Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Setter losing weight.

Options
  • 13-11-2014 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Well lads just a quick question for ye. I have a 15 month old English setter, he is a really big strong dog but in the last 3 weeks he has started to loose a lot of weight and become very skinny? I feed him at the same times every day (8:15 in the morning and 8:00 at night) and this hasn't changed? just wondering do any of ye have any idea why this is.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 pheasantmad

Are you hunting him hard, setters and pointers go through a lot of mileage in a day and as the weather is getting colder need more feed to keep up a suitable weight, i myself feed add about a extra quarter to there rations during the hunting season compared to the rest of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Does he have diarrhoea?
    We had a little terroir who started to loose weight rapidly and it turned out to be diabetes. It's worth getting checked because it took so long for us to get a diagnosis from an inept vet that we lost the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭allan450

not been funny when was the last time you wormed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Jimbob79

I feed my dogs double what they get in the summer months. They are a lot more active now that they are being worked regularly. That and the colder weather I find the dogs need more. I also increase their intake of carbohydrates (rice, bread and pasta). My pack keep there condition all year round.

As posted earlier make sure the dog is wormed regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭sniperman

tape worms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭hathcock

could be any of a number of problems,the hunting season takes a lot from a hunting dog therefore increased rations are necessary to maintain condition,worming on a regular basis is also a consideration,if either of these don't fix the problem a trip to a good vet maybe necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭springer man

wormed him yesterday lads so we will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭snipe49

Well lads just a quick question for ye. I have a 15 month old English setter, he is a really big strong dog but in the last 3 weeks he has started to loose a lot of weight and become very skinny? I feed him at the same times every day (8:15 in the morning and 8:00 at night) and this hasn't changed? just wondering do any of ye have any idea why this is.
    One of the reasons i don't keep a english setter is it is so hard to put weight on them. now u have wormed him that may help.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭springer man

snipe49 wrote: »
    One of the reasons i don't keep a english setter is it is so hard to put weight on them. now u have wormed him that may help.

really? I never knew that? there not easy come by these days

check his **** today and see is their worms in it.if not bring him to the vet mate for a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

HAVE SAME PROBLEM SAME BREED GIVE HIM TRIPE ,RAW EGGS,SARDINES AND CHICKEN FAT FOR 2 WEEKS EVERY MORNING ALONG WITH HIS NIGHTLY FEED HE ATE THE LOT LOOKS LIKE A HALF STARVED DOG ANY BODY THAT DID NOT NO ME WOULD SAY HE WAS NEGLETED.HAVE 3 RED SETTERS THEY ARE AS BIG AS HORSES ,TOOK HIM TO THE VET SHE LAUGHED AT ME SHE SAID SOME DOGS ARE LIKE THAT, HAD BLOOD TEST DONE HES 100% ALL HIS LITTER MATES ARE BIG FINE DOGS BUT HIS GRANDFATHER WAS LIKE HIM HE MUST HAVE HIS GENE,HE IS THE SIZE OF A SMALL BITCH BUT HUNTS LIKE HELL.ALL I CAN SAY IS NOT TO WORRY ABOUT IT .

spot on their blackpearl regards the food intake

Advertisement