Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai proposals to ban firearms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Under the same blanket of privilege his half baked facts can be challenged as well.
    You don't need privilege to question statistics; you just present data and do the math. It's when you make comments about the person presenting the statistics that things like defamation and privilege crop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭clivej

clivej wrote: »
    I got to meet my local TD on Monday to discuss all this.
    Went very well and he took on a lot of our thoughts on the AGS proposal.

What did come out was that as many people need to do the same with their LOCAL TD's

I also had another visit from my CPO, that's 5.
    yubabill1 wrote: »
    Did you need 5?

Well I did put in for a restricted license on my 7+1 24" pump action shotgun. :D:D

I don't mind him calling now as I have the best security system.
    Monitored alarm, CCTV with off site recording, guard dog, wife (good at nagging) :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

clivej wrote: »
    Well I did put in for a restricted license on my 7+1 24" pump action shotgun. :D:D

Monitored alarm, CCTV with off site recording, guard dog, wife (good at nagging) :):)

Why do you need 8 rounds though.
    What's the reasons that you gave them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭clivej

bpb101 wrote: »
    Why do you need 8 rounds though.
    What's the reasons that you gave them?

My reasons would be much the same as anyone else that would need a restricted SG.

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Sparks wrote: »
    You don't need privilege to question statistics; you just present data and do the math. It's when you make comments about the person presenting the statistics that things like defamation and privilege crop up.

Correct and true Sparks but Dail privilege opens up the opportunities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,016 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Bumped into my local TD yesterday.He said it should be on the agenda and Dail telly next Wednesday. ??Anyone want to confirm?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Yeah, it's next Wednesday at 1000 and 1430 Grizz.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

Wont be discussing anything to do with us at 2.30...

What's on this week

The Joint Committee on Justice, Defence and Equality will meet on Wednesday 14 January 2015 in CR2 LH2000 at 2.30 p.m. to engage with members of the Garda Inspectorate on the Report by the Inspectorate on Crime Investigation 2014 I]Representatives from the Garda Inspectorate[/I] [I]will be in attendance[/I

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Well I did put in for a restricted license on my 7+1 24" pump action shotgun.

Monitored alarm, CCTV with off site recording, guard dog, wife (good at nagging)

Last edited by clivej; Today at 13:49.

Had to check clivej, there is a comma between guard dog and wife lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

knockon wrote: »

What's on this week

The Joint Committee on Justice, Defence and Equality will meet on Wednesday 14 January 2015 in CR2 LH2000 at 2.30 p.m. to engage with members of the Garda Inspectorate on the Report by the Inspectorate on Crime Investigation 2014 I]Representatives from the Garda Inspectorate[/I] [I]will be in attendance[/I

In this Indo article from last June Minister Fitzgerald warns of the "gradual accumulation of questionable practices which pass into daily routine without scrutiny."

AGS also getting a new independent Policing Authority (headed by ex-Revenue Josephine Feehily)on foot of the recent Garda Inspectorate Report

“The new independent Policing Authority will bring a further layer of public accountability to the administration of policing services, while it will also provide a new engine to drive reforms of the policing system and practices to ensure that An Garda Síochána is fit to meet the ongoing and emerging challenges of 21st century policing.”

High language.

• Advertisement

Speaking of AGS and things related.It seems that it is finally official that PULSE is a bit of a POS system according to the Garda Inspectorate deputy cheif inspector Mark Toland and must be replaced ASAP as it isnt reporting statistics of crime properly.:rolleyes:... I hate to tell Mr Toland this but any member of AGS who has to use that yoke on a daily basis or an Irish gunowner could have saved him some footwork and a lot of loose change in taxpayer money and told him the same for free!
    Anyway,nice to see that yet again we can point out that it the main statistic and information gatherer and dispenser on crime figures has been found to be utter pants by officaldom and removes even further creditability from AGS propositions. Not to mind that someone cant do their sums either in how many liscense holders and liscensed guns there are out there.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Speaking of AGS and things related.It seems that it is finally official that PULSE is a bit of a POS system according to the Garda Inspectorate deputy cheif inspector Mark Toland and must be replaced ASAP

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

...it is finally official that PULSE is a bit of a POS system according to the Garda Inspectorate deputy cheif inspector Mark Toland and must be replaced ASAP...

