something stupid, Mammy pig will go, "oh daddy pig, here I'll fix it" and they all have a little laugh about it.

I feel like that's a very common pattern in lots of TV shows these days.

Does anyone actually know anyone that hates or dislikes all men or all women? I certainly don't, not that I'm aware of anyway.

My brothers mother in law thinks all men are idiots.. No problem letting us know either. She's happily married with two sons! Treats them and all men like the butt of an ongoing joke..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

That's how they get you!

When you have your back turned, when you least expect it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

At least there is no misandry displayed :rolleyes:

Re-framing gender and sexual equality in Finnish online discussion on immigration

Dr. Lähdesmäki Tuuli, (Visiting Scholar from the University of Jyvaskyla, Finland)

Abstract:
    In recent decades, European societies have faced the rise of extreme right-wing activity, populist movements, and anti-immigrant or 'culturally racist' political parties. In Finland as elsewhere in Europe, the populist discussions on multiculturalism and immigration have become harder as the debates have intensified, particularly in the social media. In these debates, anti-immigration-minded, xenophobic, Islamophobic, heteronormative, homophobic, and misogynist opinions commonly mingle. The populist discourses on gender and sexuality include, however, contradictory elements. On the one hand, the populist discourses are often deeply conservative in fostering the idea of nuclear family, traditional gender roles, and hierarchical gender binarity. On the other hand, gender equality and gay rights can be explicitly supported when the values promoted in the populist discourses are facing 'bigger threats': immigration and Islam. In the paper, the populist articulations of the gender and sexual equality are investigated by focusing on the contradictions in the online debates on gender, sexuality, and immigration. How are sexual and gender equality re-framed in nationalist anti-immigration-minded online debates, and how are the notions of sexuality and gender fixed in order to object immigration? The investigation focuses on an article on Muslim homosexuals, published in the leading Finnish newspaper Helsingin Sanomat in March 2013, and the discussion that followed in blogs and online discussion fora. The paper indicates how the subjects of sexual and gender equality are produced, and illustrates the ability of populist rhetoric to adopt topics, agendas, and ideologies from other discourses and re-frame them for promoting its political aims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

Have noticed this too....google peppa pig & misandry, it seems to be a thing..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

this thread has a slight popcorn promise :)

• Advertisement

Hitchens wrote: »

About 3 in ten chance I'd say.

But then when it is popcorn time they always lock them:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Is kicking someone in the balls misandry?

Hitchens wrote: »

Not enough chips on shoulders for things to get heated..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I must admit, my enjoyment of Peppa Pig has always been ruined by its inherent misandry. :(

If it was chips we were talking about then wouldn't it be crispandry ?

No? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

RayM wrote: »
    I must admit, my enjoyment of Peppa Pig has always been ruined by its inherent misandry. :(

My three year old loves Peppa Pig.

I, on the other hand, think Mummy Pig is a passive-aggressive beeyatch.

I've two sky boxes full of it, and a baby who's words are, moma, Dada, Nana, gaga, and peppa!

I'm stuck with it for the foreseeable future.. Though in a peppa v ben & holly battle royale, peppa wins hands down for funnies..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I've two sky boxes full of it, and a baby who's words are, moma, Dada, Nana, gaga, and peppa!

I'm stuck with it for the foreseeable future.. Though in a peppa v ben & holly battle royale, peppa wins hands down for funnies..

just be grateful it's not ****ing Barney

Wow! I just looked up peppa pig misandry and the amount of bile on mumsnet about how only misogyny exists is mind-blowing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

It's pretty clear that Peppa Pig needs to be stopped before it does any more damage. And as for those adverts where men are portrayed as bumbling fools... Don't get me started.

I must say, as a white, straight male, it is a testament to our strength and indefatigable resilience that we have overcome centuries of misandry, heterophobia and anti-white racism, to become the most dominant group in almost every facet of public life. I don't know how we did it, I really don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Harold Finchs Machine

ah jaysus, this type of thread again...

you'd swear it's a battle of the sexes on the Internet these days. and it's only on the internet, i never discuss this type of stuff in real life with friends or colleagues

Only on Boards.

Only on Boards.

After hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I just hope the mods will be taking any reports of blatant misandry as seriously as they will be for any reports of mysogyny, cus in the end of the day it's all about equality isn't ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

VinLieger wrote: »
    I just hope the mods will be taking any reports of blatant misandry as seriously as they will be for any reports of mysogyny, cus in the end of the day it's all about equality isn't ?
    :D

It's pretty clear that Peppa Pig needs to be stopped before it does any more damage. And as for those adverts where men are portrayed as bumbling fools... Don't get me started.

I must say, as a white, straight male, it is a testament to our strength and indefatigable resilience that we have overcome centuries of misandry, heterophobia and anti-white racism, to become the most dominant group in almost every facet of public life. I don't know how we did it, I really don't.
    Oh my god. You do realise how awful that sounds? You can't guarantee that every single male poster here complaining about misandry is white. There is a reason #NotYourShield happened with GamerGate. It's because people like you assume that the only people who could speak out while being in the "dominant" position are white or cis or straight or whatever! Give it a rest!

