Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2015 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Wholeheartedly

Oh! I have a mad thing for ice pops and for the first time in my life I have a sweet tooth! So strange! Nothing about me is normal these days, I feel like an alien has taken me over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Drdoc wrote: »
    Hi ladies
    Glad to hear all the 12 week scans are going well. I also had mine during the week and all looked good thankfully.

Has anyone else (particularly those who are on their second plus pregnancy) had a bump explosion? I can't believe I'm in maternity clothes already and looking like I ate far too much over Christmas!!

Sorry to hear the nausea and vomiting is still so bad for some of you. Mine has definitely eased off, although not gone, I'm now eating proper amounts, though often still picky and wanting junk food rather than good food! Hope I feel like some fruit/veg soon!

Ive no proper bump yet at all and up until the scan i was starting to wonder if there was actually anything in there. With my last pregnancy i was starting to wear the belly belt at this stage even though i was really showing until 20 plus weeks. I definitely think the vomiting and nausea this time has delayed the arrival of a bump. Having said that i'm fully expecting to wake up one morning soon and have nothing fit!

On a separate note, i'm back to work on Monday and dreading it :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭greenorchard

Sounds very similar to me, Wholeheartedly. It's impossible for me to eat well at the moment with so many food aversions & eating is a chore a lot of the time. I was really proud of myself when I managed some broccoli with my plain pasta last night!

Back to work Monday too, absolutely dreading it. The next couple of months are the busiest so it's gonna be hectic, was really hoping I'd be better by the time I went back. I may cry on Monday morning lol

• Registered Users Posts: 32 WeatherRocks

Hi All!
    I am new to this forum and due 26th July with my first baby :)

I have been at college in the UK for the past year and I'm moving home in March now that I am pregnant.
    I have booked my first appointment with Holles Street mid-Jan and they sent me a letter saying I need to bring a p60 or rent agreement etc. as proof to get free maternity care.
    Unfortunately I have none of these because I have been in the UK.
    I called them and advised my situation but they were unhelpful.
    I really don't think I should have to pay for maternity care since I have lived and paid taxes in Ireland until 1 year ago!

I was wondering if anyone has had their first antenatal appointment with Holles Street yet? Just want to know if they asked for any of these forms or if its as strict as the letter makes out?
    Any help is really appreciated!
    Hope you are all feeling better, I feel guilty my morning sickness doesnt sound half as bad as you guys but the fatigue is definitely killing me!

I have my first antenatal appointment with the Holles Street midwifes this morning so might have more information for you after that!

I was wondering if anyone has had their first antenatal appointment with Holles Street yet? Just want to know if they asked for any of these forms or if its as strict as the letter makes out?
    Any help is really appreciated!
    Hope you are all feeling better, I feel guilty my morning sickness doesnt sound half as bad as you guys but the fatigue is definitely killing me!

Welcome WeatherRocks + congratulations. That's my original due date too, but at the scan they put me forward a few days. But sure we will see what happens at the other end.

I don't really know much about all the free healthcare situation, but I do have a friend who was working in the UK and after just less than a year moved home as she was expecting, so if you can't find out anything else, I can ask her what happened for her. I feel sure she got free care. But she may still have had post going to her parents house, so maybe that made a difference? I didn't even register that part of the letter really, and when they asked how long have you lived in Ireland 'I was like eh.. 25 years!' not sure whether 'My whole life!' would have been okay to write down. ;) Maybe just don't mention it and pretend like it was a long holiday! ;) I am sure sure you will get free care!

Don't feel guilty about not being sick, feel so so lucky!!! I am like a walking list of pregnancy symptoms! It's actually laughable. I probably should have guessed, the first time I took the pill I went back to the doctor after two months in bits and he actually said 'wow, you have every side effect' :(

I will post later if I think there is anything of interest during my first appointment. I am actually a little excited, even though there is no scan or anything. Just want to hear all is well and normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Ugh, morning sickness still rearing its ugly head at nearly 15 weeks. Woke with a horrible headache, got baby ready and packed off for her day and then took some paracetamol. 15 minutes later vomited it back up but oddly enough throwing up seemed to ease the headache.

Thanks Wholeheartedly for the reply!
    I hope the appointment went well! It seems weird to me not getting any info until 12 weeks so hopefully you feel more informed. Im really looking forward to mine as well.
    Im lucky I do still have post going to my parents address so maybe that will do! Fingers crossed they just dont ask for anything and the irish accent will be enough :)
    Any info on what they asked for would be really helpful!!

On another note, Ive read that the ultrasound for Downs syndrome should be done between 11-14 weeks, but my first scan isnt until 21 weeks. Anyone know if this is the norm or is the test done differently now?

haha Wholeheartedly I think I've had every pregnancy symptom going as well, luckily I never actually got sick but I was feeling nauseous all day long! Thankfully that seems to have passed and now I am just extremely bloated, my OH thinks its a bump but im not so sure!

The appointment went well. Nothing too exciting really. Took bloods, but I give blood regularly so no worries there. Blood pressure. Went through my forms, family history, diet, healthy eating, the importance of exercise and building up my energy and stamina to help with having a natural birth. Not much new information. Lovely midwife. Nearly threw up in the office :( probably not the first.

Didn't ask any new questions at all, so don't worry about that. So although I never actually provided "proof" of living in Ireland, the fact I am Irish and said I have lived here all my life was clearly enough. Once you are at your appointment, the midwife is only interested in you & baby.

Best part by a long shot was hearing a good strong healthy heartbeat. Not back to midwife until last week in March. Will have scan and one doctors appointment during that time.

No idea about the scans/tests for other problems. But perhaps if you particularly ask or if you are at an age of that risk they do? The midwife was so nice and said to call if I had any questions. I am sure they will be the same for you.

I have a little mini bump and rounding of my tummy in the morning, but am like a bloated pot belly by the evening! :/

Ok great, hopefully there will be no questions asked. Ill bring something with my Irish address on it just in case!
    Great that you heard a strong heart beat! Nice to know everything is going along smoothly

Yeah I might just ask about the other tests, im not too worried about it but just thought that everyone was tested.

Thanks for all the info! Hope you are feeling better. I will let you know how I get on at the appointment !

• Advertisement

Congrats WeatherRocks. I'm going to the Coombe but I wasn't asked for any proof of address at my 12 week appointment either, even though the letter said I needed to bring a utility bill showing my address. So hopefully you'll be fine.

Im still really nauseous but I've only vomited once since yesterday morning which is an improvement. Not gonna count my chickens yet though cos it's happened before that I've had a couple of not so bad days but then I got worse again, so we'll see!

Greenorchard, I hope the sickness is on the decline for you. I am actually so so so so so so excited at the thought of not being nauseous for about 20 hours out of 24 hours a day. Mine hasn't improved but I am handling it a little better, I think.

Got my big scan booked for the 18th of March. Feels like a lifetime away! But looking forward to it already. Crazy to think we will have big tummies by then! I ordered some maternity vests/tops from new look yesterday, just because a friend had shown me, on sale + free delivery, some of them were about 3/4 Euro and 100 % cotton so might as well. Three months in now and midwife kept assuring me all was well so feel okay about it.

Greenorchard, I hope the sickness is on the decline for you. I am actually so so so so so so excited at the thought of not being nauseous for about 20 hours out of 24 hours a day. Mine hasn't improved but I am handling it a little better, I think.

I was right not to get my hopes up, was back to bring very sick yesterday, was vomiting in the toilets in work quite a few times. Hopefully we don't have too much longer of it, we won't know ourselves when it lifts. At least we're not only at week 6 or 7 & still facing it for the long haul, that was a really depressing time!

Must have a look at that New Look sale, haven't bought any maternity clothes yet. Can definitely feel my tummy is starting to expand, had to unbutton my trousers last night after eating!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jodyk

Hi ladies, sorry to hear everyone still feeling so sicky :-( Luckily my nausea left at about 11 weeks but my God the tiredness hasn't left :-( It doesn't help that I'm an accountant and this is my busiest time of year, so I'm working savage hours, so am not sure if that's the tiredness or is it cos of baba too :-)

Have my booking in appt with the midwife on Monday and then Tuesday am back with consultant for the nuchal scan & blood test. WeatherRocks - that nuchal scan & blood test I'm getting is for Down's but my consultant just does them with every patient - I didn't specifically ask for it. But she did say it had to be done before 14 weeks (I'll be 13+3 on Tuesday when she does it) so maybe you should ask about it when you go in, cos if they don't scan you til 20 weeks, you'll miss out on it as far as I know.

We got a Doppler last week and it's been very reassuring to hear the heartbeat at home - it's been 4 weeks since our first scan and that is a very long wait for this first timer !!! :-D

Glad to hear your nausea has lifted jodyk.

Has anyone booked or been to the early pregnancy class in the Donore Centre organised by the Coombe? I've booked in for the antenatal physio classes & the Saturday full day antenatal class & they've asked if I'd like to also go to an early pregnancy class next month. Anyone know anything about this class & if it's beneficial?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

Im fourteen weeks now and have been vomiting everyday for about 6 weeks now. I get sick about once or twice a day with nausea lasting for hours in between. It happens from 5pm onwards throughout the night everyday. I had a day or two last week where I was vomit free and I really thought that it was the end of the sickness but it seems to have got worse. Its actually getting me a bit down now.

