Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thoughts on the next life. Do you fear death?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I know that I'm going to heaven after I die

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I don't fear death itself as such , I don't believe in any afterlife that when I'm gone I'm gone. I think some part of me will always live on through my son , and in his children....the same way I carry my mother and father/grandparents in me in some ways...that's comforting.

However , I'll be honest I do fear the process of dying...I would fear the pain and knowing I am dying. I've seen loved ones die and how it happened...and it can be long and horrible. I'd like the option of pulling the plug myself to be honest.

But life is a journey , we all will face death so were not alone...circle of life and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I'm more afraid of an afterlife than nothing.

I mean come on, no one knows what an afterlife might be like, but everyone knows what nothing is like.

No one knows what nothing is like, even trying to think what nothing is like is something. The human mind cannot understand not existing because all it has known to this point is to exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I had a dream/vision of my death (not saying my death will be like this or the following event will happen, just what I experienced), it happened around May/June 2001 before any 9/11. I was killed in an airstrike from a plane that hummed and there was lots of them, it is only in recent times I realised they were drones, a vision of the future when it came to the drones. Ireland was being attacked in a war, as there were drones coming from a southerly direction.
    A missile was fired close to where I was and in my dream/vision I felt myself dying and it was peaceful and then I saw a very bright white light and felt a presence in the light. Then I woke up by jumping upright in the bed.
    Yes it was weird, but it was the most vivid dream I ever had.
    But I see the white light is explained here.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-23672150
    A surge of electrical activity in the brain could be responsible for the vivid experiences described by near-death survivors, scientists report.
    From bright white lights to out-of-body sensations and feelings of life flashing before their eyes, the experiences reported by people who have come close to death but survived are common the world over.

However, studying this in humans is a challenge, and these visions are little understood.

From my experience all I have to say is dying wasn't so bad. But I want to be old when I die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Sure all the interesting people are in hell.

Be worse if every animal you ate also made it to the afterlife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Everybody's wondering what and where they all came from
    Everybody's worrying about where they're gonna go when the whole thing is done
    But no one knows for certain so it's all the same to me
    Think I'll just let the mystery be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm not afraid of dying but I am afraid of dying before I'm ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I don't want to see a ghost
    It's a sight that I fear most
    I'd rather have a piece of toast
    And watch the evening news

Life, oh life, oh life, oh life
    Doo, doo doo doo
    Life, oh life, oh life, oh life
    Doo, doo doo doo

I admit that I'm petrified of death. Even just typing this causes my belly to tighten. The nothingness of it. Sometimes I wish I had faith to give me comfort but I don't. I believe that when we die that's it. There is no after life. There will be no tiny atoms breaking up and dispersing in to the cosmos. We die and that's it. I hope as I get older my mind will open more to the possibility of something after this life and that will make the inevitability of death a little easier to face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I find the thought of nothingness comforting. I wasn't bothered about being in a state of nothingness before i was born.
    The idea of living for trillions of years, then trillions of years after that, then trillions after that and so on.. no thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Not even remotely. Er, not that I welcome it either.. Now, the pain that usually preceeds death, I'd like to avoid, because I'm a bit of a sissy, but wether I do or not, that's all up to the future..
    Every time I cross a railway, the question pops up and the scenario plays out: 'What if there was a train right there in yer peripheral, going full pelt? All you could see, right outside your window, was a big black buffer?'
    Never happens, obviously. But you can't help wondering..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

branie2 wrote: »
    I know that I'm going to heaven after I die

I'd like to experience heaven before I die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't think people would be so afraid of dying if we were all guaranteed a certain lifespan.

The thing is though, that there are so many things that can happen to snatch us away long before our time. Heart attacks, stroke, cancer, accidents, etc.

I think the figure is something like 1 in 3 of people don't reach 65, but those that reach 66 tend to continue living healthily into their 80's (hence the avg lifespan of about 80). So already on this thread there's two dozen people that statistically will be dead before 65.

That's the scary part. I think we have to realize that thinking about death as a young, or relatively young, person, is scary. Those who live to old age tend to worry far less about it because they've largely accomplished so much - raised families, seen them grow up and have children of their own, etc.

But no-one, not one single person, has that guarantee, even if they live to be the worlds oldest person, they were living day to day the same as everyone else with no guarantee.

I don't like the thought of never seeing or meeting my family and friends ever again. That's just the most terrifying aspect...the brutal finality of death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Everybody's wondering what and where they all came from
    Everybody's worrying about where they're gonna go when the whole thing is done
    But no one knows for certain so it's all the same to me
    Think I'll just let the mystery be

I wasn't keen on it at first but I absolutely love that song now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

National Sheep Conference, Feb 2, Galway.

"Sheep, Sheep, Sheep....

Nothing else."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I am a religious person, but I still have doubts about how it all fits together. I draw comfort from the fact that the universe is huge and I am small. Something bigger and much more intelligent than me seems to have created it all, and I am happy that they will hopefully look after me when I die...either that or I will be gone, and that's it forever. Either way, it's going to happen I suppose

Advertisement