Again, I don't think misogyny or misandry are anywhere near as prevalent as some posters on here want to believe but they both exist!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

It always puts my teeth on edge in ads. It seems to be acceptable to jeer and scorn at men, where if the same implication was made of women there would be cries of "Sexist!".
    Peppa Pig is an obvious example but there are many more if you look.
    Even in soap operas, it seems to be automatic that women occupy the moral high ground.
    Real life aint like that. Humans are all human, and all are entitled to dignity regardless of gender, and nobody has a monopoly of pious righteousness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeC0O9akIVU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Well, daddy pig is a bit of an expert at those things.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

catallus wrote: »
    If it was chips we were talking about then wouldn't it be crispandry ?

No? :(

When the chips are down catallus, the cream always rises to the top!

Fcuking legend! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Is kicking someone in the balls misandry?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Sexism against women in the media has been replaced by sexism against men.

It is very prevalent in the advertising industry in particular. Every second ad these days portrays men as socially delinquent idiots who can barely walk and talk at the same time.

Ditto for most sitcoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

Peppa Pig is an obvious example but there are many more if you look. 

It's a kids cartoon, lads. No need to over analyse it. In one recent episode they were trying to get Daddy Pig to exercise and not eat so much junk food. Is that "fat shaming"?

It's a kids cartoon, lads. No need to over analyse it. In one recent episode they were trying to get Daddy Pig to exercise and not eat so much junk food. Is that "fat shaming"?
    You do know how suggestable kids are, right? Like the reason kids cartoons have things like exercising and not eating junk food is to show them how to live a healthy life. There are other messages like being nice and sharing and all but when there is something like that it gives kids the idea it's alright to treat your Dad like crap, or that all Daddies (and therefore all men) are useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    I'm a firm believer that misandrists and misogynists are way less prevalent than people make it out to be.

I agree. The word misogyny in particular is thrown about far too often and its often unwarranted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Yeah, I won't give any examples but boards is riddled with misandry, absolutely riddled. Hmm...or maybe that's just my perception...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    You do know how suggestable kids are, right? Like the reason kids cartoons have things like exercising and not eating junk food is to show them how to live a healthy life. There are other messages like being nice and sharing and all but when there is something like that it gives kids the idea it's alright to treat your Dad like crap, or that all Daddies (and therefore all men) are useless.

You know how cynical children are, right?

That's why any of us who grew up on cartoons from 20 years ago still don't think it's a good idea to go dropping anvils on people's heads, etc. Children learn more from the people around them than they ever will from television or video games, and they don't stay children forever either.

Using Peppa Pig as an example of how children will turn into mini-misandrists is just about as daft as people suggesting that Barney makes young boys turn gay when they're older!

The ace up your sleeve - Diet Coke advert from 20 years ago, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

I love that "The Strawman Argument" liked this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sexism against women in the media has been replaced by sexism against men.

It is very prevalent in the advertising industry in particular. Every second ad these days portrays men as socially delinquent idiots who can barely walk and talk at the same time.

Ditto for most sitcoms.
    Yep IR, there is some of that out there alright and you know how I process it? I don't. I don't care. Not a single fcuk do I give. I certainly don't fall into a whinge fest, unless something directly impacts my life in a material way because of the location of my nads* and if and when that does happen, I don't whinge, I don't label it to "own it", nor buy into any of that weak tea hippie nonsense nor appeal to some external authoritaaay to protect my special snowflake sensibilities, I just fcuking deal with it, or ignore it for the guff it is. Mostly the latter. Some Guardian reading cosseted handwringer who thinks himself an artist writes men as daft in a sitcom or an ad for bogroll or whatever? Who gives a flying fcuk? Really guys. To give a fcuk should be beneath you.

I put it in a wider context too. Sure, there are many of us, men and women alike reading this have their own shíte to deal with in their lives. Some of it objectively minimal, while some are dealing with some real life heavy duty crap. However, few of us will be going to bed hungry and cold and sick, few of us will be counting the days waiting for the grave. Some medja gobshíte crapping out BS for the mob kinda comes right down the line of crap we should care about. Not when a large chunk of our fellow humans on this planet go to bed hungry, sick, or dying tonight and for many nights, so a "sexist" sitcom, or some extremist twat on the interwebs is hardly worth getting too bloody wound up over.

TL;DR? When the fcuk did we get so bloody sensitive, precious and condescending in equal parts? Let's all just endeavour to grow a pair, whether that be ovaries or testes and just hang out with people, not gender, nor some made up labels of bullshít and chill the fcuk out and look at the actual real life guff that fecks us over.

*If I was going through a nasty divorce or I had an issue with access to kids that I don't have, then I'd come out angry and fighting, every step of the way. And I'd fight dirty if I had to. Have in the past on other matters.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

White doesn't really come into it in this country. I honestly don't get why people seem to think the whites have it better in this country for being white. Ireland isn't race-fuelled unlike America or even Britain really.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

TheZohan wrote: »
    Yeah, I won't give any examples but boards is riddled with misandry, absolutely riddled. Hmm...or maybe that's just my perception...

The OP didn't say Boards was riddled with it and not give examples. They asked if it was more acceptable, which is a fair question whether you think it's a big deal or not, that can be answered with either a yes or a no.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement