Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai proposals to ban firearms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Sparks wrote: »
    That's not how I read that. I read that as "feck's sakes, haven't we enough crap to worry about? Long-finger this and let it die in committee after the election". (Odds of this government making it to April 2016 are a bit slim right now... )
    thats the other view on it , im not saying they are doing an fantastic job, They are trying to play it out a bit , then maybe let things go blank a bit and maybe rush through it at the finish line.
    Good though they arent getting it through it through parliament quickly is what i mean

Do you think it will get through sparks to a bill and if so , when do you think is the timeframe

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

bpb101 wrote: »
    forgot to ask when i read this but what is a limited firearms cert . Is it halfway between restricted and a normal one?

Used to be an old form of shotgun licence. Didn't think it existed anymore.

Do you think it will get through sparks to a bill and if so , when do you think is the timeframe

Anyone's guess at this stage, but if they put a rush on it, end of next year *maybe*. 2006 Act took two years from start to signed. 2009 Act took about 18 months if I remember right.

Used to be an old form of shotgun licence. Didn't think it existed anymore.
    10,000 they say?

also it says 16 rifle and pistol ranges , would this not have to be , actually range locations. As some places have more than 1 physical range , no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Good though they arent getting it through it through parliament quickly is what i mean

My 2cents on this is that while the government is in this weak position (mortally wounded by Irish Water and near the end of their term, anyway) they can't afford to antagonise even a small number of voters, by trying to push through unpopular or unnecessary legislation.

They are like an old man who is just out of hospital - he must avoid any infection or trip hazard, because anything out of the ordinary could just be enough to finish him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Also before the last election FF managed to alienate a large section of the hunting fraternity with the ban on the Meath hunt.

Perhaps 5,000 matching down the quays in Waterford to support maybe 60 members of the hunt had an effect.
    After all they represented 300,000 people who take part in rural sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,016 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Not to forget the FG/Lab "support" for RISE to get elected,promising letssee a open debate on the Stag hunting issue...Foisted to Lab who are anti field sports and they said it wasnt going to happen as it went against their anti bloos sport ethos.

A review of the explosives acts and reloading.......within their term of office....IOW just tidy up the current industrial commercial premises legislation to proably,instead of having to have the bunker made of 60 mm concrete,40 mm for hobby reloading will do ,and the fire alarm need only cost five grand instead of twenty grand or some such foolery.:rolleyes:

Election and political promises ,especially in Ireland are not worth the oxygen they are spoken with.
    Never forget,never forgive!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

forgot to ask when i read this but what is a limited firearms cert . Is it halfway between restricted and a normal one?

As already stated by sparks, they are shotgun certificates.

But to be more specific they are shotgun certs licenced on the back of one farm! So as such they generally point to farmers shotguns. Only one person can claim the limited licence for a particular farm.

Thus you can now discern more information from the firearms breakdown.

Irish shooters digest has a article out now! I felt disappointment upon reading the 'sporting coalition's piece on reloading. To say the piece needs an injection of vigour would be an understatement.

It's seems to me that this single item will effect the largest potential number of people should it be maintained in it's restrictive form.
    It's incredulous that such egregious controls are to be perpetuated especially upon consideration that reloading in ones own home is ubiquitous in the civilised world or in nearly any country for that matter that allows citizens to licence, own and shoot firearms.

Even the 'working group' (AGS/DOJ) stated that one of the main reasons for reloading was the "cost-saving." This would be completely lost on foot of range-membership costs, surly this should have highlighted as a major impediment.
    I can't help feeling let down by what seems to be solely 'lip service' that might quell any discontentment. The article seemed good elsewhere and drove home the important points.
    Anyone else see it?

Zx

Zxthinger wrote: »
    Anyone else see it?
    Haven't read that thing in years. And we can't quote it here because of Irish copyright laws (thank you Minister Sherlock... mutter....).

• Advertisement

Haven't read that thing in years. And we can't quote it here because of Irish copyright laws (thank you Minister Sherlock... mutter....).
    Well considering the gravity of the situation I would think it prudent to examine the "sporting coalition's" opinions contained therein.

Zxthinger wrote: »
    Well considering the gravity of the situation I would think it prudent to examine the "sporting coalition's" opinions contained therein.

Well, if the ISD will give it's permission to reprint the article here, go for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭clivej

Report in the Kildare Nationalist page 11. I haven't got to read it yet

http://www.kildare-nationalist.ie/news/

Says in the article Jan 9th for the submissions....Would somebody please clarify from the DOJ and NARGC,which fruppin date is the offical date???:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Says in the article Jan 9th for the submissions....Would somebody please clarify from the DOJ and NARGC,which fruppin date is the offical date???:rolleyes:

From the Minister in post 506 on this thread a week ago:
    The Report of this Working Group was published on 13 November and submissions on the Report have been sought from stakeholders andthe public by 31 January 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭SVI40

All,

The deadline for submissions is:

3:00 p.m. Friday 9th January 2015

http://www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/mediazone/pressreleases/name-25313-en.html

The date does seem to be changing!

I love how they have two dates mentioned in that one press release!
    Best to use the earlier one just in case...