I have a toddler and I think I only got sick about 3 times in the whole pregnancy with her.

I also had bleeding two weeks ago and was advised to go to a and e. Everything seemed fine in my scan but they gave me antibiotics but I keep puking them up!

Do you think its common for the sickness to go on in the second trimester? I was banking on it ending quickly this week!

Saralee4, I'm the same, still very sick, I've had 7.5 weeks of it now (not that I'm counting or anything :p) I'm 13+4 & had a few days there of just bad nausea but no vomiting but today I was getting sick all morning again.

From what I've heard from other people it usually lifts by around 16 weeks for the vast majority of people. So hopefully we're both near the end of it now. I think the 12 weeks that gets mentioned a lot is wishful thinking, it tends to be more like 14-16 weeks for most of the women I know who had it bad.

On the plus side I was at my GP today & I got to hear the heartbeat for the first time which was lovely :)

awh hearing the heartbeat im sure was so nice. Brings a positive and makes it worth it, I felt like that when I got my scan and everything looked ok :)

I have a new GP with this baby so I wonder if they will have the same equipment so I can hear the heartbeat. My last one never offered anything like that.

I think im just feeling down because last night was bad, I was so thirsty but every time I took even a little sip of water, my stomach felt like a washing machine and today I vomited 5 times in the space of an hour. The feeling is so horrible.

oh another thing, with this being my second child, I have felt movement from 11 weeks. its so strange, I think I was about 20-22 weeks to feel it the last time. its weird how everything is so different second time round!

It's tough going alright, I haven't really been able to enjoy being pregnant yet cos I've been so ill. At my worst I was vomiting 20+ times a day & couldn't keep a thing down. There were days where I just lay in bed vomiting into a bucket all day, I felt like I was dying! I'm gonna have to visit the dentist soon, am a bit worried I've damaged my teeth.

The machine my GP used was a doppler, I think they're common enough in GP surgeries so hopefully you'll get to hear it this time around.

That's mad that you've felt movement from so early on, wow! It's my first so I'm not expecting to feel anything for a long time yet.

I feel the exact same Sarahlee. This is my second child and I'm so depressed with feeling so crap all the time. I wasn't sick hardly at all with my son. I'm fourteen weeks as well and I don't feel like it's ever going to lift. I'm still wrecked all the time. I feel like I can't be a proper mammy to my son as when I'm home from work I'm just so tired.

I'm starting pregnancy yoga tonight which I'm hoping will help lift me a little from this slump. I did it throughout my last pregnancy and found it great for keeping flexible and then helped focus me during labour. Hopefully I can stay awake!

• Advertisement

Nead21 wrote: »
    I feel the exact same Sarahlee. This is my second child and I'm so depressed with feeling so crap all the time. I wasn't sick hardly at all with my son. I'm fourteen weeks as well and I don't feel like it's ever going to lift. I'm still wrecked all the time. I feel like I can't be a proper mammy to my son as when I'm home from work I'm just so tired.

I'm starting pregnancy yoga tonight which I'm hoping will help lift me a little from this slump. I did it throughout my last pregnancy and found it great for keeping flexible and then helped focus me during labour. Hopefully I can stay awake!

I think when you have had an easy enough pregnancy the first time, you kind of expect it to be the same and I read somewhere that if you didn't have morning sickness the first time then the second time its less likely huh wtf!

good luck with the pregnancy yoga. enjoy :)

Yeah I don't think I appreciated how easy I had it the last time. I my naivety I definitely expected the same. In saying that I think (half afraid to say it) that I'm beginning to feel better. Still a bit queasy in the evenings and night time but it's definitely nothing like a few weeks ago. I'm hoping the second trimester energy levels will start to kick in soon.

I've succumb to my maternity tights now :o

Hey ladies. Haven't really had the heart to post here for awhile. Still so sick. Have basically spent the last two and a half days in bed. Had acupuncture yesterday as was recommended by a few people I know, didn't help, actually had the worst day after it. Felt like I had the flu on top of all the sickness, every inch of my body was aching. Thankfully that passed by this morning. Have been craving awful white sliced bread! Something I would never eat. Alien body ;/

Also was very worried the other day after hearing someone I know had measles, as my blood tests came back and I have no immunity to rubella/German measles/measles/chicken pox. As I have never had a shot for anything, not even as a child. And it can be dangerous for baby especially before 20 weeks. But I have been lucky and am fine on that counts, so just avoiding all sick people ;)

Really hope most people are feeling better at this stage. And enjoying feeling extra special! My other half tells me almost every day what an amazing job I am doing, even though I am falling to pieces!