It's been a dog's breakfast since the start. Too many chefs spoil the broth.

Made by company A, supplied by company B, system integration by company C, interfered with by committee D and ministerial advisers E, investigated by experts F, reviewed by G, upgraded by H and on and on and on...

Burn it to the ground and replace it with something written by people who know what they're doing.

Never gonna happen - too many crony snouts in the trough.

OzCam wrote: »

Made by company A, supplied by company B, system integration by company C, interfered with by committee D and ministerial advisers E, investigated by experts F, reviewed by G, upgraded by H and on and on and on...

Burn it to the ground and replace it with something written by people who know what they're doing.

no money is spent on these things. Money in ireland is simple just fúcked away. its a joke , Just the other day i heard that like 2 weeks after dublin bus put up fairs , they decided that they should conduct a survey on what colour they should paint their busses.

There is a big problem in ireland with goverment and officals. Corruption and tax evasion and lack of common sense is though the roof.

not to go into this here , but dennis o brein getting another doggy contract for water meters and he pays his taxs elsewhere.

He also owns something like 30% of all petrol stations , and anybody wants to guess whos on the board of directors? Brain Crown- Im sure that job was posted on jobs.ie

Also a lot of crimes like muggings and other crimes you find go into the garda note book and are never heard from again. There was an artical here about cso figures and garda figures

What will happen is they will eventually upgrade the pulse system and they will trow the contract away and get some other ****ty service that for maybe a billion or so.

Of course im not a garda and i dont know how exactly pulse works , but they could easily do something. If any body seen the facebook graph search (which i think they got rid of) it was brilliant

you could just type in friends who live in dublin.
    picked up that that friends was a key word, and dublin was a place. Then it gave an index list of friends who lived in dublin.
    The thing could be easily done for a new type of pulse.
    Firearms Owners who live in ireland

Give everybody a profile like facebook and it would work well , instead of friends have family and or known associates

clearly a modified version would be needed , but i can tell you , it didnt cost facebook a billion or so

OzCam wrote: »

Hmm considering most govt electronic projects haven't been really successful,or better said ,utter disasters and money pits, in Ireland over the last decade or so.Should we be anyway surprised??:rolleyes:

Hmm considering most govt electronic projects haven't been really successful,or better said ,utter disasters and money pits, in Ireland over the last decade or so.Should we be anyway surprised??:rolleyes:
    You didn't have to include the "in Ireland" bit there Grizzly, the success rate for large software projects is only about 39%, and that's worldwide in both public and private sectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Cass wrote: »
    Just sent mine 2 minutes ago to both addresses.

Lads don't forget that Friday at 3 pm is the closing time for the firearmsreview@oireachtas.ie submissions and next Thursday for firearms_inbox@justice.ie

So is the 31th Jan nonsense, I thought the ministers rep at the committee stated that submissions were being taken up till 31jan?
    Is the above Thursday, today the 15th?
    Is the second dead line today?

I failed to get any submissions in as I was banned for a month and let things slip! Am I too late to get one in today,
    Thanks cass.

No, the deadline that was to have been today was pushed back to Jan31. So you still have some time.

knockon wrote: »
    That's this week; we're up next week.

Sources close to the Justice Committee told me they have received north of 200 submissions.

That's individual submissions - form letters were not accepted.

• Advertisement

Sources close to the Justice Committee told me they have received north of 200 submissions.
    That's a heck of a lot of reading to do in two weeks even if you were doing it fulltime...

That's a heck of a lot of reading to do in two weeks even if you were doing it fulltime...

As optimistic as I am, I can't see everybody reading all of them.
    The members of the committe at best will just scan through them. They do have 2 days off every week so local matters and for things like this (Monday and Fridays) but tbh if I was given 200 sumbissions on something i hadent a clue about . at what 4 pages each on adverage. That's arround 800 pages.

I hope they will read them all espcially ones that were put up here which were very good. But I'd would say they will only take a selection of them or scan them.
    Of course we will never know.
    Our biggest chance of influence is if we are allowed to make our case at the committe.

bpb101 wrote: »
    As optimistic as I am, I can't see everybody reading all of them.
    The members of the committe at best will just scan through them. They do have 2 days off every week so local matters and for things like this (Monday and Fridays) but tbh if I was given 200 sumbissions on something i hadent a clue about . at what 4 pages each on adverage. That's arround 800 pages.