What sort of gobalooms do we elect and have running this country at all??When they cant even decide on a freakin DATE!!:mad:

Ivana Bacik (LAB)Katherine Zappone (IND) Two known anti gun ownership Senators on the comittee already!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jeff_Target

Hi All.

There are 2 separate submissions.

1. Department of Justice. This is the original request from the Department, and is closing on 15th Jan 2015.
    Submissions to be sent to: firearms_inbox @ justice.ie

These must be returned by 15th Jan 2015 (Was originally 15th December 2014, but has been extended)

2. Justice Committee. David Staunton TD is asking all shooters to provide a submission to the Justice Committee within the Oireachtas on this subject.
    Submissions to be sent to: firearmsreview @ oireachtas.ie

These must be returned (E-Mail only) by 9th Jan 2015.

It is important that we send submissions to both the Justice Department, and the Justice Committee.

Hope this clears up the 2 dates and requests for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Ivana Bacik (LAB)Katherine Zappone (IND) Two known anti gun ownership Senators on the comittee already!

Sorry to go OT for a minute, but they're anti- a lot of things. I would have had a lot of respect for both of them in the past, but based on recent attitudes in another matter, neither of them will ever get so much as a 20th preference from me ever again.

Ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Heckler

With regards to the upcoming proposals on firearms licensing please consider the following. As a target shooter i currently own two firearms, a .22 calibre bolt action rifle and a .22 semi-automatic pistol. I am a law abiding citizen of the state who has been deemed suitable by An Garda Siochana to be responsible enough and of good enough character to hold these firearms without fear of public safety or concern.
    My firearms are stored in a safe which is bolted to the floor and wall and monitored by a 24/7 alarm. I take them out twice a week where they are brought to an authorised range to be used. They are

then brought home and placed back in the same safe. My firearms are of no threat to the public.
    Criminals do not use licensed firearms in their commission of a crime.

If these new proposals are enacted it will result in the closing down of my local gun club. A club that has been of good standing for over 20 years without incident. A club that provides a social outlet for

many other law-abiding citizens, a club that boosts the local economy when international competitions are held and has been founded and kept going through the hard volunteer work and fund raising

efforts of its members.

Did you know an Irish shooting team recently brought home 25 gold medals from an international competition ? No ? Neither did anybody else because of the media bias towards firearms where they

only report on firearms when they are used in crime. With no disrespect to Katie Taylor and her professionalism its a puzzle to me how two people beating each other into submission is lauded from the

rooftops while the achievements of the above mentioned shooting team goes unrecognised.
    There are over 200,000 firearms licences in the state at the moment. Considering that many people have a number of licences this figure probably in truth means about 100,000. Thats 100,000 voters.

Each of these 100,000 voters can most likely, at a very conservative estimate, count on 5 more supporters to oppose these draconian new measures that will do nothing to stop gun crime yet punish

Garda vetted, responsible citizens. That's 500,000 votes.

I understand the reaction that many have as soon as they hear the word "gun" but its a reaction born out of ignorance. As mentioned above over 100,000 licenced firearms holders go about enjoying their

sport, be it target shooting or hunting, week in week out without incident. If you could possibly take the time to visit a shooting range (where you would be most welcome) you would see the standards

adhered to with regards to safety. No-one shooting today takes the use of firearms lightly.

I reiterate,

Criminals do not use licensed firearms in their commission of a crime.

Thank you for your consideration of the above.

Yours sincerely,

Bout to send this off to a few TD's. Any corrections ? Not sure about the Taylor reference.

Generally not a great approach to take swipes at another sport to defend our own to be honest Heckler (even though it's an easy thing to do since we have a better safety record than pretty much every other sport out there). The submission doesn't lose anything if you take that out, the points still stand.

Yup, was thinking that alright. I'll take it out.

Also, when talking about examples (like your gun club), the more specific you are and the more data you have, the better. So instead of "over 20 years", give the actual year it was founded, list off the medals and work the members did in that time, that sort of thing.

The medals list would take up another couple of pages ! None mine sadly..

That's not a bad thing :D But maybe just count off the number of medals from internationals and nationals so...

You could point out however that we have a safer record than boxing in the last fourty years in Ireland.

...and GAA and Soccer and Cycling and Athletics and Sailing and Rubgy and ... well, you get the idea...

very good post above there .
    Might be worth saying about the chap who won the junior world championship there a month or so ago.
    Also i would probable mention , (that presuming your pistol is not an Olympics style) that under this legislation change that your pistol would be taken off you. Maybe trow in some figures regarding that. How much you have invested, and if you know how much your club has invested in their pistol range , trow in that figure. (These TD and Gardas love the figures)

What id say you would get back is a long story saying that we dont want to stop the sport ,just stop criminals .blah blah blah

• Advertisement

very good post above there .
    Might be worth saying about the chap who won the junior world championship there a month or so ago.
    Also i would probable mention , (that presuming your pistol is not an Olympics style) that under this legislation change that your pistol would be taken off you. Maybe trow in some figures regarding that. How much you have invested, and if you know how much your club has invested in their pistol range , trow in that figure. (These TD and Gardas love the figures)

What id say you would get back is a long story saying that we dont want to stop the sport ,just stop criminals .blah blah blah

No doubt the standard reply telling us what we already know. A commitee has been set up.........welcoming submissions....yada yada.

Advertisement