We are thinking of getting a Doppler to listen to baby at home. Has anyone used one at home?

Also my partner has got a new job and we will be moving for it. Which we are delighted about, but it moves me outside the area you can avail of the Domino scheme in Holles Street. Does anyone know what will happen in this case? Will I have to swap to a normal hospital attendance?I would rreally rather not!

Sorry to hear you're still so sick. I had two lots of acupuncture a few weeks ago but it didn't help me either. I think I've tried every remedy going at this stage & none of them made a difference! My nausea is still bad but I've only had one day with loads of vomiting this week which is great. I can cope with the nausea but not getting sick non-stop!

Ah your OH sounds so sweet, that's lovely :)

I know you can get dopplers online but don't have one myself, I'm happy enough to just hear the heartbeat at appointments. I've heard some people say they got them on inhealth.ie

Can't help you on the domino thing, not sure on that one.

Thanks!! Glad the throwing up is easing up for you. Have to say the throwing up has never been so bad for you, mostly just once a day or if my tummy gets way too empty. But sick to my core! Blessed I am off work at the moment anyways. Don't know how I would handle it, I honestly don't think I would be able to.

It still sometimes gives me a shock the idea that we will have a baby in six months!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Drdoc

So sorry to hear you're all still so sick.
    My terrible nausea and tiredness lifted on week 11 and have felt like a relatively normal person since, which is good as work is so busy at the moment. I was surprised too as it didn't lift til about 14 weeks the last time.
    With regards to home dopplers, I have access to one in work if needs be though I don't really tend to bother. Sometimes I think the home ones can be worrying for people if they can't find the heartbeat. I've actually also been feeling movement in the last few days, which is very early but I felt it very early on the last pregnancy so sort of expected it might happen again.
    Congrats wholeheartedly on your husbands new job! Afraid though I suspect they will make you move off the domino scheme as the midwives who do the postnatal visits etc would only be visiting people in certain catchment areas. Hope I'm wrong for your sake though!

Drdoc wrote: »
    Congrats wholeheartedly on your husbands new job! Afraid though I suspect they will make you move off the domino scheme as the midwives who do the postnatal visits etc would only be visiting people in certain catchment areas. Hope I'm wrong for your sake though!

Thanks Drdoc. I think you are right, I was guess that's what would happen but was hoping for something else! I will call the community midwives on Monday and just go through it with them. Definitely out of the catchment area but it's going to be so worth it, a lovely house and a wonderful place to bring up baby! And it's a good job, so no pressure on me going back to work after baby! Would love the first year off, if I can handle it. Few friends have suggested I might miss working too much!! We shall wait and see.

So exciting you are feeling movements already. I still can't imagine what it is going to be like!! OH is dying for it too. Happy for you that you are feeling normal and well. I am SO excited to be back to myself at some point. And actually hungry! Haven't been hungry since November, just eating to get rid of the nausea! No fun ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

Aww every time I see a due in July thread, it makes me nostalgic. I was due on July 24th 2013. I went 2 weeks over and had my beautiful daughter on 7th of August. It's both a very nerve wrecking and exciting time. Good luck to you all and if you have any questions, fire away.

Thanks!! Glad the throwing up is easing up for you. Have to say the throwing up has never been so bad for you, mostly just once a day or if my tummy gets way too empty. But sick to my core! Blessed I am off work at the moment anyways. Don't know how I would handle it, I honestly don't think I would be able to.

It still sometimes gives me a shock the idea that we will have a baby in six months!!! ;)

That's great that you've been off work. I had so many sick days in December but there wasn't much I could do about that, I was so ill. Thankfully I have a very understanding boss. Even the days I was in people could see I was really unwell so most people had already guessed I was pregnant ages ago.

Hard to believe we'll have babies in around 6 months! I'm not sure it's sunk in yet!

Drdoc, I've heard the same said about home dopplers, that they can cause unnecessary worry as it can be hard to find the heartbeat. My GP has one anyway so I'll get to hear it whenever I'm in there. Glad to hear you're better, it gives me hope when I hear of other people who are better. Makes me believe someday soon I'll feel normal again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 jodyk

Hi ladies, I got the angel sounds doppler from inhealth.ie - it was €35 and a fiver postage and it arrived the next day. I was 11 + 5 when it came and luckily I found the heartbeat straight away. My hubby thought it was a terrible idea in case we couldn't find the heartbeat and would worry. I must be one of the lucky ones though cos anytime I've tried it in the past few weeks, I've been able to find the heartbeat immediately and then just turn it off after a few seconds. I find it reassuring in the long wait between scans, but I can totally understand how it could needlessly worry someone who can't find the heartbeat just cos baby is facing different way or something :-)

Advertisement