I hope they will read them all espcially ones that were put up here which were very good. But I'd would say they will only take a selection of them or scan them.
    Of course we will never know.
    Our biggest chance of influence is if we are allowed to make our case at the committe.

This is one case where quantity matters most.

Had it in my head that 200 would be the threshold to be regarded a considerable number. That's a lot of dedicated citizens taking exception to this report.

Assume the usual antis will put in their 2c - gawwwd that'll give the committee a headache, I'll bet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Zxthinger wrote: »
    So is the 31th Jan nonsense, I thought the ministers rep at the committee stated that submissions were being taken up till 31jan?
    You quoted my post in #712, but missed my post in #742:
    Cass wrote: »
    It is. My apologies.

They have extended the deadline twice from December to the 15th of Jan, then to the 31st Jan.

Thing is, unless someone is writing out two sets of submissions if you have your one ready to send before 3 pm today, then there is no reason why you cannot send it to the justice e-mail too.

I sent the same one to both. Did not see the need to change the details simply because it's going to justice. I mean they're going to see what is in both so there was no point trying to say one thing to one group and another to the other.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

This is one case where quantity matters most.

Had it in my head that 200 would be the threshold to be regarded a considerable number. That's a lot of dedicated citizens taking exception to this report.

of course you are assuming all 200 are against it. There will undoubtably be a few crazed loons submitting too.

I submitted to the committee, should I submit again to DoJ

had non restricted pistol license just renew , turned round in 10 days!, My super is a nice guy too.

BoatMad wrote: »
    of course you are assuming all 200 are against it. There will undoubtably be a few crazed loons submitting too.

I submitted to the committee, should I submit again to DoJ

had non restricted pistol license just renew , turned round in 10 days!, My super is a nice guy too.

Well done on the submission - takes dedication to put one together.

I submitted to both, though I think the Justice Committee is the more important.

If you want to keep your pistol, probably best to send an email to Crime 4.

Let's hope the loons come across as loons.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

If you want to keep your pistol, probably best to send an email to Crime 4.

whats crime 4

Yup, the Clerk confirmed that this morning.
    And the agenda just went up on the oireachtas website:
    What's on this week
    The Joint Committee on Justice, Defence and Equality will meet on Wednesday 21 January 2015 in CR2 LH2000 at 10 a.m. to consider the following:

Hearings on submissions received in relation to the review of firearms licensing
    Session A: 10 a.m.
    [Mr. Nicholas Flood; Mr. KJE Balinski-Jvndzill; Representatives from the Wild Deer Association of Ireland; Harbour House Sports Club; National Target Shooting Association and National Association of Regional Game Councils (NARGC) will be in attendance];
    Session B: 2.30 p.m.
    [Mr. Phillip Slattery; Mr. Mark Dennehy; Mr. Jeff McCann; Dr. Albert Jordan followed by representatives from the Irish Firearms Dealers Association; National Rifle Association of Ireland; and National Association of Sporting, Rifle and Pistol Club will be in attendance]

So yeah, I got asked to go in. Would have said earlier, but we had a deadline of 12 noon today to submit our opening statements and it caught me on the hop and you don't want to give an opening statement that steps on the toes of other groups because that'd just waste time so it took a while to figure out what I wanted to say and you only have five minutes to say it (I've attached mine below). I was considering using this image as my opening statement, but unfortunately they have problems with powerpoint presentations:

3861cee0d9bd600e9e620f120349c5e8ab579a927d1d85f72726613bcc0aeead.jpg

Ohhhhh! THIS is going to be good afternoon TV on Wed!!:D Well done to all three who got chosen from here..Hold your zeros lads in that very target rich enviroment.:D,a lot of blood sweat and tears and effort is riding on you three. Break a leg and godspeed!

Grizzly45

PS why not just blow up Capt Piccard to poster size and take him along?

• Advertisement

Geez, no pressure :D
    And there's more than three, thirteen at least by my count.

Advertisement